ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Two Words - Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 12:14 AM
ccl27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Words - Remote Starter

Has anyone had any luck getting a remote starter installed without the additional FOB for their ES 350?

My dealer is charging $1000 for the regular remote starter...the extra comes with replacing the key FOBs.

Thanks,
Old 03-29-07, 05:36 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This subject gets the hair on my neck standing up. In previous posts, nothing got me going than to have to go outside this past winter and start up the $44,000 Ultra in the snow and cold (no garage) while I could start up our 2007 Impala SS and 2007 Grand Cherokee with STANDARD remote starters. The Impala will even cool the interior in the summer without adjustment. And the add on for satellite radio - another bad subject....
Old 03-29-07, 10:43 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As of today, there is NO option available to have one key FOB. You will need a separate FOB for a remote start. And when you do "remote start", you will have to use that little FOB to open your door. Its not a bad deal when you want to warm up your car outside

Regarding $1k price tag on it, don't even think about it. I have top of the line Viper remote start which cost about $200, and labor should be no more than $400. Your dealership is not authorized to do remote start install. They will send it out to a sub-contract shop. That is exactly what my dealership did. Their subcontract shop did the installation (along with Sirius), and I got a loaner for a day and a full warranty through dealership. Don't pay more than $600 which what I have seen offered from other dealerships on East/West Coast as well.
Old 03-29-07, 04:41 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And if there is a problem with the install by a subcontractor - you will get the runaround in repairing. Best to go directly to the installer used by the dealer and save the dealership add on $ for a nice weekend at Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. You might even win!
Old 03-29-07, 05:01 PM
RobF350
Driver

you should have had the dealer do it before you got the car at no extra cost.

Ill take the spare fob, only need it in the winter, no real need to start the car in the summer but if you do just carry that small extra remote along with you.

That remote start is the best, maybe if lexus gets in trouble a little more they will start with gimics to sell thier cars like putting auto start as a standard option.
Old 03-29-07, 08:43 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Push-button remote start is heavily involved with rewiring of your system. Only a few top install shop will even do that. They have to install a relay and rewire your brake to simulate "pushing of brake pedal" when you start the car. Going outside of dealership with remote-start install will definitely void your warranty, and I would not recommend that to anybody. And, yes, if you are going to pay to your dealership $1k for remote install - they are taking advantage of you. When you buying a new car, nobody going to give you remote start for free (unless they are over charging you with car price ). You just have to make sure not to overpay!!!
Old 04-02-07, 11:00 AM
RobF350
Driver

trust me I got it for free, and beat them up on the car.

Free remote start, free chrome wheels- all after negotiating the price down.

After 7 calls from the dealer I felt I had the advantage.
You just need a hungry salesman and dealership- those with the attitude that
the car sells themselves can shove the car where the sun dont shine because there is too much competition out there.
Old 04-02-07, 11:42 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
As of today, there is NO option available to have one key FOB. You will need a separate FOB for a remote start. And when you do "remote start", you will have to use that little FOB to open your door. Its not a bad deal when you want to warm up your car outside

Regarding $1k price tag on it, don't even think about it. I have top of the line Viper remote start which cost about $200, and labor should be no more than $400. Your dealership is not authorized to do remote start install. They will send it out to a sub-contract shop. That is exactly what my dealership did. Their subcontract shop did the installation (along with Sirius), and I got a loaner for a day and a full warranty through dealership. Don't pay more than $600 which what I have seen offered from other dealerships on East/West Coast as well.
Lexus makes a remote start that actually replaces the keyfob. It's all integrated into one unit and it costs about $1000 but it's not available in the US. This might be the unit he is referring to. The wiring is already in the car and it looks like they just add a plug in module and an antenna.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=remote+start
Old 04-02-07, 08:06 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, Robert, you are correct. But nobody in US was able to install this sucker, Carson Lex tried but were unsuccessful. Also, this combined remote is much bigger and I'm not sure how comfy it will fit in the pocket, not to mention that you need to extend the antenna out. Looks like those old cordless/cell phones My external remote start fob is about 1/3 of the main fob and thinner, and it feels like a keychain rather than fob. But really, its not even a choice since you can't get this factory remote start anyway...