ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 01:46 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Adjustment

When driving the ES at night, I see a Dark Shadow up ahead of me. I need to turn on the High Beams to light up the dark area.

Does anybody else have the same problem ?? Has anyone adjusted the headlights to overcome the dark shadow ??

~ Cap
Old 04-17-07, 05:59 PM
RobF350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the headlights are self leveling, you cant adjust them

maybe you just need to get used to them
Old 04-17-07, 09:22 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobF350
the headlights are self leveling, you cant adjust them

maybe you just need to get used to them
You can indeed adjust them. There are a pair of screws for each side of the headlights - one for the highbeams and one for the low (HID) beams. The high beam's screws are visibile under a hole towards the outer edge and front corner of the hood. The adjustment screws for the low beams can be found by removing the rubber washer/gasket thing (the thing that keeps the hood aligned with the fenders when closed). Once the two black rubber alignment gaskets are removed, you can see the headlight adjustment screws immediately below.

I've made adjustments on my own car already because I saw shadows just as described in the original post. Its amazing how much a little adjustment will help. But be careful not to aim too hight - you'll cause a lot of glare.

...For reference, the instructions for adjusting can be found on page 324 of your owner's manual.
Old 04-17-07, 11:12 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy

You can indeed adjust them. There are a pair of screws for each side of the headlights - one for the highbeams and one for the low (HID) beams.
LexusGuy .....

I did see the reference to an adjustment in the manual, but it said, Vertical. I was looking for Horizontal (but what do I know).

It also said to make the same amount of turns on both screws. Did you lift both hi and lo beams, or just the Low ?? My High Beams are OK.

Thanks for your response.....

~ Cap
Old 04-18-07, 04:38 PM
RobF350
Driver

what do the self adjusters do then? do they just make sure the lights stay aimed where you have them set at?

my old ES had a bubble level on the headlights and were obviously not adjustable, I have not checked to see if the new ES has them
Old 04-18-07, 08:21 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

yah, I adjusted both screws the same amount but found out that you can actually adjust one independent of the other - your high/low beams will just be much higer/lower than the others. I'm not sure about the horizontal adjustment since the AFS is supposed to work to take care of that.

Rob, I believe the self leveling is used as you describe. They should only keep the headlights at the same level you adjust them to. Next time you drive, try to brake so that your front end dives a little bit, then notice your headlight's pattern on the car in front - you'll see the lights "level" themselves by moving up when your front end is diving and then moving back down when you're stopped. They're also useful when you have a heavy load in the trunk and your front end is higher up than the rear - they'll self adjust by pointing downwards so as to not blind others.
Old 04-18-07, 10:24 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy

yah, I adjusted both screws the same amount but found out that you can actually adjust one independent of the other - your high/low beams will just be much higer/lower than the others. I'm not sure about the horizontal adjustment since the AFS is supposed to work to take care of that.
LexusGuy.....

I adjusted just the front screw on both sides. Took it for a test drive and nobody flashed their lights at me, so I must be OK. When getting close to the car in front of me, the light pattern cuts off just below the rear window and top of trunk, same as my GX.

Of coarse, vertical means up and down. I was thinking of moving the horizontal beam pattern, up and down. Takes me a while......

~ Cap
Old 04-19-07, 01:41 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Capirato
LexusGuy.....
I adjusted just the front screw on both sides. Took it for a test drive and nobody flashed their lights at me, so I must be OK.~ Cap
Only ignorant people accept that as reality. Put them against a flat wall and check them with a tape measure.........
Old 04-19-07, 03:05 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

yah, I found using something like a closed garage door makes it really easy to measure.
Old 04-19-07, 05:55 PM
RobF350
Driver

easy fella, how would he know how much to adjust without driving the car?
he had a dark area, he adjusted the lights to brighten up this dark area.

what good would a tape measure do if the oncoming drivers were blinded?

what measurement would he be aiming for?
Old 04-20-07, 05:52 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by RobF350

easy fella, how would he know how much to adjust without driving the car?
he had a dark area, he adjusted the lights to brighten up this dark area.

what good would a tape measure do if the oncoming drivers were blinded?

what measurement would he be aiming for?
RobF350.....

Thanks for your support.

I aimed the headlights at a door than has grooved panels. I covered with a towel the headlight I was not adjusting. I raised the beam an inch or so. Then I repeated the process with on the other side.

I took the car for a short test drive, but quickly noticed I still had a shadow. I returned home and raised the beams another inch or so. Then I took it for a longer drive which included a two lane curvy road with a lot of traffic. No one flashed their lights. Also when following a car, the light beam was below the rear window.

It would be nice if Lexus provided measurements, as to high up a wall the beam should be and how far from the wall to place the car.

~ Cap
Old 04-08-08, 07:53 PM
kewl
Rookie

For what is it worth, not much I know, I took my 350 in for service and ask them to check headlight adjustment...I told them I felt they were too low.

The Tech agreed and adjusted them to 'Lexus' specs. At least that's what the paperwork says.

The lights are now anything but low. I had feared that I would get flashed often on the way home, but not a single flash in many miles of driving home...about 13 miles.

I can see much much better now, but I still fear they are now too high. I'll see how it goes for a few days and decide what to do if anything. I know if I take it back to the dealer and ask them to lower them a touch they will be back where they were, if not lower.
Old 04-08-08, 09:52 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kewl
For what is it worth, not much I know, I took my 350 in for service and ask them to check headlight adjustment...I told them I felt they were too low.

The Tech agreed and adjusted them to 'Lexus' specs. At least that's what the paperwork says.

The lights are now anything but low. I had feared that I would get flashed often on the way home, but not a single flash in many miles of driving home...about 13 miles.

I can see much much better now, but I still fear they are now too high. I'll see how it goes for a few days and decide what to do if anything. I know if I take it back to the dealer and ask them to lower them a touch they will be back where they were, if not lower.
haha...lexus specs....adjusting headligts are simple... you just need level ground. i used the parking structure at my school.... pull your car up to the wall as close as you can. notice the brightest spots on the wall and mark them off, tape or marker, etc. back up a good 25ft (making sure you can still see the bright cutoff points of your headlights. pop the hood and pull out your philips scewdriver and adjust away. goal is to match the bright spot that you marked.

for the halogen headlights on the ES, there is only up and down adjustment (regardless of what others say) i have broke my headlamps and replaced it. and i visually saw the housing. no lateral adjustment at all.
Old 04-08-08, 11:01 PM
unknown2
Driver

Here is how to Adjust your headlights:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318952