ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Enabling the NAV system features when driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 04:29 PM
OstrichSak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azteca22
I have made hybrid dvd map disk with latest 9.1 map and 5.1 LOADING.KWI file and works without any problems. I didn't had to pull the cable nor the fuse. Just replaced existine 5.1 with the hybrid map disk and works fine with newest map of 9.1 and still capable of overide function.

Cheers

John
I would be curious how it behaves if power is disconnected for some reason. You should pull a fuse and report back if it loads properly and still has full v9.1 updates while maintaining the override functionality.
Old 01-08-10, 09:00 AM
theredkid
Driver School Candidate

Just want to share if you are trying to make a hybrid DVD (5.1 loading +9.1 data) with override option on ES350. It works as a charm in my 2007 ES.

The hardest part is the DVD burning. It took me 2 nights after-work and 4 coaster burns to finally get to the correct media and burning settings. Here is what I used:

Media: verbatim 2.4X DVD+R DL 8.5GB (media code: MKM001)
Software: DVD Decripter or Imgburn (Both should work)
ISO building: Compile all the necessary files on hard drive and build the iso with files system setting UDF 1.02+ISO9660+Joliet
Burning: booktype setting to DVD-ROM before burning (make sure you set this right, I ended up with 4 coasters because of this. Default setting with DVD+R DL does not work as in-car dvd reader does not recognize them, despite these coasters read fine in my computer)

The rest of procedures on installing etc are just the same as original post.

Last but not least, when you put in the hybrid DVD first time after resetting, it may stop in the middle during loading system files with the dreadful E/Japanese note. Leave it alone and DO NOTHING. The system will automatically restart after 30 seconds or so and reload the files the second time. In my case, it went through on the second time and every feature works just like before with 5.1 version.

Hopefully this would save you sometime.

Last edited by theredkid; 01-08-10 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 11:38 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

theredkid,

Good job. Thanks for your post. Maybe I'll buy Ver 9.1 and update my NAV system using the Ver 5.1 loading file. I appreciated your post.

Just so I buy the correct Ver 9.1 disk can you please tell me its color and the U number that is on your Ver 9.1 disk. For exmple the old ver 5.1 disk is black and has a U30 D on it.

Thanks and best regards,
JerFitz

Last edited by jerfitz; 01-31-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 12:08 PM
OstrichSak
Driver School Candidate

theredkid: Check your private messages. I sent a PM a while back and haven't heard back.
Old 03-29-10, 12:43 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

RE burning a Hybrid 5.1/9.1 for your ES350 2007-2009 I found this post on another forum. See photo BUT first here are some notes about the post.

Where it says PIO he corrected it to POI (Points of Interest).

He already had a Hybrid disk 5.1/8.1 in his Lexus so the step "turned off ignition, turn back on and map data was available" was all he had to do to reset the maps; otherwise, he would have had to go through the power down sequence of battery disconnect for 5 minutes or pulling the NAV fuse to reset the maps.

UltraISO is a $30 disk burning software package. It appears he used it because his Ver 9.1 disk was an ISO format. You can Google UltraISO.

That's it folks!
Attached Thumbnails Enabling the NAV system features when driving-hybrid-5.1-9.1-dvd.jpg  
Old 04-01-10, 12:26 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

I finally broke down and bought the latest Ver 9.1 Gen5 NAV disk from my local Lexus dealer (black color U 34 D). I was successful in developing a Hybrid NAV disk with the Ver 5.1 loading file and the Ver 9.1 data files. It is working great. I love it. BTW, I have a 2007 ES350 and I had a Ver 5.1/6.1 Hybrid disk in it already.

I followed the burning instructions from my old post and I used Roxio 2010 software.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2503969-post5.html

Now after burning both a 5.1/6.1 three years ago and a 5.1/9.1 currently I believe that the reason we all have been burning some BAD unusable disks is primarily because of our DVD burners. To make my point I have two different burners on my Laptop (one internal and one external) and my wife has one internal burner).

Using Roxio 2010 and it's BURN DATA DISK and the same options as in the above mentioned post neither burner on my laptop could burn a usable disk but on the first try the burner on my wife's laptop burned a good usable NAV DVD disk. Actually if I read my old notes, from 3 years ago, more carefully it would have been obvious to me that I should have used her burner to start with.

My point is if your burner won't do it take your blank disks, the 5.1/9.1 files/folders, burning software (whatever it is), and try using another burner. If luck is with you maybe a friend has an external one you can borrow.
Attached Thumbnails Enabling the NAV system features when driving-nav-dvd-gen-5-ver-9.1-u34-d.jpg  

Last edited by jerfitz; 04-01-10 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 10:58 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Here is some more info for anyone who is interested.

We use Windows XP with SP3. Here are some answers regarding our three CD/DVD burners. First I went to: Control Panel>System>Hardware (tab)>Device Manager, and then I chose DVD-ROM Drives to see which drive was in each of our laptops.

The following two burners were NOT able to burn a NAV DVD disk.
Memorex DVD + - RAM 510L v1 USB Device (this is an external USB drive)
Ma****a DVD-RAM UJ-850S

The following burner was able to successfully burn a NAV DVD disk on the first try.
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K 14RA

Both of the following brands of our double layer disks worked perfectly.
Phillips double layer DVD+R 8.5 GB 8x
Memorex double layer DVD+R DL 8.5 GB 2.4X

PS, I added this so you know the actual name of the burner listed above as Ma****a. The four letters missing are a naughty word as in defacation. This is amazing in that the forum's automatic "naughty word removal" software made the change automatically. Cute and I don't mind it at all!
Old 05-04-10, 10:58 AM
dluxarun
Driver School Candidate

Confirmed that I burned a hybrid 5.1/9.1 Nav disc using Verbatim Double Layer DVD using my HP Laptop DL burner. At first when I inserted it, the player didnt recognise it. Then I inserted the original DVD, let it read, eject it and reinserted hybrid dvd and it worked !!!

However I couldn't find the NAV fuse? Could someone tell me where it can be found.
Old 06-06-10, 04:13 PM
lando622
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the great tips and info on making a hybrid v9.1 disk. Your advice worked like a champ for me.

The only thing I''ll add is to be ready to normalize power windows, moonroof, power liftgate and potentially the TPMS after disconnecting the negative battery cable to "zero-out" the nav system prior to inserting the hybrid disk.
Old 06-25-10, 02:20 PM
safford197
Driver

I was able to burn a copy using my 27" imac but not in my PC which has an Asus SATA DVD burner. I used Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x disks that I purchased about four years ago.
Old 06-25-10, 02:30 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't someone just make me a copy of this and I will buy it from them?
Old 07-08-10, 07:14 PM
Txwingz
Driver School Candidate

Where is the disc located in the 2010 350, and will the processes listed above work on the 2010 model?
Old 07-20-10, 09:33 PM
jagbagri
Driver School Candidate

2010 has a Hard Disk Drive. No more DVD.
Will have to come-up with a new way.......
Old 10-20-10, 08:09 PM
badedo
Driver School Candidate

Default How to burn the NAV DVD for Lexus 2007 ES350

I got the files for Navigation Gen5 ver 9.1, but I can't burn it today. It always popped out with the error that has failed to burn. I tried to redo what I did yesterday.

I did burn it with Nero Express as data yesterday, today, I went to my friend's house whose tried to help me with the NAV that I burn, he took the original DVD (U31 D) and put the one I burn in. Now I can see the map when I drive the car, but when I push the button dest for address, I can't do it..... then the voice can't activate either....

I selftaught on the computer so I am not that good so please, any one, show me what I should do now. I did copy the the Loading.KWI version 5 (I think) that I got from one of you guys in the forum to the desktop. I tried to burn the files that I got from the internet, and add the Loading.KWI files from the desktop in, but twice, it bumped me out with error failed to burn. I used the Memorex DVD+R DL. My DVD burner is Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1606S. My PC is HP Pavilion a1512x . I appreciate very much for any idea that can make it work for me. Thanks.
Old 01-05-11, 06:40 PM
leslang4d
Driver School Candidate

I too have a 2007 ES350 and need to swap out the old Nav disk for the latest version. Please confirm/give additional detail about the location of the Nav disk, how to get access to it, and replace it. That plastic strip with "Lexus" at the bottom of the nav screen seems pretty secure....any tips on how to get that off without breaking it???? By the way, the service dept at a local Lexus dealership said that the disk is located behind the radio, it takes a "special tool" to get it out and it's very complicated! That is why they charge $100 to swap it out.....that's the way to get more business!

Thanks for any help/replies!

Quick Reply: Enabling the NAV system features when driving