ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: What was the result after your trans TSIB fix?
It worked! My trans now behaves perfectly.
5.56%
I'm still getting slippage between various gears. I haven't had my trans replaced - yet.
50.00%
The TSIB failed - I now have a new trans installed.
22.22%
The TSIB failed - I now have a new ES350 as a result.
0%
My dealer skipped the TSIB and went straight for a trans replacement.
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission TSIB repair results

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 11:32 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
I know exactly what you mean by driving with one eye on a tach, I'm used to it by now One thing to keep in mind, don't drive yourself crazy since it only happens (if it ever going in your case, and I hope it wont) in the first 5 min from the cold start.

Funny how you made a switch from TL. TL was my other choice for consideration when choosing ES. I liked ES comfort, luxury, performance, faster acceleration, softer ride, etc. Now, while driving GS350, its a huge step backward to stiff drive, loud acceleration, heavier car, rougher interior details and stiffer seats, but the handling is I have to wait till tomorrow to see what is a resolution with my ES350 problem (new tranny with the same cold start problem), and what choices I will be offered. I would like to stay with Lexus family, and I'm feeling very iffy about ES now so GS is the only logical step in here. The problem is it over my budget...

twister,

It would be my guess that the reason they are calling in the field tech is a formality, they will offer you something as a result, don't know what.
Old 11-14-06, 08:38 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Just subscribing to the thread. Sorry to hear about your continued problems Wanderer and Twister. This really concerns me. My car was in for an oil change yesterday and I asked my service advisor and the head tech about the ES350 issues. They have not had any complaints about wind noise, but they are very familiar with the transmission and diesel clatter issues. Apparently, the clatter issue is even more prevalent on the RX350.
Old 11-15-06, 04:29 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
Just subscribing to the thread. Sorry to hear about your continued problems Wanderer and Twister. This really concerns me. My car was in for an oil change yesterday and I asked my service advisor and the head tech about the ES350 issues. They have not had any complaints about wind noise, but they are very familiar with the transmission and diesel clatter issues. Apparently, the clatter issue is even more prevalent on the RX350.
e-man,

Those poor RX owners if it is indeed worse for them.

From my own experience though I don't know how it could be worse having driven quite a few ES350 and all to one degree or another had diesel engine knocking and tapping from sewing machine level to cannery works level. Several others have posted the same findings about experiencing multiple loaner ES350 engine noise as well.

All had wind noise as well. I do think those in large cities are not going to become aware of it until they get on a road trip as Richard posted about his awareness of it now after a 400 mile road trip. Up to 45 or 50mph you could not be aware of it as anything other than thinking it must be cross winds in a windy area until you experience only it on a road trip and realize the lesser speed noise is also involved.

The only one I ever drove that did not have the diesel engine noise was the cold started demonstrator at first dealer, but who knows, it could have had a valve job done on it and is the reason it is used as a demonstrator.
Old 11-16-06, 05:14 AM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped my car off on Monday for the 5000 mile check up. I left it overnight so they could check for the diesel noise and the flare, both of which happen to me every day.

First morning, they called and said they thought they saw it, and wanted to keep it another day. Yesterday, they called and said that they confirmed both problems.

They said they called the tech line about the diesel noise, which Lexus said was a known issue they are trying to resolve. They offered to let me take a Lexus rep out in the car to hear it (not sure what help that is).

They want to repair the flare with the TSIB. I told them explicitly that I didn't want to do it if there was any chance of making it worse, which they said wouldn’t happen. I asked them to call Lexus corporate to check if it may exasperate the issue. They are calling me this morning to discuss.

I knew there were problems with the car, but now that they have been confirmed, it just started registering with me. I never thought this type of thing would happen with a Lexus, and since I chose this car for "Lexus Quality", I'm incredibly disappointed. I can only hope they do right by me.
Old 11-16-06, 05:29 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gpension
Dropped my car off on Monday for the 5000 mile check up. I left it overnight so they could check for the diesel noise and the flare, both of which happen to me every day.

First morning, they called and said they thought they saw it, and wanted to keep it another day. Yesterday, they called and said that they confirmed both problems.

They said they called the tech line about the diesel noise, which Lexus said was a known issue they are trying to resolve. They offered to let me take a Lexus rep out in the car to hear it (not sure what help that is).

