ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus Removes Trans TSIB and Calls Trans Slipping a Normal Characteristic

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 09:51 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thank you for posting this info considering you did not need to think of others since you are already in buyback processs.

For everybody else please consider my experiences this morning.

Could NOT get a straight (total) answer on this at all and here are the two versions.

1st____NO, NONE, NADA replacements unless the transmission completely fails and I mean dead in the water, you are not moving, otherwise perhaps a this or that, blah, blah including reflash mentioned...who knew there was even a reflash available for anything to do with this transmission....WHERE has that TSIB been hiding I wonder or is there even such a thing for this car.

2nd___"some conversation has been had on normalcy," a pause, then offered but every car is different we need to evaluate yours but no assurance I'd get a trans replaced.

With Both -------OBVIOUS avoidance and/or reluctance to discussing this issue. And I OWN one of these for goodness sake, but still all over the map.

Try getting a straight answer yourself from your own dealer, maybe you can do better than I did but my conclusion from what I just experienced is THERE IS SOMETHING to what 2007 posted, maybe not rigid etched in stone, but there IS something to his info he provided to us.

When my car goes in, it will be with 2nd one above, at least eventually some direct dialogue could be had though even that was somewhat roundabout and the slightest glimpse of hope something MIGHT be done though not like past when you could easily discuss this issue with dealer, something HAS changed and for the WORSE for those with this issue judging by my experiences.
Old 02-23-07, 10:49 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Like djr, I want my car to operate normally too. I'm going to go back to the dealer and demand that they install the flare which was somehow left out at the factory!
Thank you dreyfus and djr,

That is so funny. I can just see it, you both take the car to dealer service because you did not get everything you paid for and they either add the flare or you get some serious cash refund, say 1,000 dollars, for it being left out of your car....LOL....
Old 02-23-07, 05:36 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
What will happen after that? I guess that is what this thread is about as apparently some information is 'out' already. That information may not be correct, but then again it may very well be 100% accurate. We will certainly see in the coming weeks!
2007 was thoughtful enough to have given me the context within which he learned this info.

He was made aware of this policy change in viewing this as a normal characteristic because he was given a decision to make on replacing his with another ES or to take other consideration.

His dealer was considerate enough to give him this info to consider as part of his decision on what to do because if a replacement car developed this there would be NO replacement transmission, hence NO buyback either if the replacement proved to have this issue, because the new policy will be to claim this is a normal characteristic of this model.
Old 02-23-07, 07:49 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I heard from a Lexus Service Rep. that the transmission slipping/flaring between shifts is considered a "normal" characteristic of our cars. What used to be considered a defect by Lexus is now conveniently called a "normal" feature of our cars.

You will remember that we had a TSIB with the valve body replacement that was supposed to solve the problem. A followup TSIB required a transaxle (transmission) replacement. Now, they have removed the transmission replacement TSIB....well of course why would they have a TSIB for a "normal" characteristic.

These actions by Lexus are dishonest. Lexus really has no clue how to solve the problem. Instead of admitting this and making things right for owners with the slipping transmissions, they are calling this a "normal" characteristic to prevent further buy-backs and to prevent the Lemon Law from being invoked.

I suggested that since the transmission slipping is considered a "nornal" characteristic, Lexus should warn all potential es350 buyers of this "normal" characteristic.

I also feel sorry for the sucker that will be purchasing my car with a replacement transmisssion that still slips!

Any comments from other es350 owners on trying to get your defective transmission replaced with the new Lexus policy?
Today I went to the dealer to get my 5000 mile oil change. I have the tx slipping problem. It isn't bad and does not happen every time. I wrote up a detailed description of the problem and even offered to show him a video. He said “ I have not heard about this problem on the ES350, only some GS and one other Lexus model” I referred to several TSB's that Lexus had put out to try and solve this problem. I only wish I had made a copy to show him. He still denied any knowledge of them. I had informed him before I told him about the “FLAIR” that I did not want them to attempt any repair. Therefore I don't understand why the denial. Also, if body language is any indication, he was not being honest. He kind of looked down and didn't make much eye contact.

Flash back to several weeks earlier. I went in to the dealer to check out the service department and see who they recommended to install tint. I met with this same service manager and brought up the tx flair problem. He said, “ We have replaced several TX and just say the word and we will replace the whole trans axle.” We had a lengthy conversation about the problem and all of the TSB's that Lexus had issued. . He obviously had forgotten my previous visit and our conversation.

