ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 10:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
The dreadful hesitation is a serious safety issue and it's a matter of time before someone sues them or an outfit like "60 Minutes" gets ahold of this.

And as for the moderator's concern that his beloved Lexus marque is being harshly criticized I would hasten to point out that we're taling about a car costing $44k here and not a Ford Fusion.

In a car costing this much I expect that I will get an instant response when I put my foot on the gas. M-B, BMW and Audi seem to be able to figure out how to give that to the driver.

Is it too much to ask the same of Lexus?
I will not presume to speak for Lexus as there may be a number of reasons why Lexus vehicles drive this way (with the hesitation). Maybe they have not figured it out like you say. Maybe it is intentional. Like I said above, I have felt this hesitation to different extents on different Lexus models. I hardly think it is a safety issue. I am OK with it, given everything else that Lexus does well.

Everyone's driving style and needs are different. For me, I am OK with this hesitation (that does not occur all the time). You and a few others apparently are not OK with it. Nothing wrong with that. You prefer the drive of the german cars. (BTW - I like it too.) Why not buy those cars? There must have been reasons to turn you away from the german cars towards Lexus. This means they do not do everything well either. Those cars are 40k+ also.

Lexus will do things the Lexus way. BMW will do things the BMW way. MB will do things the MB way. And so on. If you buy a Lexus, be prepared for all that is good and all that is bad. This is the same for the other cars. You chose the ES (I assume) because it comes closest to meeting all your criteria, otherwise you would have bought something else. I just do not think it is fair to then point out what a different car does better and expect the car of choice to be just as good or better. You have to take the good with the bad.

All this has nothing to do with Lexus. There is no worries on my part of a bias. If you chose a BMW and did not like one of its drawbacks and point to another make that does it better, you can change the brands around in the above statement and my point would still apply.

We get it. The hesitation is a pain. You don't like it. I am not saying I particularly like it either. But let's move on. Based on your needs (be it timing of purchase, style, gas mileage, funds, feature, value, ...), you chose the ES. It was the best fit at the time. Honestly, if at this time, after additional research, you find car X to be a better fit, I would sell the ES and get car X, even if it means taking a monetary hit. I would not keep a car that I dislike so much. It would take away my enjoyment and add stress to my life. Life is too short.
Old 01-31-07, 10:43 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I will not presume to speak for Lexus as there may be a number of reasons why Lexus vehicles drive this way (with the hesitation). Maybe they have not figured it out like you say. Maybe it is intentional. Like I said above, I have felt this hesitation to different extents on different Lexus models. I hardly think it is a safety issue. I am OK with it, given everything else that Lexus does well.

Everyone's driving style and needs are different. For me, I am OK with this hesitation (that does not occur all the time). You and a few others apparently are not OK with it. Nothing wrong with that. You prefer the drive of the german cars. (BTW - I like it too.) Why not buy those cars? There must have been reasons to turn you away from the german cars towards Lexus. This means they do not do everything well either. Those cars are 40k+ also.

Lexus will do things the Lexus way. BMW will do things the BMW way. MB will do things the MB way. And so on. If you buy a Lexus, be prepared for all that is good and all that is bad. This is the same for the other cars. You chose the ES (I assume) because it comes closest to meeting all your criteria, otherwise you would have bought something else. I just do not think it is fair to then point out what a different car does better and expect the car of choice to be just as good or better. You have to take the good with the bad.

All this has nothing to do with Lexus. There is no worries on my part of a bias. If you chose a BMW and did not like one of its drawbacks and point to another make that does it better, you can change the brands around in the above statement and my point would still apply.

We get it. The hesitation is a pain. You don't like it. I am not saying I particularly like it either. But let's move on. Based on your needs (be it timing of purchase, style, gas mileage, funds, feature, value, ...), you chose the ES. It was the best fit at the time. Honestly, if at this time, after additional research, you find car X to be a better fit, I would sell the ES and get car X, even if it means taking a monetary hit. I would not keep a car that I dislike so much. It would take away my enjoyment and add stress to my life. Life is too short.
My sentiments exactly!!
Old 02-01-07, 04:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

psych,

I think you should call your dealer service manager and ask that he formally bring this up to officials in Japan who are capable of directing others to adjust the software.

