ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Low Speed/Low RPM 'Flair' - *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 02:04 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRI H2O
I stop the car at the stop sign then drive off, but a heavy on the gas until the car is doing about 3000 rpm in 3rd at which time I let of the gas (about 10 seconds. The car then rolls to a stop at the next stop sign. Then I head out on the highway and no matter how hard I floor it the 3-4 shift is smooth without the flare.

If I just drive normal (without punching the throttle) from the first stop sign taking it easy, then when I head out on to the highway I always get the 3-4 flare (higher rpm flare with heavier acceleration).

I know we shouldn't have to drive a specific way to avoid the flare, but the fact it is possible indicate, to me, a programming error in the tranny logic controller.
OK, that makes perfect sense now... I could probably do the same thing considering my typical starting commute, I'll try it.

It occured to me today that rather than fix the problem, I could try to convince the dealer to install remote start so I could fire the car up a few minutes before leaving in the morning.
Old 11-24-06, 02:30 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
OK, that makes perfect sense now... I could probably do the same thing considering my typical starting commute, I'll try it.

It occured to me today that rather than fix the problem, I could try to convince the dealer to install remote start so I could fire the car up a few minutes before leaving in the morning.

That's it, the solution, TSIB issued for remote start addition under warranty or we can all get our cars up to point of shift but back off for ten seconds, then apply gas again.
Old 11-24-06, 05:35 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

onsknht,

You almost have it. Think ENGINE WARMER. Using a variety of methods we have been pre-warming our ES350 engines for a week now. My neighbor and I experience the QUIET of a Lexus morning startup now. As hard as we try, there are NO rpm spikes with a pre-warmed ES350 engine here.

We also have opinions on what the rpm spike really is and one of its causes, But, expressing that would just lead to more hyperbole from certain posters on this forum.

I can now understand these anomolies starting in the colder climates.

Hint:
Attached Thumbnails Low Speed/Low RPM 'Flair' - *Video*-atf-temp.jpg  
Old 11-24-06, 06:26 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terryes
As hard as we try, there are NO rpm spikes with a pre-warmed ES350 engine here.

We also have opinions on what the rpm spike really is and one of its causes, But, expressing that would just lead to more hyperbole from certain posters on this forum.

I can now understand these anomolies starting in the colder climates.
Florida in mid summer is hardly a colder climate and yet the trans flare happens here and elsewhere for that matter in summer months not just Fall or Winter months and maybe the reason the TSIB actually instructs techs to cold soak the engine is because they are very aware that if you think warmed up engine before starting out on a drive it is going to be missed.

I have issues with Lexus, but messing this one up is not one of them, it is the reason they instruct that the car be COLD when started and not a slightly or totally warmed up car, whether the car is located in a colder climate area or not.

It is not news to Lexus that this happens from when the car is cold started and driven or that it does not as a rule when a car is warmed up, that seems to have been overlooked that they deserve credit for that observation or their detailed instructions to duplicate would not include the cold requirement. Allow anything time, even an impeded valve restricting fluid flow and it will allow more fluid present than otherwise would be if not waiting before starting out in the car. E.G., if it is only getting half the amount of fluid at 1 minute after start and you "think warm" and allow it another minute, it has the required amount it needs not to slip, that doesn't make it any less a mechanical problem though, just a time consuming way around a correctable mechanical problem.