ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Scary thoughts in my head

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 02:46 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary thoughts in my head

Took my wife and my baby girl to the Toyota dealership to pick up the family SUV Highlander after some minor servicing. The plan was that my wife would drive the SUV home. For some reason she wanted to drive my ES350 home. Now she has never driven in this car, and has never paid attention when I drove it. First thing she asked was, where do i insert the key to start ignition? I really didn't want her driving an unfamiliar car with the baby in the back seat. She insisted she wanted to drive home... I was not in the mood to fightl.... so I briefed her on the basics.... "just drive it like a camry, and dont touch the console!!" As she was driving off, I was thinking, "wait....did i forget to show her how to unlock the parking brake?" then i remembered I didnt lock it when she took over. whew... then I thought, "wait... if i didnt lock the parking brake, and didnt mention to her, would she step on it again thinking it would unlock but in reality that locks the brake?" No....she wouldn't do that....that would be utterly stupid... i mean if your parking brake were on, you can't drive the car for more than a few feet before feeling the resistance right? But then I remembered the time she had a parking ticket on her windshield for 48 hours and didn't notice it after driving to work and back on 2 separate days. Damn.... my baby was in the car too...what if she got confused by some switches in the car, and got into an accident? I was getting really antsy as I waited for my SUV. I signed the receipt and dashed home. My car was still in one piece...my baby is napping on her bed. Whew...I guess it was all in my head.
Old 03-10-07, 03:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Took my wife and my baby girl to the Toyota dealership to pick up the family SUV Highlander after some minor servicing. The plan was that my wife would drive the SUV home. For some reason she wanted to drive my ES350 home. Now she has never driven in this car, and has never paid attention when I drove it. First thing she asked was, where do i insert the key to start ignition? I really didn't want her driving an unfamiliar car with the baby in the back seat. She insisted she wanted to drive home... I was not in the mood to fightl.... so I briefed her on the basics.... "just drive it like a camry, and dont touch the console!!" As she was driving off, I was thinking, "wait....did i forget to show her how to unlock the parking brake?" then i remembered I didnt lock it when she took over. whew... then I thought, "wait... if i didnt lock the parking brake, and didnt mention to her, would she step on it again thinking it would unlock but in reality that locks the brake?" No....she wouldn't do that....that would be utterly stupid... i mean if your parking brake were on, you can't drive the car for more than a few feet before feeling the resistance right? But then I remembered the time she had a parking ticket on her windshield for 48 hours and didn't notice it after driving to work and back on 2 separate days. Damn.... my baby was in the car too...what if she got confused by some switches in the car, and got into an accident? I was getting really antsy as I waited for my SUV. I signed the receipt and dashed home. My car was still in one piece...my baby is napping on her bed. Whew...I guess it was all in my head.
I thought you were going to say she noticed a tranny flare! Better give your wife your own version of the pre-delivery run down. After driving it, she's probably gonna wanna drive it some more!

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-10-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-10-07, 07:35 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaius88
If you drive off with the emergency brake on, the car will ring and the display will light up telling you the brake is on.