AMF, others, indicated how long this has been going on in ES models, at least since 2002 model year, others imply it is normal for Lexus cars; it seems the number one reason it is still present in even the ES350 is because instead of attempting to get it resolved by lobbying Lexus, it is instead suggested you rid yourself of the car.

Keeping the software defect in the car, directing or suggesting the owner is simply to sell the car if he or she dare object to the software defect makes no sense but it may explain why it has been present for years in the ES line software.
Old 02-01-07, 05:12 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
psych,

I think you should call your dealer service manager and ask that he formally bring this up to officials in Japan who are capable of directing others to adjust the software.

AMF, others, indicated how long this has been going on in ES models, at least since 2002 model year, others imply it is normal for Lexus cars; it seems the number one reason it is still present in even the ES350 is because instead of attempting to get it resolved by lobbying Lexus, it is instead suggested you rid yourself of the car.

Keeping the software defect in the car, directing or suggesting the owner is simply to sell the car if he or she dare object to the software defect makes no sense but it may explain why it has been present for years in the ES line software.
This is the way of the world. As an example: Software, used in a computer can also be buggy, and the only way to fix it is to get rid of it. I'm speaking of Windows ME(A very short lived OS). Even with the release of Windows Vista there are many problems with compatibility that have to be addressed to make it "play" with other programs........and there's no assurance it ever will. Do you get my drift?
Old 02-01-07, 05:16 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 909dude
The heart of my primary complaint is the dreadful customer service offered by the company.
Funny, the customer service is exactly why I bought my current RX. I'd had a paint blemish on my RX300. I called the dealer, and they said "probably a rock chip, but bring it by and we'll look at it." I did. The service manager came out, looked at it, bent down and poked it with his pen, looked at it some more, then said (and this is an exact quote) "I don't know how that could have happened. When can you bring it in so we can fix it?" I made an appointment that day. Before the appointment rolled around, I got called out of town. "Sure, just keep the loaner, bring it back when you get back."

I went right back to that dealer when I started looking at the RX350, and haven't been disappointed since.

When I bought my first Lexus in 1998, the dealers made sure your needs were met. Now, when I bring my car in for an oil change, it takes a day at the dealer, and the service department won't answer the phone when I called all morning to see if the car was ready.
Sounds like you need to change dealers.

Moreover, Lexus corporate totally ignored me when I asked for their help with my transmission. Four Lexus purchases later (and a total of 12 Toyota Motor Company purchases), I will never buy another one. The saddest part of the story is the company couldn't care less they lost a loyal customer.
You sound like me after I got royally screwed by Ford. After that lesson, I went to Toyota, and have never since bought anything else.
Old 02-01-07, 05:21 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
This is the way of the world. As an example: Software, used in a computer can also be buggy, and the only way to fix it is to get rid of it. I'm speaking of Windows ME(A very short lived OS). Even with the release of Windows Vista there are many problems with compatibility that have to be addressed to make it "play" with other programs........and there's no assurance it ever will. Do you get my drift?

Getting rid of the car for a software problem that annoys people, that some feel is a potential safety issue, is not the answer if that means the correctable item causing it will be left as is and go without correction. It seems that has been going on far too long with ES software from your input on the subject and that of others. You indicated over 600 responses to your bringing it up in the past, so it is noticed by a quite a few, just not the right few at Lexus or Toyota it seems who have the means to correct it.
Old 02-01-07, 05:26 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmaynard

You sound like me after I got royally screwed by Ford. After that lesson, I went to Toyota, and have never since bought anything else.

We have quite a few members who have reported a lack of reponse by Lexus corporate when asking for help in dealing with transmissions, other issues on the ES350.

