ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Please indicate your ES350 transmission problem, concern by build month
Transmission Shift Flare Requiring Service
27.45%
Transmission seems erratic at times with a shift flare now and then, will observe for now
25.49%
02/06 Build
1.96%
03/06 Build
1.96%
04/06 Build
7.84%
05/06 Build
11.76%
06/06 Build
7.84%
07/06 Build
9.80%
08/06 Build
17.65%
09/06 Build
15.69%
10/06 Build
5.88%
11/06 Build
7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Problem By Build Date

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 10:10 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Here we go.... All you need to know about the U660E.

- There are three variants of the transmission I am strictly talking "design" variants. (not including those built at different plants or real early initial setups) they are as follows...

1. installed prior to 07/2006
2. installed after 07/2006
3. spanking brand new revision s/b included on everything with a late build 12/2006 definitely on anything built 01/2006 (please note: I'm adding a little subjective analysis on this variant based on what I do know, my info comes from service, not manufacturing)

This is not a revised TSB, yet. But a blanket swap by build date is strongly indicated, unfortunately cars built after the 07/2006 build date will get the swap if trans flare exists... Valve body does not solve the issue. Prior to 07/2006, the valve body should cure the issue... Possibly the reason the early build fellas appear to be more content with their now higher mileage cars????

The consensus at this point (and one I considered earlier) as to the "real cause" of the flare is a checkvalve that drains fluid while sitting for extended periods...

The "cold phoenomenon" now seems to make more sense.... The passageway/reservoir/tube whatever that is draining fluid is able to fill faster when warm because the fluid is "thinner." As such the flare is much more prominent as we've gotten into the teens around here and the car is more cold soaked. Once filled the area is maintained with fluid because of the hydraulic pressure maintained in the transmission while running, the reason it only happens once.

My car is now the 3rd such candidate for this treatment, there is a problem and they know it, but real world percentages are supposedly small??? Whatever the case, I would still suggest waiting a little longer, but I would urge people to raise the complaint with your dealer if only to gather information... Decline the work.

Another member on this board PM'd me just about the very same information I'm telling today almost a week ago, if we're all being told the same thing it looks like the tranny issue may be put to rest. Unfortunately there are many who fall in the "major overhaul" category.

New, new owners should be elated with their new cars! I'll now have Fuked Over Rebuilt Datsun! I'm thinking about starting to smoke big cigars with big burning embers really carelessly while I drive!
Old 12-22-06, 10:20 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
I would still suggest waiting a little longer, but I would urge people to raise the complaint with your dealer if only to gather information... Decline the work.

I agree to wait after reporting, the TSIB is not solving earlier build prior to July so it seems if this is the best and most recent approach, they have not yet figured this whole trans issue out.

It does seem that the flat swap approach for those after 07/06 may be as a result of a change made they did not announce. But we have seen members report whose swap fails too.
Old 12-22-06, 10:33 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I agree to wait after reporting, the TSIB is not solving earlier build prior to July so it seems if this is the best and most recent approach, they have not yet figured this whole trans issue out.

It does seem that the flat swap approach for those after 07/06 may be as a result of a change made they did not announce. But we have seen members report whose swap fails too.
Please understand the transmission variants... Yes, post 07/2006 replacements have failed.

The whole point here is this... There is a new (within recent weeks) variation of the U660E. Replacements post 07/2006 up until probably as late as last week will not be the "new style" transmission. Think of it as a U660E Type A, Type B and Type C...

Type A can supposedly be fixed with a valve body

Type B requires the installation of Type C to fix the transmission flare.
Old 12-22-06, 10:43 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Please understand the transmission variants... Yes, post 07/2006 replacements have failed.

The whole point here is this... There is a new (within recent weeks) variation of the U660E. Replacements post 07/2006 up until probably as late as last week will not be the "new style" transmission. Think of it as a U660E Type A, Type B and Type C...