They want to repair the flare with the TSIB. I told them explicitly that I didn't want to do it if there was any chance of making it worse, which they said wouldn’t happen. I asked them to call Lexus corporate to check if it may exasperate the issue. They are calling me this morning to discuss.

I knew there were problems with the car, but now that they have been confirmed, it just started registering with me. I never thought this type of thing would happen with a Lexus, and since I chose this car for "Lexus Quality", I'm incredibly disappointed. I can only hope they do right by me.
gpension,

Sorry to know you have the two most annoying issues with this car but very happy for you that you have a dealer that does not BS you on your ES.

The lex rep they are talking about to ride with you is what happened to me and he said he heard nothing abnormal coming from the engine, but he waited till after the drive (it was present and how when he was in the car) and we were in the svc manager office to pull that lie on me.

I think the dealer does not want to be the one who attempts to hoodwink you it is supposedly normal so they will not do it to you and instead will let the lexus rep do it, IF that is what is going to happen. I think that is exactly what will happen as not one person with this has posted that they had their valves repaired or other engine work to remedy it. I was left with that choice of valve job to get rid of the knocking tapping diesel noise but the lexus rep instead pulled that BS on me and I was left with nothing and Lexus stuck me with that noise.
Old 11-16-06, 10:46 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

...They said they called the tech line about the diesel noise, which Lexus said was a known issue they are trying to resolve. They offered to let me take a Lexus rep out in the car to hear it (not sure what help that is).

They want to repair the flare with the TSIB. I told them explicitly that I didn't want to do it if there was any chance of making it worse, which they said wouldn’t happen. I asked them to call Lexus corporate to check if it may exasperate the issue. They are calling me this morning to discuss...
Really sorry to hear you have this issue gpension. If your dealer manages this correctly, this will be relatively painless for you - witness the experience by Twister here. Not only are they picking his vehicle up and dropping off loaners, they really seem to be on top of this whole situation, bypass the TSIB, and go straight for a satisfactory resolution.

I too was concerned about the TSIB not solving things which is why I started this poll. I still haven't voted as yet, as I don't have a resolution at this point. But you can see from the results to date what people here are really experiencing. Twister technically should have two votes now as well due to his case, so you can add a "1" to the poll somewhere.

I'd advise this: You're concerned the TSIB will make things worse. If Lexus says it won't exasperate the issue then get that in writing and confirm what will happen if it does make it worse. Do this before they do the TSIB. If you get good customer service, they'll do this for you. If they refuse and just say "you'll be OK, the TSIB works just fine" then you can take that as a not so good sign.

I remember back in April\May when the trans issues started. I thought I'd be OK and it wouldn't happen to me. You probably thought the same. When the TSIB came out I thought great - my vehicle can now be fixed! I was so hopeful that somehow I'd luck out here and things would be great. I was so wrong.
Old 11-16-06, 12:02 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Really sorry to hear you have this issue gpension. If your dealer manages this correctly, this will be relatively painless for you - witness the experience by Twister here. Not only are they picking his vehicle up and dropping off loaners, they really seem to be on top of this whole situation, bypass the TSIB, and go straight for a satisfactory resolution.

I too was concerned about the TSIB not solving things which is why I started this poll. I still haven't voted as yet, as I don't have a resolution at this point. But you can see from the results to date what people here are really experiencing. Twister technically should have two votes now as well due to his case, so you can add a "1" to the poll somewhere.

I'd advise this: You're concerned the TSIB will make things worse. If Lexus says it won't exasperate the issue then get that in writing and confirm what will happen if it does make it worse. Do this before they do the TSIB. If you get good customer service, they'll do this for you. If they refuse and just say "you'll be OK, the TSIB works just fine" then you can take that as a not so good sign.

I remember back in April\May when the trans issues started. I thought I'd be OK and it wouldn't happen to me. You probably thought the same. When the TSIB came out I thought great - my vehicle can now be fixed! I was so hopeful that somehow I'd luck out here and things would be great. I was so wrong.
Wanderer,

You can vote, the category where you had it and it failed so others will see the degree to which it simply does not work which is the data you were originally looking for.
Old 11-16-06, 07:31 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

OK, I finally voted for "TSIB didn't work, no trans replacement - yet" in the poll. For the record I have on 04/06 build. Trans started slipping at 2000kms, and I'm now at 15000kms. My experience with this is posted further up in this thread. The TSIB did make things worse. I haven't waited to get the TSIB installed - it only just became available here!