Dealers, that is a different story, you can at times need to shop around for another as some give great, above and beyond service, others look at sales numbers and focus less on the customer it seems.
Old 02-01-07, 06:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Neo

Fantastic post Neo
Old 02-01-07, 09:00 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

The comments of some on this forum simply amaze me. The solution to a poorly designed/functioning car is sell it at a loss and pay the difference or "deal with it". Loyalty is an admirable quality, while blind loyalty is not. The indicators of a serious problem with Lexus/Toyota are everywhere: 1) recent newspaper article regarding quality slippage with TMC; 2) Several buyback ES 350's on eBay with admitted transmission replacements, 3) Lexus used car lots flooded with 02 thru 06 ES's. In fact, the dealer I bought my ES300 from low balled my trade in value by $3k and told me to take sell it at CARMAX. The dealers don't even want them! 4) Numerous TSB's 6) NHTSA investigations (which is notable that they even launched an investigation at all)

The bottom line: the consumer is the one who loses. My ES is not worth squat and it's Lexus' fault. We can either put our head in the sand and talk about just how nice the A/C is in our cars or we can pressure the company to take care of it's customers.

Yesterday a contractor stopped by to provide me with an estimate. He pulled up in a 2007 ES350. I asked him how he like it. He replied that it was a nice car. However, he was concerned about the transmission slipping. I pointed out that he may want to visit this website.

Anyone doubting how pervasive the problems are with Lexus should visit message boards for other vehicles. No where have I noted the level of concern discussed here on a regular basis.

Last edited by 909dude; 02-01-07 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-07, 09:07 AM
LexFather

Anyone doubting how pervasive the problems are with Lexus should visit message boards for other vehicles. No where have I noted the level of concern discussed here on a regular basis.
Just one place where a company had tranny problems. Check the Acura forums, for years they complained about tranny FAILURES (complete failures, sometimes 3 or 4 times) and Honda finally issued a 100k warrenty on the Acura CL/TL and I believe Odyessy, Accord and other cars. They never admitted fault or issued a recall even though the probem was much larger than the 5 or 6 people here. They admited to a 3% failure rate, which Acura owners thought was way to low.

So before you jump to conclusions, read up a little
Old 02-01-07, 10:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The comments of some on this forum simply amaze me. The solution to a poorly designed/functioning car is sell it at a loss and pay the difference or "deal with it". Loyalty is an admirable quality, while blind loyalty is not.
Although I agree that there are members who are devoted to Lexus (this is a Lexus enthusiast site afterall ), I think they are in the minority. They may be vocal, but I still think a minority. Most on here are reasonable in dealing with the Lexus brand.

I bought my Lexus in 98. In terms of car life, to many, that is a long time ago. I have bought 2 new cars since. Neither are Lexus. Will my next new car be a Lexus? I would not rule it out but the chances are low. Why? Lexus, although a few of models are nice, currently does not have an offering that wows me enough to make me part with my money. No brand loyalty here. I am not made of money so my hard earned dollars (what little of it there is ) goes to the car that meets the needs I have at the moment (and planned needs). My wife and I shot down all the Lexus SUV offerings because it was not the vehicle for us. We just did not go and buy a Lexus.

As for the tranny,

1. Flare - I've never experienced it since I do not have an ES350 but from the descriptions, it does not sound like a good thing. I sympathize with the frustrations of those experiencing this. Although there are reports of the "hesitation" issue with multiple models, no other model has had this "flare" problem. It seems to be isolated to the ES350 (and not every ES350) in the Lexus line. This is why I did not want to see the condemnation of a model and a brand because of an unfortunate number of ES350s with this issue. One issue, no matter how bad, does not make it a poorly designed and functional car. That one problem may be poorly designed but I think it is a reach to dondemn the whole car.

I have an 02 MDX. I have had the tranny replaced so I am a victim of the Honda tranny. Did every MDX have this problem? No. Were there many reported on public forums? Yes (including all the ones from the TL, Odyssey, ...). Will this stop me from buying another MDX? No. Will this stop me from buying another Acura? No. Despite how some members feel about Acuras, I think they make great cars. I still do. I would still do my due diligence before purchasing. I did not and will not bash the car and brand because of this issue since in many ways, the MDX is still the BEST SUV for MY needs. Unless I am willing to make concessions with other aspects of other SUVs, I am staying with the MDX and live happily with the decision.