Type A can supposedly be fixed with a valve body

Type B requires the installation of Type C to fix the transmission flare.
I understood it the way it was related to you and that you shared with us.
The TSIB is not working though on prior to 07/06 builds is what I was pointing out and also swaps are not either in cases.
Old 12-22-06, 11:31 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the visocosity of cold transmission fluid played a part in this problem. I am also thinking the cold engine knock noise is a similiar type issue.
Old 12-22-06, 11:33 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Ons...,

We could see if you use your car as the test: Wait till end of first week of January, call and schedule your trans replacement then where they will order it no sooner than then. That should be the 3rd plus version and if it works then we will have an idea we might going places. That is assuming the cigar smoking does not interfere with this worthy experiment
Old 12-22-06, 12:08 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Now that is HOT news!! Please re-confirm 12/06 build will have the new trans "C" revision as you see it, or is the "C" only installed in the last few weeks of 12/06. Thanks
Old 12-22-06, 12:23 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osokuko
Now that is HOT news!! Please re-confirm 12/06 build will have the new trans "C" revision as you see it, or is the "C" only installed in the last few weeks of 12/06. Thanks

oso..,

He indicated late build--last weeks of 12/06 but seems it would be a certainty for a vehicle with a 01/07 build month.

That is the Toyota side or Clamry as he likes to call it...LOL. Should apply to or will at some point though to our Lexus.

Considering all things, it would be safer to wait and see for SURE that this 3rd one works as a final and permanent fix.
Old 12-22-06, 01:05 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Well, picked up the new and improved transmission installed in our ES350 UL with 2,300 miles. So far, so good. I did beat it somewhat coming home and it shifts as it should. Will be 30 degrees F tomorrrow morning in Northeast PA - will test / report then. No fix on the cold engine noise and I am contemplating an oil and filter change to see if the factory installed oil filter is the cuplrit.
Old 12-22-06, 01:58 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, if I read the forthcoming new TSIB correct, they are still indicating only a valve body replacement on my 04/06 car? How can this be...when we have so many reports of this not working for other folks?
Old 12-22-06, 02:31 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
So, if I read the forthcoming new TSIB correct, they are still indicating only a valve body replacement on my 04/06 car? How can this be...when we have so many reports of this not working for other folks?
You read it right, does it make sense? No, might it happen, YES.

Consider this if you want unless you want to escalate to a buyback or hassles as both are possible, wait, do nothing at all until you see in print an official announcement they have changed the transmission for the 08, then go get your's looked at.

I'm not a mechanic but when I looked over that TSIB posted on here back in August, paid attention to my former car and the posts on here I told Lexus officials that thing would not solve the problem and won't solve my current either. It, in my opinion, has a serious issue they may not have considered at all and judging by the failures seems they have not. That is just my opinion though, but it has held up twice now so far panning out to be correct. 3rd time could be a charm though and they may have finally solved it.
Old 12-22-06, 05:11 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I hope this is all resolved. After not driving our car for almost two weeks, our ES350 UL drives and looks beautiful.
Old 12-22-06, 05:13 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
I hope this is all resolved. After not driving our car for almost two weeks, our ES350 UL drives and looks beautiful.
I'm sure it will be, in the meantime I hope your trans serves you well.
Old 12-23-06, 07:11 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Drove the retransmissionized ES350 this morning, 45 degrees F, no shift flare. Shifted the way it should (in my opinion) but I am still enjoying the mild cold engine knock. My complaint / concern is documented on the work order so, in the future, any problems, their baby (so to speak).
Old 12-25-06, 10:51 AM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 10/06 build, so far I cant see this problem, only 450 miles on it but again I have none of the issues that have been seen on this forum.

Oh I selected a build date but no problem because I dont have one, this could be a valuble poll but it has no signifcant meaning if it is one sided. If you want I am the only 10/06 build on your poll so far so you can eliminate by selection of build date and no problem, sorry about messing it up.

Had to edit again, you know as I read through all these tranny issue threads I have to think one thing that my buddy who is a GM said to me, "why do I care?" His point is that the car has one of the best warranty's on the planet, and like the Toyota's (since I have owned four in the last 6 years) I have never had an issue with them fixing things that were not right. Now I know some folks will say they cant fix this yet (or that it shouldnt happen), but my answer is they will, if this thread has correct information it appears they have and answer already and if that is the case everyone should have no problem getting it fixed. I have always gone into a service department and treated those folks with respect as I would want myself but I know that is not always the case for customers and often the customer gets angry and abusive, I have seen it. Dont expect much then. would you do that to your cook or waiter in a restaurant or would you be afraid they would spit in your food, thats happen too by the way.

So my theory is drive it like its stolen, when it breaks and I mean really breaks bring it in. By the way saw a few tranny issues on the 3GS forum also, and many more issues to boot, upper and lower control arms? Ill take a tranny issue over that any day...

Last edited by Mlawler; 12-25-06 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem By Build Date