ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tranny Flare Really Solved!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 07:00 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
I only have what I read to back up any claims that this is a greater issue than 1/10th of 1%, unfortunately it is highly unscientific and takes no consideration in verifying legitimate cases... But to me it appears EVERY V6 with the U660E is affected, the problem is there are two groups of people.

1. People who know what is going on with their vehicles.

2. People who do not know what is going on with their vehicles.

Considering how this country votes and the fact most Lexus owners are in their golden years, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say #2 above prevails.
I take strong exception to you telling me I'm someone who doesn't know what's going on with his own car. Believe me, with all the posts of transmission flare I've paid close attention to mine and MY CAR DOESN'T HAVE IT. And I've yet to reach my "golden years".

I'm sorry for those who do have the flare problem, and it is a real issue, in some cars. But you have no business saying it must be all ES350s and those who claim their cars are fine don't know what they're talking about.
Old 01-23-07, 05:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I only have what I read to back up any claims that this is a greater issue than 1/10th of 1%, unfortunately it is highly unscientific and takes no consideration in verifying legitimate cases... But to me it appears EVERY V6 with the U660E is affected, the problem is there are two groups of people.

1. People who know what is going on with their vehicles.

2. People who do not know what is going on with their vehicles.

Considering how this country votes and the fact most Lexus owners are in their golden years, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say #2 above prevails.

But I've read now numerous instances of people getting Camry/ES loaners that also exhibit the transmission slipping.... And that is a hard point to ignore, no matter how you slice it.

As a result, I typically bow to anyone who has any resemblance of "hard fact" when considering failure rates... But in the back of my mind I can't get over the fact that I've yet to hear/read a similar amount of on and off examples. Like the loaner was, FABULOUS!

Take Bob for example... What are the chances??? Think about it, if the failure rate is so low, Bob is one bad-luck-dude... They bought out his old beater and gave him another beater.

But this only affect a small percentage of vehicles, right?
While making for interesting reading, your logic is total B.S.
Old 01-23-07, 06:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

His "logic" is no more BS than those that claim this is happening to a tiny minority of vehicles, both are extreme.

He could have allowed there are some that will not hose up, whatever his reasoning, and instead stated the potential exists as a function of the part involved, language of the TSIB, and from my perspective the fact that gears 2 to 3 do slip on these and Lexus, at least for a time, seemed totally clueless of that fact.

Whether they will or not is another matter.
Old 01-23-07, 08:58 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does how the country votes, have to do with the tranmission issue???
You used the correct emoticon - Clueless

Is it true Hillary is going to run in 08?

Now you know what I mean.
Old 01-23-07, 09:01 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I take strong exception to you telling me I'm someone who doesn't know what's going on with his own car. Believe me, with all the posts of transmission flare I've paid close attention to mine and MY CAR DOESN'T HAVE IT. And I've yet to reach my "golden years".

I'm sorry for those who do have the flare problem, and it is a real issue, in some cars. But you have no business saying it must be all ES350s and those who claim their cars are fine don't know what they're talking about.
If I pointed you out in particular, I could understand your being upset.

Never claimed it wasn't, the whole post was about opne of those things that make you go HHmmmmmmmm.

Take Bob's case for example, as I pointed out... If the problem is so small, he has some truly bad luck.

Right?
Old 01-23-07, 10:05 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you got a gs replacement at no extra cost??!
Of course not. Since I moved into another Lexus, I had to pay a difference between car sale prices and was taxed only on that amount of difference. After all said and done, I ended up paying $5k to move from ES into GS. My dealership stick by their word of "making it right" and sold GS at below invoice price to make it happen.

Its very sad that Canadian dealerships don't practice the same integrity. In case of others who are hesitant with replacement of ES350 tranny (when flare is discovered), why wait? Yes, the replacement might not fixe the problem. Either way, you can have a chance to fix your car or to have an "opportunity" to get another bad tranny and hopefully a choice to get a brand new ES350 replacement or move into GS, etc.

... off-topic: After finishing this reply, a second later I get a spam e-mail from 123Greeting about participating in some survey for a chance of a lifetime to win 2007 Camry SE. What a timing LOL!!!!

Last edited by twister; 01-23-07 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-23-07, 10:34 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Take Bob's case for example, as I pointed out... If the problem is so small, he has some truly bad luck.

ons,

There are droves of these, it is not just me that got a second transmission only in a different car that is hosed up, just look at the volume of our own members who got second transmissions that also failed.

If this were some small number of transmissions out there destined to be installed in any ES350 at the plant or as replacement it would be impossible so many of our own members experienced second ones failing when they are supposedly in the tiniest minority of likelihood to begin with.

Virtually every single one of our own members getting a replacement transmission would claim it was perfect if this were not a widespread problem that is causing so many of them to experience it yet again, myself included.
Old 01-23-07, 10:43 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does not have the flare. However, I drove a service loaner for 2 days and it flared several times when cold. I can tell the difference.
Old 01-23-07, 04:46 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
ons,

There are droves of these, it is not just me that got a second transmission only in a different car that is hosed up, just look at the volume of our own members who got second transmissions that also failed.

If this were some small number of transmissions out there destined to be installed in any ES350 at the plant or as replacement it would be impossible so many of our own members experienced second ones failing when they are supposedly in the tiniest minority of likelihood to begin with.

Virtually every single one of our own members getting a replacement transmission would claim it was perfect if this were not a widespread problem that is causing so many of them to experience it yet again, myself included.
Sorry Bob, not picking on you or anyone here in particular, I truly believe there are a "few" 3.5 Toyota engines mated to U660E transmissions that are totally flawless....