I have talked with a few local dealers and Acura corporate about the issue. I did report on an Acura MDX forum that I had the problem in a couple of threads (I did not start the threads.) and it ends there. That is just how I keep from letting too much stress from invading my life. By all means, pursue the issue with Lexus as far as you want to take it. That is your prerogative. At some point, though, Lexus will do what they do and you will have to decide what you do if the Lexus action is not satisfactory TO YOU.

2. Transmission slips & hesitation - There is no way of knowing what causes the hesitation, whether if it is bad software design or inherent aspects of the way Lexus wants their car to drive. Still, potentially bad software does not equal a bad tranny (physical problem). Although the effect can be similar, it does not mean we should lump the problems together.

Last edited by Neo; 02-01-07 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 11:03 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yeah the ES tranny definitely has its sare of problems.

My 07 IS tranny is perfectly fine.
Old 02-01-07, 02:11 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
Although I agree that there are members who are devoted to Lexus (this is a Lexus enthusiast site afterall ), I think they are in the minority. They may be vocal, but I still think a minority. Most on here are reasonable in dealing with the Lexus brand.
Neo,

It would seem to me that a Lexus enthusiast would never tell a current Lexus owner to ditch the car, even at a loss to them, and go to a competing manufacturer and certainly not over something that can be corrected, there is something not quite right about that picture.

I looked at alan-AMF's web link and stopped first page over the cat fighting about CL was supposedly rude about postings of links of other sites which I have never seen happen. I did not see Alan told to sell the car in what I did view and did refer to numerous here at CL same trans hesitation complaint same time period, also never saw him told to sell his current ES350 over his wind noise post back when either.

I did realize we have to ask Alan-AMF if we can officially blame him for starting all this 5 years ago posting on trans hesitation and leave psych as not the heavy in this.
Old 02-01-07, 02:41 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
...Because they sure haven't in the ES350.

Anyone try decelerating to about 3mph to come up to a stop sign and then rolled thru and pushed down on the accelerator? You either get a jolt in the back or nothing for 1-3 seconds (followed by a jolt in the back).

Now for a real yuck try traveling at a steady 45-50mph and then flooring it. Nothing. That's right, absolutely NOTHING for about 3 seconds while the engine spools up the tranny. About three seconds after you wanted the power, you get it. Sure hope I never have to try this in an emergency when I don't have three seconds to wait!

For god's sake, Buicks know how to make a tranny and engine that appear to have some idea that the other exists.

Why can't Lexus???

(For the record, this same "disconnect" between tranny and engine was only too obvious in my '02 ES300 and (shock of shocks) was clearly present in my test drive of the LS460!!!)
If I drove my car like this, I would be trying to KILL my tranny.

Use your "S" mode, no emergencies, no hesitation passing, no hesitation at stop signs.
Old 02-01-07, 05:05 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Just one place where a company had tranny problems. Check the Acura forums, for years they complained about tranny FAILURES (complete failures, sometimes 3 or 4 times) and Honda finally issued a 100k warrenty on the Acura CL/TL and I believe Odyessy, Accord and other cars. They never admitted fault or issued a recall even though the probem was much larger than the 5 or 6 people here. They admited to a 3% failure rate, which Acura owners thought was way to low.

So before you jump to conclusions, read up a little
I've been buying Toyota/Lexus vehicles LONGER than you've been driving my friend. I kept buying these cars BECAUSE the company stood behind their product. I was ignored and treated like a 2-year old by the company I was loyal to for 3 decades. Lexus REFUSED to help me with my POS ES300 I wasted my hard earned cash on. My neighbor had an Acura TL with a crappy trans. The company stepped up to the plate and replaced the trans on a car outside of its warranty period and provided him with an extended warranty. Now compare what Lexus has done for me.....ZERO. Do your own homework before you spout off about how great these cars are. Go visit the Infiniti site and tell me what people are complaining about....I'll help you...nothing!!!

Last edited by 909dude; 02-01-07 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...