These people would be a whole lot better off if they would just tell the truth. They loose all creditability when they lie.
Old 02-23-07, 08:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by autiger71

Today I went to the dealer to get my 5000 mile oil change. I have the tx slipping problem. It isn't bad and does not happen every time. I wrote up a detailed description of the problem and even offered to show him a video. He said “ I have not heard about this problem on the ES350, only some GS and one other Lexus model” I referred to several TSB's that Lexus had put out to try and solve this problem. I only wish I had made a copy to show him. He still denied any knowledge of them. I had informed him before I told him about the “FLAIR” that I did not want them to attempt any repair. Therefore I don't understand why the denial. Also, if body language is any indication, he was not being honest. He kind of looked down and didn't make much eye contact.

Flash back to several weeks earlier. I went in to the dealer to check out the service department and see who they recommended to install tint. I met with this same service manager and brought up the tx flair problem. He said, “ We have replaced several TX and just say the word and we will replace the whole trans axle.” We had a lengthy conversation about the problem and all of the TSB's that Lexus had issued. . He obviously had forgotten my previous visit and our conversation.

These people would be a whole lot better off if they would just tell the truth. They loose all creditability when they lie.
I assume you didn't call him on it? If that were me, I think I may have reminded him of the previous conversation. This is absolutely ridiculous. It sounds like the dealers have gotten word of something (although I'm not sure what).
Old 02-23-07, 10:56 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

hi

what i dont understand is how is it possible that there ar emore v6 camry owners that have better luck with the transmission replacement than the es350s? i dont understand. ideally it is the same transaxle right? TC200-07... right??

please someone explain this to me....
Old 02-24-07, 12:42 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reyrey127
hi

what i dont understand is how is it possible that there ar emore v6 camry owners that have better luck with the transmission replacement than the es350s? i dont understand. ideally it is the same transaxle right? TC200-07... right??

you sure?

or are they reporting on the new trans after driving only a measly 100 miles?
People tend to go "yeah, it works great now!" after only driving home from the shop.
Old 02-24-07, 04:16 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by autiger71

If it makes you feel any better I had similar experiences yesterday in asking a direct question on the transmission replacement TSIB. I kept having to rephrase the question and re-rephrase the question. Your experiences shared make me feel less put upon that I could not get a straight answer and it required such effort.

Also I cut the people I dealt with slack because I believe they are told to lie in order for them to continue to earn their paycheck. While it is technically their fault, they are intimidated into doing this as no doubt they have mortgages, car payments, kids to support, and if they did not lie they risk losing their source of income to support themselves and their family if they have one.

If you need a copy of the TSIB, go to Toyota Nation gen 5 6 Camry forum and at least there is a copy of the Camry one there under their TSIB thread that is exactly like the ES350 one and the ES TSIB number is on here in threads.
Old 02-24-07, 07:32 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reyrey127
hi

I was reading around last night and found on EDmonds talk of the new trans has a flare again that shows up at 2000 miles. With this one we have to wait and see.
Old 02-24-07, 08:18 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Lousy treatment by dealers (i.e. lying, denying, giving cars sunbaths rather than repairing them, etc.) is the reason I quit buying American cars. Now success has spoiled the Japanese car manufacturers. This thread reminds me of a tour I took at Plant 42 in Palmdale CA. When I asked the Lt. Col what was in a certain hanger he responded, "What Hanger? I don't see a hanger" I later found out that it housed the B17 Stealth fighter before it was released to the public.
Old 02-24-07, 08:19 AM
djr
Driver School Candidate

What are the chances that they are trying to stall off transmission/transaxle replacements until they can come up with a real fix. It seems that the previous "fixes" are not working, so rather than paying the dealers big $$ to do a repair that isn't solving anything, they are trying to cover it up until they can solve the mystery. The cover-up appears to be in cooperation with dealers since they are suddenly "forgetting" about the several TSBs that have existed on the issue.

