I want to buy an ES350 but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 08:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by twister
1Sicklex, with all my due respect, this is a very inaccurate comment. I'm the only person out of my "dealership" that is posting in here. I know for a fact our dealership already did more than half-a-dozen of buybacks and dozens of tranny replacements of ES350. This is just one dealership, OK? On top of that, there are hundreds of older folks with ES350 in our area who have no idea what flare is even if it hit them in a face. Please don't take it as a personal attack, I know its your job as a moderator to keep the forum in order and to keep the Lexus reputation "clean". But, you do not own ES350 and you base your comments on previous experience with older ES models and their reliability. I'm very confident to say that ES350 will go down as a dark spot in Lexus history.
How did all those "older folks" make it that long being so oblivous to what's going on around them? They must be very lucky I guess.

Last edited by LexBob2; 12-16-06 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-16-06, 08:23 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can the 08's have the bugs shaken out of them when Lexus does not even know how to fix the 07's?
Old 12-16-06, 09:23 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
How can the 08's have the bugs shaken out of them when Lexus does not even know how to fix the 07's?
.......and who's to say that Lexus will address the tranny problems by the time that the '08 ES's are released, given the fact that they never were able to correct the transmission problems in the previous generation of ES's('02 thru '06)? Another point is that other problems, such as certain body rattles were NEVER addressed on the assembly line, even though there were TSB's issued. You would think that when a TSB is issued that Lexus would take heed so that they didn't have to be fixed at the dealer! These problems continued for 5 years!!!
Old 12-16-06, 10:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by e-man
I believe it's more than 3 or 4 people Sick. And, it's not just that people are reporting problems. They are reporting the EXACT SAME problems. And, it's not just that they are reporting the exact same problems, but they are also reporting inadequate dealer response/service in relation to the problem.

I call a spade a spade, and if it were just a few whiney complainers who had nothing better to do with their time than bash the car, that would be one thing. But clearly that's not the case. These people have spent $40k on a car and, more importantly, the Lexus name, and expect and deserve more.

On a related note, the father of a close friend of mine bought an ES350 a few weeks ago. My friend called me last night because his dad asked him to ask me a question about the car (he knows I'm a car guy and a Lexus fanatic). It seems like the transmission is "skipping," as he described it, and he wanted to know if I had any suggestions. He's in his late 60s, not computer-literate and wouldn't know a forum if it jumped up and bit him in the butt. Think about all the ES350 owners are out there (like my friend's dad) who don't use a computer, and even if they do, don't visit Internet forums. You're kidding yourself if you think that the problem is limited to "3 or 4 people constantly posting". The problems are much more widespread, but just not reported here.

e
There are on average 6,000 ESs sold a month. We have maybe at the most, say, I'll GIVE you 1,000 ES forum members complaining (Which we know is not even close).
6,000 x 12= 72,000 ESs
1,000 owners= about 1.5%

And we are wondering how the ES 350 won most reliable with initial quality?

I am and will not say the ES 350 doesn't have issues and more than usual for a Lexus. I refuse to have a few people make me and others believe the car is built by satan.
Old 12-16-06, 10:29 AM
LexFather

1Sicklex, with all my due respect, this is a very inaccurate comment. I'm the only person out of my "dealership" that is posting in here. I know for a fact our dealership already did more than half-a-dozen of buybacks and dozens of tranny replacements of ES350. This is just one dealership, OK? On top of that, there are hundreds of older folks with ES350 in our area who have no idea what flare is even if it hit them in a face. Please don't take it as a personal attack, I know its your job as a moderator to keep the forum in order and to keep the Lexus reputation "clean". But, you do not own ES350 and you base your comments on previous experience with older ES models and their reliability. I'm very confident to say that ES350 will go down as a dark spot in Lexus history.
No disrespect taken, we are just trying to come with fair and balanced results.
Here in Atlanta, I have not heard much of anything
Again,not saying the ES 350 is not having issues, I agree there is and more than normal (for a Lexus). If the ES gets knocked off it's quality perch in ratings, then we really have ammunition to believe so.

Until then, we are basing more of this on
1. Individual experience
2. Multiple owners here (not even in the hundreds)
3. No hard data from Lexus (no recall)

Historically if there is a truly bad issues, Lexus will issue a voluntary recall. They actually did one with the revised 2004 LS 430, there was like 13 cars with an odd tranny issues, they recalled the entire batch of cars even though they did not have to.