But that does not answer the "streetwise" logic that upsets ANYONE who says this is a limited issue, where I wonder... If anyone's car should be working correctly right now, it should be yours.

I mean really think about this a minute... Say for instance, out of the 75,000 (I still think that is high) ES350s sold in 2006 only 1000 of them are affected by this issue, a nut-hair above 1% of all ESs. Now mind you, I am (and likely you) aware of about 75-100 cases personally... Whether you're lying or I am lying about our issues is not to be solved in this example. So you Bob, walked into a dealership I believe sometime in the spring and drove off in an affected car... Then sometime in the fall, you got another one out of the batch of only 1000 affected???

Something stinks about how minor of an issue this problem is.
Old 01-23-07, 05:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Sorry Bob, not picking on you or anyone here in particular, I truly believe there are a "few" 3.5 Toyota engines mated to U660E transmissions that are totally flawless....

But that does not answer the "streetwise" logic that upsets ANYONE who says this is a limited issue, where I wonder... If anyone's car should be working correctly right now, it should be yours.

I mean really think about this a minute... Say for instance, out of the 75,000 (I still think that is high) ES350s sold in 2006 only 1000 of them are affected by this issue, a nut-hair above 1% of all ESs. Now mind you, I am (and likely you) aware of about 75-100 cases personally... Whether you're lying or I am lying about our issues is not to be solved in this example. So you Bob, walked into a dealership I believe sometime in the spring and drove off in an affected car... Then sometime in the fall, you got another one out of the batch of only 1000 affected???

Something stinks about how minor of an issue this problem is.
ons,

I agree with you and the only issue dreyfus took to was the all of them approach and those not noticing were somehow as though clueless. I felt you had just stated your view off kilter as now you state some are operating properly which is more evenly stated.

There are indeed a lot of them hosed up, we don't need see anything more than the number of second transmission failures to know for certain there is no small numer of these. If it were a small number we would never see so many of our own members report a second transmission failed. Or, for any eye opener, key in ES350 transmission and see the numerous others reporting failed second transmissions elsewhere.

I think it goes back to something wise Wanderer said should be paramount. We drive these every day and if we approach Lexus or one of it's dealers and we say this and such is going on with the car, they need to take it SERIOUSLY.

The reason I think this is still going on is because they refused to listen when told the things slip 2 to 3 not just 3 to 4, so as a result they missed something BIG about these transmissions and now they have to race to catch up and that is assuming they finally realized they slip 2 to 3 as well.

Back when I was saying it, there were very few who acknowledged their's did, only 1 or maybe 2 others at best even hinted at 2 to 3 as well as 3 to 4. Now numerous people have come along and reported their's slip to 2 to 3 at times or have as well as 3 to 4.

You cannot address a transmission defect thoroughly when you refuse to listen to the customer who drives it every day about 2 to 3 involved too and blindly focus on something only connected to 3 to 4 as a result of NOT listening.

That's my .02
Old 01-23-07, 06:09 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the transmission issue must be very prevelant based on all the examples available. Local instances, mutiple buy back cars on eBay, and the many that have posted here tells me this issue is widespread and worthy of a recall.

I am curious if anyone has had the flare issue and had it apparently go away? I have never been able to induce the flare and I have tried many times. I had it happen twice several weeks ago (barely heard it) and once I actually saw the tach climb about 2 or 3 hundred rpm. Last time was a couple of weeks ago and no flares since. Is this issue that random in frequency and severity?

Pete
Old 01-23-07, 06:12 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

I'm wandering if the problem is not with the physical transmission, but rather is with a defective CPU that runs the transmission. Replacing the transmission but keeping the bad CPU would explain why the second transmission also fails.
That is if there is a CPU running the transmission.
oakplank
Old 01-23-07, 06:43 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ESsearch
I agree that the transmission issue must be very prevelant based on all the examples available. Local instances, mutiple buy back cars on eBay, and the many that have posted here tells me this issue is widespread and worthy of a recall.

I am curious if anyone has had the flare issue and had it apparently go away? I have never been able to induce the flare and I have tried many times. I had it happen twice several weeks ago (barely heard it) and once I actually saw the tach climb about 2 or 3 hundred rpm. Last time was a couple of weeks ago and no flares since. Is this issue that random in frequency and severity?

Pete
Pete,

Yes, it can be that random as to frequency and severity. I have not seen anyone report they go away completely and part of that may be because there is not enough time since they are not even a year old for someone to say that is so yet; but I think it unlikely, I think it would just get worse over time.

My former ES350 was random and could be baby flares as you described at the start and throughout with severe ones as well as time and miles added up and you could not induce it on purpose if you were paid to, except maybe if you did it every day 5 days in a row but it wouldn't be you inducing it, it would be it's randomness coincided with your effort. The 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 were involved.

Do you think your's when it does it is classic 3 to 4 or is 2 to 3 a suspect too? Also does it out of the blue downshift on you at a steady 35mph and then upshift as quickly as it downshifted where you see that on tach like it got real confused?
Old 01-23-07, 07:02 PM
ckon
Rookie

We've got a little over 15,000 miles on our ES350 and the flare happened once, possibly even twice, at around 4,000 miles. None since.
Old 01-23-07, 08:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

definitely a large enough problem not to ignore.

Fortunately, I don't have this flare.

so......... any firsthand reports on this fix yet???

Quick Reply: Tranny Flare Really Solved!!!!