As a side note, my car hasn't had the problem yet, but I am very concerned that at some point it may. I am also concerned about the future resale/trade in value of the car if this issue is not resolved.
Old 02-24-07, 10:04 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Listen I really feel with you guys about this problem and I truely feel it's not right how they are treating you. This is something Lexus is trying to put under the rug. They feel that enough cars where fixed and replaced and that there is really not enough customers out there to cause any concern. Before when they had so many customer complaining they had no choice to listen. But no because there are only a few and a few is still over 100. They feel it's time to forget about it. Trust me there are valets at the dealership that know about the ES problem. They where just told to lye and act like noting is wrong. If you really want this problem resolved you must take extreme measures to get there attention otherwise I feel bad to say you will be ignored. Remember 1 thing Lexus hates is bad press and also remember the ES is lexus and dealerships bread and butter car. If you get know where you can always put a sign on your car and go to your dealer on a Sat with a sign that reads all your problems you have had with the car and you will see how soon a GM will come out and replace that car. If not that they will contact a Lexus rep. If you wait any longer you will have no shot. So if your on the fence with this either do something or call it a day.

One more thing that really gets me is they knew about this before the car was released and firgured out it would be cheaper to release the car then to delay it again. They firgured the cost of the tranny where cheaper then the delay. There were even secret code names for it and higher ups only knew.

Last edited by purebliss; 02-24-07 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-24-07, 10:19 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question? If the crappy transmission and flare issues are normal....

Why did Lexus buy back so many cars?

I suspect we have not heard the end of this. Major lawsuit coming to a court near you.

The Lexus of today is not the Lexus from the 1990's. Not even close. As they become more GM'ified, it will get worse.
Old 02-24-07, 10:39 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djr
The cover-up appears to be in cooperation with dealers since they are suddenly "forgetting" about the several TSBs that have existed on the issue.
To all those with transmission problems and those who are concerned that sometime in the future their ES may suffer the same fate I suggest you make a hard copy of any TSBs before they are deleted from websites. This ensures proof that this problem exists.

If indeed Lexus has enlisted the cooperation of their dealers, who are not Lexus/Toyota employees, to "cover-up" poor engineering and manufacturing practices, that is unforgivable as it is not only an abdication of responsibility, it is morally and ethically wrong. No wonder service advisors are reluctant to make eye contact with their customers.

It is incomprehensible that a smart and responsible company like Lexus/Toyota could appear to stoop to such shoddy practices that they know will irrepairably damage their reputation, which will result in loss of sales and profitablility.

Where are the voices of the shareholders, media and consumer watchdogs on this issue? Why are they so silent?
Old 02-24-07, 10:53 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by purebliss
Listen I really feel with you guys about this problem and I truely feel it's not right how they are treating you. This is something Lexus is trying to put under the rug. They feel that enough cars where fixed and replaced and that there is really not enough customers out there to cause any concern. Before when they had so many customer complaining they had no choice to listen. But no because there are only a few and a few is still over 100. They feel it's time to forget about it. Trust me there are valets at the dealership that know about the ES problem. They where just told to lye and act like noting is wrong. If you really want this problem resolved you must take extreme measures to get there attention otherwise I feel bad to say you will be ignored. Remember 1 thing Lexus hates is bad press and also remember the ES is lexus and dealerships bread and butter car. If you get know where you can always put a sign on your car and go to your dealer on a Sat with a sign that reads all your problems you have had with the car and you will see how soon a GM will come out and replace that car. If not that they will contact a Lexus rep. If you wait any longer you will have no shot. So if your on the fence with this either do something or call it a day.

One more thing that really gets me is they knew about this before the car was released and firgured out it would be cheaper to release the car then to delay it again. They firgured the cost of the tranny where cheaper then the delay. There were even secret code names for it and higher ups only knew.
WOW.

Given the above, I think this thread is about to go nuclear.

I've now basically given up on Lexus with my ES. This cars a lemon, no doubt if you have problems. You've beaten me Lexus - your crappy transmission and multiple failed repair attempts win. Lexus choosing to release a problematic vehicle is their doing, not ours. We've bought the product and now it looks for all intensive purposes like they are potentially abandoning us. Someone explain to me how that is quality or customer service driven? Sounds more like take the money and run to me.

So I'm going to stay upbeat on this and get out of my ES. I'll take a bath and lose money on it. But I can't put up with the trans crap anymore. Atleast Lexus will still have made money from me, and that is apparently what its all about. It's not about having a great quality product, it's not about having great customer service, its about making the sale and making money.

Given that Lexus (to me) clearly will knowingly sell you a car with problems, then be unable to fix them, why would I choose to buy another Lexus? I feel at this point that if I purchased another Lexus it's like playing russian roulette and the gun they've given me is loaded.

Quick Reply: Lexus Removes Trans TSIB and Calls Trans Slipping a Normal Characteristic