This is a great poll to show how the TSIB works\doesn't work. I encourage people to continue to vote on this.
Old 11-16-06, 07:38 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

OK, I finally voted for "TSIB didn't work, no trans replacement - yet" in the poll. For the record I have on 04/06 build. Trans started slipping at 2000kms, and I'm now at 15000kms. My experience with this is posted further up in this thread. The TSIB did make things worse. I haven't waited to get the TSIB installed - it only just became available here!

This is a great poll to show how the TSIB works\doesn't work. I encourage people to continue to vote on this.
My former was 06/06 build, but nowhere to vote when you traded the whole car...LOL

BTW: I'm glad I did trade it because I would not want go through the multiple trips to dealer for something I felt and knew wouldn't work anyway. I'll be setting up a psychic hotline soon as I have been saying that for a long time...j/k
Old 11-20-06, 08:27 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Quick update:
- Only one option is being offered to me: trans replacement. End of discussion.
- Lexus Canada considers the trans replacement just another part of the warranty.
- US options and actions are not available or applicable in Canada.
- Lexus Canada will not consider buyback. They advised this is too much depreciation for them.
- It's OK with them that I've already been in 5 times to the dealer for trans related issues. The 6th will be the trans replacement.

More soon.
Old 11-20-06, 08:57 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Here in US the buyback is only authorized after trans replacement and considering it failed as well...
Old 11-21-06, 02:37 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Quick update:
- Only one option is being offered to me: trans replacement. End of discussion.
- Lexus Canada considers the trans replacement just another part of the warranty.
- US options and actions are not available or applicable in Canada.
- Lexus Canada will not consider buyback. They advised this is too much depreciation for them.
- It's OK with them that I've already been in 5 times to the dealer for trans related issues. The 6th will be the trans replacement.

More soon.

Did they say what the next step would be if the replacment transmission fails? Will they just leave you stuck?

Shameful of Lexus. Whether Lexus Can or USA, it's still Lexus.
Old 11-24-06, 10:40 AM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on my TSIB situation

They installed the TSIB parts last week, after several VMs and conversations where they insisted that it would not make anything worse in my car. I picked the car up last Friday, and I have gone from experiencing flares once a day in the morning, to 3 or 4 times a day. They are also much more intense.

I discussed this with the service manager at my dealer, and he called me on Wednesday to let me know that Lexus advised him to replace the transmission.

We spoke today, and I let him know that I was very unhappy about the situation. I asked him what happens if the new transmission has the same problem, and he said Lexus will not discuss "what ifs". His opinion is that we would have needed to do this replacement eventually, based on the vin numer of my car. He also believes it has been "fixed" in the new transmissions, which appears not to be the case (and which I told him).

If I end up with a car that works as expected, I can live with it. I will speak with Lexus Corporate, but this whole thing has left me with a sour taste about Lexus and this dealer. I chose this car because I thought I was buying quality and customer service, and I feel like I received neither.

Whatever the resolution, this will certainly be my last Lexus.
Old 11-24-06, 10:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

They installed the TSIB parts last week, after several VMs and conversations where they insisted that it would not make anything worse in my car. I picked the car up last Friday, and I have gone from experiencing flares once a day in the morning, to 3 or 4 times a day. They are also much more intense.

I discussed this with the service manager at my dealer, and he called me on Wednesday to let me know that Lexus advised him to replace the transmission.

We spoke today, and I let him know that I was very unhappy about the situation. I asked him what happens if the new transmission has the same problem, and he said Lexus will not discuss "what ifs". His opinion is that we would have needed to do this replacement eventually, based on the vin numer of my car. He also believes it has been "fixed" in the new transmissions, which appears not to be the case (and which I told him).

If I end up with a car that works as expected, I can live with it. I will speak with Lexus Corporate, but this whole thing has left me with a sour taste about Lexus and this dealer. I chose this car because I thought I was buying quality and customer service, and I feel like I received neither.

Whatever the resolution, this will certainly be my last Lexus.
gpension,

Sorry to hear but kind of knew the TSIB would not work, let's hope for you a new trans does.

I am curious where you are on the issue of the engine noise?
Old 11-24-06, 11:30 AM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

At this point, if I can drive my car without a shift flare, I'll consider myself lucky. The engine noise, while annoying, doesn't seem like it's doing any damage.

Quick Reply: Transmission TSIB repair results