ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I want to buy an ES350 but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 01:33 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
A very predictable response. So a 1.5% defect rate is acceptable for the ES350 but 13 defective LS430s is not acceptable to Lexus? It's nice to hear that Lexus is looking out for the little guy. I get it now, Satan is the guy that put together the 13 LS430s and the guy that put together the 1000 ES350s just had a bad day. That makes perfect sense thanks for helping me understand.

It is interesting that Satan landed in the debate for you to respond to it, isn't he the entity reported to tempt you into doing something, casting aside all your doubts and intuitions to the contrary, to deceive you into thinking something is just peachy keen, no worries mate

I looked for your thread where you were ready to go get the cars and we provided you with a checklist and our forum only goes back 4 pages so I could not find it. If time permits can you find it and give us an update response to it? Seems this author is making a similar decision to you and you above all people are proof CL is not a bunch of auto-forum whiners.
Old 12-16-06, 01:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tnedator
As suggested by someone in this thread, I went to Edmunds and MSN Autos and scanned through the user ratings. On Edmunds, there were around 90 reviews and if I remember right the average rating was around 9.4 or so (out of 10). At MSN, there were maybe 45 reviews and the average rating was 9.0. In the first few pages of reviews at MSN, there were two people that posted about tranny problems and gave the car 1 for quality and overall a VERY low rating. While I didn't go through all the reviews on either site, there couldn't have been many bad reviews for the average review/rating to be so high on both of the sites.
J.D. Power gives the '07 Camry 3.5L V6 w/6 sp automatic, 4 1/2 out of 5 for mechanical manufacture quality, and 4 out of 5 for mechanical design quality. Same engine and trans as the ES 350. This is per the J.D. Power link on the Kelly Blue Book site.
Old 12-16-06, 02:15 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
J.D. Power gives the '07 Camry 3.5L V6 w/6 sp automatic, 4 1/2 out of 5 for mechanical manufacture quality, and 4 out of 5 for mechanical design quality. Same engine and trans as the ES 350. This is per the J.D. Power link on the Kelly Blue Book site.
Lex....

I went to JD Power and just like with Consumer Reports there is a disclaimer...in the case of JD Power there is an asterisk in red right at right rating stars showing, you go down and read and here is what it says about the 07 Camry...based on prior years model...

jdpower.com/autos/car-comparison/compare.aspx

* Ratings for this model are not available for one of two reasons:

1) This model is too new to have owner ratings. We provided the ratings for the previous year,
*** which may be helpful but not directly comparable.
2) We do not have sufficient feedback from owners at this time.
Old 12-16-06, 02:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

If you access the model mentioned via the JDP link on the KBB web site, you'll see the ratings mentioned. No disclaimers or asterisks. I don't know why they'd be current there and not on JDP. Go figure.
Old 12-16-06, 02:41 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

If you access the model mentioned via the JDP link on the KBB web site, you'll see the ratings mentioned. No disclaimers or asterisks. I don't know why they'd be current there and not on JDP. Go figure.

Seems the disclaimer data was omitted for some reason.

Ons hangs out on Toyota sites, maybe he can let us know if the Toyota Camry folks are complaining over transmission flares etc., other than his own.
Old 12-16-06, 02:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
If you go to the Consumer Reports thread on here, there is a link Wnaderer to yahoo in addition to the links he posted mentioned above where owners reviewed their ES350, by percentages it is worse than what is reported here by owners.
FWIW, in earlier posts on the subject, I suggested checking Yahoo too. For balance etc.

One could make the case that since there are fewer reviews on Yahoo (30), than MSN (46) and Edmunds (80), each review, pro or con, has a larger effect on the totals, but that would be nit picking.
Old 12-16-06, 03:18 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

FWIW, in earlier posts on the subject, I suggested checking Yahoo too. For balance etc.

One could make the case that since there are fewer reviews on Yahoo (30), than MSN (46) and Edmunds (80), each review, pro or con, has a larger effect on the totals, but that would be nit picking.
Tally the sum of 30, 46, 80 and our own poll last I knew 118 plus or minus and then look at the percentages who claim they got a car with no defects compared to those that claim they did.

Even if every single report from those other sites were glowing, and no defects reported, which they are not, tallying sum of all sites puts defects at 10 percent of those responding.

Since they are not all glowing, I think if time were spent, not by me, adding up reports from all sites of no problems reported Vs. problems reported, by the time one were finished, the percentages derived as sum from all sites would directly correlate to what we find on our own poll of CL members.

I have faith in our own CL site of owners/members here as reflected in our poll.

You will get the most accurate picture here at CL of what is going on with a vehicle if it has a Lexus emblem on it.
Old 12-16-06, 04:44 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at either the Infiniti G35 or M35. CR rates them higher than Lexus. I'm very happy with my M35. I will never own another Lexus. The company has turned into GM and totally out of touch with their customers.
Old 12-16-06, 04:47 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 909dude
Take a look at either the Infiniti G35 or M35. CR rates them higher than Lexus. I'm very happy with my M35. I will never own another Lexus. The company has turned into GM and totally out of touch with their customers.

What color M did you get, exterior/interior? Beautiful car BTW.
Old 12-17-06, 08:34 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

ES350Bob

We purchased the car in the serengeti sand color with the wheat leather/rosewood interior. Thanks for the compliment. We couldn't be happier with the car.
Old 12-17-06, 08:58 AM
LexFather

Actually Renault/Nissan is more close to GM than Toyota could ever be. Hell they may still merge.
This thread proves my point. The same 3 or 4 people repeating the same 3 or 4 things.
Thanks. Good day.
Old 12-17-06, 09:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

ES350Bob

We purchased the car in the serengeti sand color with the wheat leather/rosewood interior. Thanks for the compliment. We couldn't be happier with the car.

That wheat interior is very, very nice, so nice I kept asking if you could get it in the graphite ext. G35, sadly they told me you could not.

I did keep veering over to the M, only one there end of October on showroom floor and it had wheat interior and graphite like ext only I think they called the ext graphite something else on M or vice versa the did on G35. The M is awesome! The dash and also the more vertical side area controls, pardon my location descriptions, and the refinement were very nice.

Maybe the author of this thread should check it out and the G35 at the same time.
Old 12-17-06, 10:36 AM
emas
Driver School Candidate

So here's as question... what would you advise someone who is/was about to buy one, WAIT or TAKE A CHANCE???
Old 12-17-06, 10:45 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emas
So here's as question... what would you advise someone who is/was about to buy one, WAIT or TAKE A CHANCE???
Why wait?.......life is too short.......besides there's no guarantee that these glitches will be fixed in the '08. That is my take on this whole situation.
Old 12-17-06, 10:50 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Why wait?.......life is too short.......besides there's no guarantee that these glitches will be fixed in the '08. That is my take on this whole situation.
I generally agree with this comment, however, life is also too short to have your brand new $40k+ car in the shop for service. If Lexus would have handled the situation differently, I'd say buy the car with confidence. However, the level or service (or lack thereof) is what is most concerning to me.

e

Quick Reply: I want to buy an ES350 but...