ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Please indicate your ES350 transmission problem, concern by build month
Transmission Shift Flare Requiring Service
27.45%
Transmission seems erratic at times with a shift flare now and then, will observe for now
25.49%
02/06 Build
1.96%
03/06 Build
1.96%
04/06 Build
7.84%
05/06 Build
11.76%
06/06 Build
7.84%
07/06 Build
9.80%
08/06 Build
17.65%
09/06 Build
15.69%
10/06 Build
5.88%
11/06 Build
7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Problem By Build Date

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 05:26 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Bob - great poll. I'm shocked that the later builds still report problems. Its too early for the 10/06 and 11/06 builds I suspect to report issues. I shouldn't be shocked by these polls, but they continue to have that effect on me!

Thanks, many ask or some volunteer build info, so figured this might be helpful in that regard.

But I am not shocked at all, given the way the TSIB is worded and that is early August release and also given the treatment I personally received from Lexus corporate. They were not interested in reviewing my recordings and would not listen to my objection that 3 to 4 is not the only problem with these transmissions, seems they are now, as in recently figuring that out though.

They gambled on volume that would fail, every build month is susceptible to this, only time will give the final tally of failures, certainly majorly incoveniences people who were not forwarned, bought one, and then are experiencing the "flare"-slipping.
Old 12-16-06, 12:02 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about an update for Oct. builds and later trans.

Currently I see we have no votes being applied to the graph for October build. May I invite any of the October or later build owner to participate in a vote or post and let us know if everything is going well or maybe not so well with your trans to date. Greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-06, 12:30 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Originally Posted by osokuko
Currently I see we have no votes being applied to the graph for October build. May I invite any of the October or later build owner to participate in a vote or post and let us know if everything is going well or maybe not so well with your trans to date. Greatly appreciated.
I just purchased my car on 12/10. It is an Oct. build. I will certainly let everyone know if a problem crops up.
Old 12-16-06, 02:02 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

seeker - Congratulations on your band new ES 350 I know your going to enjoy all the bells and whistles.
Old 12-16-06, 06:05 PM
tnedator
Driver

The one I will be picking up in about 2 weeks (when it arrives) is an October build. I will also report what I find.
Old 12-16-06, 08:01 PM
robobbi
Driver School Candidate

I picked mine up last Thursday, December 7, 2006 and it is an 11/06 build date.
Old 12-17-06, 11:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tnedator
The one I will be picking up in about 2 weeks (when it arrives) is an October build. I will also report what I find.
Congrats on your purchase. What color will you be getting?
Old 12-17-06, 01:54 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Congrats on your purchase. What color will you be getting?
I'll be getting to drive my Subaru Forester, my wife will be driving her Ruby Red UL with Cashmiere interior. LOL

I guess she will let me drive it when we go on trips.
Old 12-21-06, 05:55 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

FELLAS!

THE TSB/TSIB HAS BEEN REVISED!!!!

I have only a voice message at this time, but I will confirm tomorrow morning.

As you may know, I skipped the valve body replacement... I'm further confused by the near identicle voice-message left at both my residence and work # today. IT INDICATES THE FOLLOWING:

1. The cutoff build date has been determined to be 07/2006

2. All cars before AND after 07/2006 will flare when shifting between 3rd & 4th

Here's the kicker #3 (and the source of my confusion because as the build date cut-off indicates a "change" <<<---- IN THIS CASE FOR THE WORSE) Hopefully my guy doesn't have it backwards, again, I'll confirm in the morning.

3.a. Cars before 07/2006 will require replacement of the valve body to fix the shift flare

3.b. Cars after 07/2006 will REQUIRE a replacement transmission to fix the shift flare

P.S. I almost lit my car on fire earlier this evening.

[b]P.S.S. I have a CLAMry with the same engine/tranny package as the ES 350, take this FWIW, I'm talking with Toyota boys, not Lexus boys.
Old 12-21-06, 05:59 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by onsknht
FELLAS!

As you may know, I skipped the valve body replacement... I'm further confused by the near identicle voice-message left at both my residence and work # today. IT INDICATES THE FOLLOWING:

Here's the kicker #3 (and the source of my confusion because as the build date cut-off indicates a "change" <<<---- IN THIS CASE FOR THE WORSE) Hopefully my guy doesn't have it backwards, again, I'll confirm in the morning.

3.a. Cars before 07/2006 will require replacement of the valve body to fix the shift flare

3.b. Cars after 07/2006 will REQUIRE a replacement transmission to fix the shift flare

[b]P.S.S. I have a CLAMry with the same engine/tranny package as the ES 350, take this FWIW, I'm talking with Toyota boys, not Lexus boys.
Yes, those dates don't make much sense, unless they attempted to make a change to the transmission to address early problems and changed the wrong thing and made it worse.

Let's say the valve body was the problem all along (not consistant with user reports here, but let's go with it for a moment), but the Toyota engineers believed it was a different problem and made another change to the transmission, which prevented a valve body replacement from fixing the problem.
Old 12-21-06, 06:04 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnedator
Yes, those dates don't make much sense, unless they attempted to make a change to the transmission to address early problems and changed the wrong thing and made it worse.

Let's say the valve body was the problem all along (not consistant with user reports here, but let's go with it for a moment), but the Toyota engineers believed it was a different problem and made another change to the transmission, which prevented a valve body replacement from fixing the problem.
You've just cited another point of my confusion... I will confirm in detail tomorrow AM.
Old 12-21-06, 06:08 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

FELLAS!

ons, please update us when you find out for sure. In my view the way the original Lexus TSIB was written it did seem all cars were prone to this happening, not that all would but the potential was certainly there for many of them directly indicated by the context of the TSIB.

And good you did not light your own on fire.
Old 12-21-06, 07:14 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

FELLAS!

Interesting!
Thanks for the update.
We're inching closer to the answer.
One question pops into my mind though.
Why are cars that have their transmissions replaced, still eventually having the flare again? (just thinking out loud LOL )
Old 12-21-06, 09:06 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
ons, please update us when you find out for sure. In my view the way the original Lexus TSIB was written it did seem all cars were prone to this happening, not that all would but the potential was certainly there for many of them directly indicated by the context of the TSIB.

And good you did not light your own on fire.
The reference to fire is that mine is a 9/2006 build... A good two months into the 3.b. category.

I was a little quiet on my last experience because of all the other things going on with kids/holidays. The reason I said anything now about this is it sounds honest, straight-forward, and specifically targets the problem. I WILL confirm.

But, the downer... I bought a new car, not a rebuilt used car... Not saying I haven't used my car per se, but rather anything "used" is my own personal patina. Now I have a car with a MAJOR repair and if I don't get it done, I have a car with a faulty transmission.

FWIW - mrshyvley, I haven't said anything to the CLAMry guys yet cause they're too brand-blind, chill till I got more. But I'd venture to say, there's a model variant transmission (type A or B thing) under this revision to the TSB.
Old 12-22-06, 05:27 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

The reference to fire is that mine is a 9/2006 build... A good two months into the 3.b. category.

LOL Ons...,

Mine is an 09/06 build month too and it has the flare along with something else my former ES350, which was an 06/06 build month, did not do at all which is hesitation, so I'm thinking they had changed something in these transmissions that has made them slightly worse when they act up and if I were to bet, I'd bet your voicemails you got are correct as you transcribed but anxiously await your update.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem By Build Date