I am not saying Lexus is perfect, however their track record is the most credible of all car makers.
Old 12-16-06, 10:29 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How did all those "older folks" make it that long being so oblivous to what's going on around them? They must be very lucky I guess.
Don't take it personally, not everyone is as advance as you, Bob and Alan. You guys have my respect, and I consider you as "older folks" relative to my age. The reason, cause I know my grandmother still considers listening to walkman with a tape as technological advance

Anyway, my point is not to offend anybody in any age category, but just to point out there is no way to have an accurate statistics for this tranny problem.
Old 12-16-06, 10:34 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am and will not say the ES 350 doesn't have issues and more than usual for a Lexus. I refuse to have a few people make me and others believe the car is built by satan.
The car is not built by satan Its build by samurai who will never admit to their defeat. Otherwise, they have to perform hara-kiri
Old 12-16-06, 10:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The car is not built by satan Its build by samurai who will never admit to their defeat. Otherwise, they have to perform hara-kiri
Is hara-kiri the same as seppuku ?
Old 12-16-06, 11:35 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are on average 6,000 ESs sold a month. We have maybe at the most, say, I'll GIVE you 1,000 ES forum members complaining (Which we know is not even close).
6,000 x 12= 72,000 ESs
1,000 owners= about 1.5%

A very predictable response. So a 1.5% defect rate is acceptable for the ES350 but 13 defective LS430s is not acceptable to Lexus? It's nice to hear that Lexus is looking out for the little guy. I get it now, Satan is the guy that put together the 13 LS430s and the guy that put together the 1000 ES350s just had a bad day. That makes perfect sense thanks for helping me understand.
Old 12-16-06, 11:45 AM
tnedator
Driver

6,000 x 12= 72,000 ESs
1,000 owners= about 1.5%

As suggested by someone in this thread, I went to Edmunds and MSN Autos and scanned through the user ratings. On Edmunds, there were around 90 reviews and if I remember right the average rating was around 9.4 or so (out of 10). At MSN, there were maybe 45 reviews and the average rating was 9.0. In the first few pages of reviews at MSN, there were two people that posted about tranny problems and gave the car 1 for quality and overall a VERY low rating. While I didn't go through all the reviews on either site, there couldn't have been many bad reviews for the average review/rating to be so high on both of the sites.
Old 12-16-06, 12:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tnedator
As suggested by someone in this thread, I went to Edmunds and MSN Autos and scanned through the user ratings. On Edmunds, there were around 90 reviews and if I remember right the average rating was around 9.4 or so (out of 10). At MSN, there were maybe 45 reviews and the average rating was 9.0. In the first few pages of reviews at MSN, there were two people that posted about tranny problems and gave the car 1 for quality and overall a VERY low rating. While I didn't go through all the reviews on either site, there couldn't have been many bad reviews for the average review/rating to be so high on both of the sites.
If you go to the Consumer Reports thread on here, there is a link Wnaderer to yahoo in addition to the links he posted mentioned above where owners reviewed their ES350, by percentages it is worse than what is reported here by owners.
Old 12-16-06, 12:22 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
If you go to the Consumer Reports thread on here, there is a link Wnaderer to yahoo in addition to the links he posted mentioned above where owners reviewed their ES350, by percentages it is worse than what is reported here by owners.
I'll check that out. In the meantime, here are the Edmunds, MSN and Yahoo user reviews:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/lexu..._consumer.html

http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...?modelid=12080

http://<br /> http://autos.yahoo.co...52ehUgoZh0oM8F
Old 12-16-06, 12:24 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tnedator
I'll check that out. In the meantime, here are the Edmunds and MSN user reviews:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/lexu..._consumer.html

http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...?modelid=12080

those were over there also on the Consumer Reports thread, you simply did not receive the yahoo one.
Old 12-16-06, 12:35 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Nobody is wondering how Consumer Reports assigned it most reliable in it's class unless they did not read the data release fine print or italics.. they based their "prediction" on prior years data.

There was no ES350 in prior years, so it is a giant guess on their part.

There is a link to the article covering the data release under the Consumer Reports thread on here.

You will see italics used where the prediction disclaimer is on the fist page of the article.

Oddly though, you will see no indication the ES350 is a new model for 07 on the graph, yet it is a brand model.
Old 12-16-06, 12:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Is hara-kiri the same as seppuku ?
Yes, its the same Either way, they will not spill their guts out

Quick Reply: I want to buy an ES350 but...