ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Little-known behaviors

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 09:26 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Little-known behaviors

I'd like to hear from people who've found out normal features, quirks, or other behaviors in their cars that are either unexpected, undocumented or little-known.

I'll start with two.

If you are coasting in neutral the AFS headlights don't move. They function only in drive.

If I park the car and my wife leaves her fob in the car, I can't lock the doors using the black push button on the door handles. But I can lock the door with the push button on my fob.
Old 02-01-07, 09:37 AM
e-Mel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started the car the other day and went back in the house while the car warmed up (freezing outside). I could not lock the doors (even with the fob)while the ignition was on. Haven't had a chance to look in the manual to check on this.
Old 02-01-07, 09:47 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car doesn't start when the tank is empty.
Old 02-01-07, 10:53 AM
static
Driver

Similar to e-mel, i started the car, went back inside, came back with hands full and tried to open the back door (driver door only was unlocked). I could not unlock the back door from the outside. I had to open the driver door and hit the switch on the armrest.

I think this is simialr to a post on the IS forum where the driver door was also locked, no fobs were inside the car and none of the doors could be unlocked from the outside. They had to get in via the trunk.

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261812

Last edited by static; 02-01-07 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-01-07, 12:48 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

if you have your moon roof open and turn off the ignition, a beeping and visual warning tells you the moon roof is still open. I guess this prevents accidental parking in the rain with moon roof open.
Old 02-01-07, 12:49 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So far, Alan has the best little-known behavior; mine is I retained my 2002 ES300 and, therefore, do not have the problems noted in these ES350 complaints.
Old 02-01-07, 01:18 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the FOB in car cannot lock the door with door handle push button, posted on it in my safety security question thread. At least we can still lock it with key FOB itself because I hate the thought of a FOB with passenger and door unlocked in this day and age.

Odd thing with steering column too, when a front passenger exits my column sounds like it retracts or tries to extend again for just an instant.

Failure of keyless system: If I had not read the thread on GS forum about geographic area failure of keyless system I would have freaked out over the fact that once I parked my car NOTHING worked and I mean nothing. I did not panic though because I had read the thread on GS forum and how many Lexus were having this happen in Tampa area. I was shocked it happened to me because I was picking up parts for one of my projects between Tampa and Plant city not right in the city of Tampa as it seemed was the area where this is supposedly common. If this happens to you, all you need to do is place key fob at/against windshield right above steering wheel for a second and you can then lock the car pushing the black button on door. Unlock same fashion- then start the car inside with FOB about an inch away from push button until it glows green. This avoids you having to use the metal key to lock or unlock the car. If my means used do not work, don't panic just pop off the metal key cover at back of door handle and lock and unlock that way, starting is same as above as reported by others and in my own experience.
Old 02-01-07, 02:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
My car doesn't start when the tank is empty.
If you PM me. I can give you a step by step solution to your problem.
Old 02-01-07, 03:27 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

If you should go to a “you got to pay for it” car wash be aware to remove your metal key from the FOB. Here’s why. When I first bought the car I went to a local car wash in my area. I told the vacuum guy my FOB is in the car and did he know how to start the car, yes he knew all about it. Waiting for my car to emerge from the long line a whirling brushes, soap shooter, and high velocity air nose machines was taking for ever. Seem like there was nothing emitting from the dark tunnel were all the noises were coming from. I went to investigate. It was my car that had stopped the line, as I approached there were 3 high tech washer guy inside my car trying to start it of course none of them had a clue or were in agreement as to how this was to be done. I yelled out!! I got in and noticed my FOB was not in the cup holder. Ok which one of you guys have the FOB, the car will not start with out it! Nothing was working. One of them left and a moment later the owner arrived in business attire and pulled from his pocket my FOB. He said he was sorry, yeah right what are you doing with my FOB in your pocket. Well it’s a no brainier good thing I still had the paper plates and paid cash because I didn’t remove the metal key. The system worked but take that metal key with you at all times.
Old 02-01-07, 03:59 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

I have not looked this up in the manual but why can't the driver roll down the passenger or rear windows with the lock windows button engaged? I thought this button was supposed to limit everyone else's control over the windows, not the driver's ability??? My old car acted as I thought the lock out function would - complete driver control but no function to passengers. Am I missing something?
Old 02-01-07, 05:37 PM
RobF350
Driver

Originally Posted by static
Similar to e-mel, i started the car, went back inside, came back with hands full and tried to open the back door (driver door only was unlocked). I could not unlock the back door from the outside. I had to open the driver door and hit the switch on the armrest.

I think this is simialr to a post on the IS forum where the driver door was also locked, no fobs were inside the car and none of the doors could be unlocked from the outside. They had to get in via the trunk.

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261812

you may need your fobs programmed to be able to unlock all the doors when you approach or just the drivers door.
Its a security feature you can have set so if you were walking up to the car in a dark lot someone cant enter the car through one of the other doors.

also- why would you have to go in through the trunk? why not just pop the cover off the handle and use the key?
Old 02-01-07, 06:59 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ya guys,

You cannot do the fob "double lock" trick (lock the car and turn off the headlights) if the trunk is open. Good thing too!

Osokuko: Are you saying that the guy from the car wash was intending to take your car? Heaven forbid!

Peter
Old 02-01-07, 09:17 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by psp
Hi Ya guys,

You cannot do the fob "double lock" trick (lock the car and turn off the headlights) if the trunk is open. Good thing too!

Osokuko: Are you saying that the guy from the car wash was intending to take your car? Heaven forbid!

Peter
I'm sure not at the car wash, but I did read an article that the FOB rolling code can be compromised by a lap top computer if it’s with in range of the FOB. The metal key can have a quick mold made. This info is worth money. When I use to assist Anaheim PD with Armature Radio communication surveillance we were informed of a Toyota car ring working the area. These guys are good. So you have to be care full.
Old 02-02-07, 04:17 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by RobF350
you may need your fobs programmed to be able to unlock all the doors when you approach or just the drivers door.
Its a security feature you can have set so if you were walking up to the car in a dark lot someone cant enter the car through one of the other doors.

also- why would you have to go in through the trunk? why not just pop the cover off the handle and use the key?
I have mine setup to open only the drivers door if you approach from the drivers door and all doors if you approach from any other door and to lock all at 13mph, that's why only the driver door was unlocked. I think you should be able to unlock any door any time from outside if you have a fob with you.
Old 02-02-07, 03:24 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by osokuko
Well it’s a no brainier good thing I still had the paper plates and paid cash because I didn’t remove the metal key. The system worked but take that metal key with you at all times.

I have the habit of giving valets only my car keys, so it is a blessing that the FOB has an easily removable metal key. I hate removing keys via key ring cus it hurts my fingers. Do you think the people at the carwash make a copy of your house keys and plan to burglarize your home in the future? I saw this in an episode of an old show years ago, that what made me start removing my house keys before handing over to valet.

Quick Reply: Little-known behaviors