ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My tranny just flared big time!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 08:53 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My tranny just flared big time!!

This happened two hours ago. My transmission has been perfect to date even though I have a 5/06 build. I have 14,974 miles on my car and have followed all of our problem threads with bated breath.

Well, tonight my wife and I were going out. The engine was warm and the outside temp was 79 degrees. I was accelerating moderately from about 20 to 40 when my engine and tach rev over 3,000 rpm to 5,500!! My mind immediately flashes to all those tranny posts and I just knew that I'd finally joined the ranks of the disillusioned-with-Lexus crowd.

Then my wife said, "Oops." and I noticed that she had accidentally knocked the shifter into neutral.

I'm sure my life has been shortened by some measurable amount by this incident because of that instant flash of stress, disappointment, fear, and discouragement that ran through me. ES350 owners, don't let this happen to you! Make your significant other ride in the back.
Old 04-04-07, 11:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so now you know how dangerous it is for those ES350 owners who actually have this problem..... eh?
Old 04-05-07, 04:02 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kids and pets in the back seats too...LOL

Well, that is one way to simulate a flare/slip, only your 10 to 20 seconds of anxiety will subside as opposed to months of it happening without the wife as the cause....
Old 04-05-07, 06:00 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dreyfus, sorry to hear about your flare. Obviously, this tranny will never be fixed. It will happen to you either early or later during your ownership of the car. It is intolerable that this is happening. Over the weekend, I had a flare while my wife and our 11th month daughter were in the backseat. I will NOT let Lexus JEOPARDIZE my life and my family's anymore. I will be pushing Lexus to buy the vehicle back.
Old 04-05-07, 06:06 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreyfus
This happened two hours ago. My transmission has been perfect to date even though I have a 5/06 build. I have 14,974 miles on my car and have followed all of our problem threads with bated breath.

Well, tonight my wife and I were going out. The engine was warm and the outside temp was 79 degrees. I was accelerating moderately from about 20 to 40 when my engine and tach rev over 3,000 rpm to 5,500!! My mind immediately flashes to all those tranny posts and I just knew that I'd finally joined the ranks of the disillusioned-with-Lexus crowd.

Then my wife said, "Oops." and I noticed that she had accidentally knocked the shifter into neutral.

I'm sure my life has been shortened by some measurable amount by this incident because of that instant flash of stress, disappointment, fear, and discouragement that ran through me. ES350 owners, don't let this happen to you! Make your significant other ride in the back.
YOU SCARED ME!! Glad to hear it was your wife and not the car.
Old 04-05-07, 07:13 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
YOU SCARED ME!! Glad to hear it was your wife and not the car.
Me too! Although I can sell the car, I can't sell the wife...
Old 04-05-07, 07:21 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Me too! Although I can sell the car, I can't sell the wife...
LOL....can't tell if it's because she is your wife and want to keep her or are you concerned there would be no buyers lining up

Best not to let her read the above, or best to have your answer at the ready if she does.
Old 04-05-07, 10:27 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ESDragon
dreyfus, sorry to hear about your flare. Obviously, this tranny will never be fixed. It will happen to you either early or later during your ownership of the car. It is intolerable that this is happening. Over the weekend, I had a flare while my wife and our 11th month daughter were in the backseat. I will NOT let Lexus JEOPARDIZE my life and my family's anymore. I will be pushing Lexus to buy the vehicle back.
I think you misunderstood his semi-humorous post, flare was due to his wife hitting a shifter into a neutral. But that is exactly how it feels when flare happens and for that second you feel like you are not in control (in neutral) of your car. BTW, being a father of 2-year old (well, she was 18-month than), that is exactly an argument I used with my buyback, except I was on my 2nd flared tranny at that time...

Those shifters and women, I'm telling you I remember a story my friend told me back in college days about a "mistaken shifter identity *ride* while parked in a dark alley", but this is a PG rated forum, so just use your wild imagination
Old 04-05-07, 10:31 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I'm going to join the flare crowd too. My car has been perfect until just a week ago when it started flaring like mad - every single morning. Sometimes the flare could be as much as 1000 RPM. My car is a 10/06 build, purchased in November.

I've brought the car in to the dealership, left it overnight last night but this morning I couldn't replicate the flare to the tech. I did take some videos with my digital camera prior and has left it with the tech. Hopefully that will be of some use to them.

They're keeping my car to look further into it, and they're trying it again tomorrow morning. I'm glad they didn't just turn me down, tell me its "learning" and to go home after I couldn't replicate it - looks like they do honestly care about the flare problem and are doing as much as they can to help.

In the mean time, I'm in a RX400h loaner - loaded with ML and the works... a pretty nice car.
Old 04-05-07, 10:39 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Those shifters and women, I'm telling you I remember a story my friend told me back in college days about a "mistaken shifter identity *ride* while parked in a dark alley", but this is a PG rated forum, so just use your wild imagination
That would be double-clutch, not a flare!

oh, sorry, drifted off topic for a moment.
Old 04-05-07, 11:31 AM
ESDragon
Driver

I think you misunderstood his semi-humorous post, flare was due to his wife hitting a shifter into a neutral. But that is exactly how it feels when flare happens and for that second you feel like you are not in control (in neutral) of your car. BTW, being a father of 2-year old (well, she was 18-month than), that is exactly an argument I used with my buyback, except I was on my 2nd flared tranny at that time...

Oops.. i read his post again and just realize it was his wife.... haha!! Well, glad his car still drives as advertised.
Old 04-05-07, 12:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts