ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Enabling the NAV system features when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 06:14 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only think of couple things that might cause this...

It wasn't disconnected long enough (my NAV was disconnected for about an hour while I did the other mod that required changing the wiring)

Or there is a defect or something on the DVD.

I've noticed only minor differences after loading the hybrid DVD, for example when in split screen mode and you touch the right screen, the displayed button and info are slightly different. It doesn't seem any slower.
Old 05-16-07, 06:36 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Default For those successful with the Nav-override DVD, one quick question

Originally Posted by static
I can only think of couple things that might cause this...

It wasn't disconnected long enough (my NAV was disconnected for about an hour while I did the other mod that required changing the wiring)

Or there is a defect or something on the DVD.
Thanks for your thoughts. I drove the car today with my homemade DVD. I found the override worked perfectly -- could enter addresses on the fly. However, the same sluggish touch-screen behavior persisted. I popped the original DVD back in (without disconnecting the battery), got the "loading files..." screen and all is working (except, of course the override). Going to try reburning on a different brand DVD.

One final question for those who have been successful.
It would appear based on my experience with the "navigation override" that this does not affect the disappearing Mp3 CD (or iPod if you have the hookup) track information (i.e. the Title/Artist/Album/Genre info blacks out while in motion). Was soooo hoping the Nav override would spill into this annoying, unnecessary "safety" feature...
Old 05-16-07, 07:05 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by Argelius

One final question for those who have been successful.
It would appear based on my experience with the "navigation override" that this does not affect the disappearing Mp3 CD (or iPod if you have the hookup) track information (i.e. the Title/Artist/Album/Genre info blacks out while in motion). Was soooo hoping the Nav override would spill into this annoying, unnecessary "safety" feature...
That's correct, the hybrid dvd doesn't unlock the phone, address book, music, etc. For that there is another mod required, check the sticky posts on this forum for 'how to' info. I've done it, it requires some work and patience, but definately a doable project and worth the effort.
Old 05-16-07, 07:06 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Smile

It's been a while now but as I remember it, I removed the original DVD (no DVD in the NAV disk reader) and then removed the negatve battery cable for a full 7-8 minutes. I then reconnected the battery cable. Next I put the car IGN ON but the engine not running. Finally I inserted the hybrid DVD and it took 30 to 90 seconds before the DVD reader recognized the new DVD and loaded the Ver 5.1 loading file.

JerryF
Old 05-16-07, 07:29 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by static
That's correct, the hybrid dvd doesn't unlock the phone, address book, music, etc. For that there is another mod required, check the sticky posts on this forum for 'how to' info. I've done it, it requires some work and patience, but definately a doable project and worth the effort.
Thanks. Would this be the "wire cutting" procedure for watching DVD movies?
(Don't really care about that part, but would love my phone and audio info available...). Need to confirm people have been successful with the 2007 GSh before I start cutting wires...
Old 05-16-07, 12:58 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rx Lexus Ultimate Lockpick 3

For my Grandson, I have ordered the RX LEXUS ULTIMATE LOCKPICK 3.

If it works on my ES 350, then I will get another for him for his RX 350.

I'll let you guys know.

http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

~ Cap
Old 05-16-07, 01:37 PM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by Argelius
Thanks. Would this be the "wire cutting" procedure for watching DVD movies?
(Don't really care about that part, but would love my phone and audio info available...). Need to confirm people have been successful with the 2007 GSh before I start cutting wires...
Yes, cutting wires or pulling the pins out of the connectors and re-inserting.
Old 05-16-07, 04:07 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Default Making the hybrid 5.1/6/1 DVD Nav disc: anyone encounter this problem?

I've successfully made a couple of the hybrid 5.1/6.1 DVD Navigation discs, up to a point.

The discs load (after battery disconnect) fine and I do have access to the Nav Bypass in the service menu.

But, when I hit the map or dest hard buttons or enter commands with the touch screen, there is a big delay between pushing the button and when the action happens -- to the point of making it essentially unusable.

It would seem my burning process is okay, since the discs are recognized and load okay.

Thus far I've tried Memorex and Verbatim discs.

Has anyone who went through trial and errors encountered this issue?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-07, 07:39 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Argelius,

This idea is way out there but try it anyhow. You know, no pain no gain!

First drive your car for 20 to 25 miles to get the engine computer OR anything else re-established that was erased (zeroed out) by removing the battery cable.

Then, find the fuse that removes all power from only the NAV system and remove it for a few minutes while leaving the battery cable attached.

Reinstall the fuse and reload your 5.1/6.1 hybrid disk.

As I said this may be "way out there" but it's all I can think of for now.

Double check that your new hybrid disk does NOT have BOTH the 5.1 and the 6.1 loading files on it. Also check that ALL the files are on the new hybrid disk. Early on I goofed and one of the early copies I made was mising one file.

One other point, my mentor SonarTech gave me all the info I needed to burn the hybrid disk and, as my explanation states, I used Sonic System's Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 to burn the hybrid DVD.

On the other hand, SonarTech used a French software package called "Prassi ONES". To see his description on using Prassi ONES to burn a hybrid DVD disk go to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...42447#poststop

Maybe you need to try a different burning software package. Just google "Prassi ones".

JerFitz

Last edited by jerfitz; 05-17-07 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 07:51 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Argelius,

This idea is way out there but try it anyhow. You know, no pain no gain!

Maybe you need to try a different burning software package. Just google "Prassi ones".
JerFitz
Hey -- thanks tons for your thoughtful, detailed suggestions. I burned my discs on a Mac (using Roxio Toast); will try to burn a disc on a Windows computer before trying your 'way-out' suggestion...

Final quick question: if I bought a 5.1 disc on eBay and just used that, would there be any significant loss of functionality with that? (Really wanting to do the DVD-wirecutting-hack, but understand that only works with the 5.1 loading file, I think...)
Old 05-17-07, 08:07 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Re check my previous message as I did change the web address on the last line.

It will work if the eBay ver 5.1 disk is black and it says "U 30 D" on it but the wire cutting hack works perfectly with the 5.1/6.1 hybrid disk in my 2007 ES350.

BTW, the wire cutting hack is VERY EASY to do because of SonarTech's detailed instructions.

Copy the post and all the photos/diagrams in SonarTech's STICKY post "HOW TO: calendar, music, etc" in this ES350 forum. You will be impresed.

JerryF
Old 05-17-07, 08:26 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Re check my previous message as I did change the web address on the last line.

It will work if the eBay ver 5.1 disk is black and it says "U 30 D" on it but the wire cutting hack works perfectly with the 5.1/6.1 hybrid disk in my 2007 ES350.

JerryF
Cool. I only ask about the ebay disc as a backup if I cant create a fully readable hybrid. Love hacking into my $50K+ auto!
Old 05-20-07, 08:03 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

SUCCESS, Finally!

Tried burning the .iso disc image with Roxio instead of Nero (or Toast on my Mac) and voila! Perfection. Works great now.

Now to get the nerve to do the hack that I REALLY want -- ability to access the phone keypad and mp3 track information (and secondarily see DVD movies, although I'm really not that interested in that...)
Old 05-20-07, 05:01 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Good job, I'm glad it worked for you. The hack for enabling access to the Music Folders, Phone Dialing, Calendar and Maintenance Menus while Driving the Lexus ES-350...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276775

will NOT enable viewing DVD movies while driving.

For that you need to ground a wire connected to the parking brake. I didn't do that hack because, for me, it would be to dangerous.

Look over in the GS 3rd generation forum and you'll find stuff on that hack but do think it over carefully.

JerFitz
Old 05-21-07, 03:31 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Look over in the GS 3rd generation forum and you'll find stuff on that hack but do think it over carefully.

JerFitz
Thanks. I didn't realize they are "separate" hacks. Which is fine with me, since I'm not really interested in watching movies; I just want my phone pad and mp3 track info!

Quick Reply: Enabling the NAV system features when driving