ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: What was the result after your trans TSIB fix?
It worked! My trans now behaves perfectly.
5.56%
I'm still getting slippage between various gears. I haven't had my trans replaced - yet.
50.00%
The TSIB failed - I now have a new trans installed.
22.22%
The TSIB failed - I now have a new ES350 as a result.
0%
My dealer skipped the TSIB and went straight for a trans replacement.
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission TSIB repair results

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 04:45 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlawler
Hey I have a question that I cant figure out, if there is an a, b, and c version of the tranny and the "c" isnt availible yet or just became availible how do we explain the fact that some of us dont have this problem. This leads me to one thing since Im an IT/Software guy, this very much appears (no data to prove it ) like a software problem and not a hardware issue.

I know this has been floated before.

Again mine is a 10/06 build. It would be cool if we could get the software and compare the different versions or even do a Differential check to see if there are any variances.
I think everything is build with certain tolerances. Not all vehicles have the problems listed on the ES350 forum, but many do. Some have multiple problems (me included!), others have only one or two, some none. So obviously the quality control is hit and miss on multiple levels.

Luckily (unluckily) I have a problem trans. Not all trans have problems and I believe that as I've driven 4 ES350 vehicles and they're ALL a little different to each other on trans\engine noise\vibration\wind noise, etc. They should all have behaved the same, but they didn't. Other members have reported similar experiences.

So I believe there are good trans, and this is reflected in the poll that shows that only around 26% of CL voters have the problem. The fact that my first trans was fine until around 2000kms, and the second trans was OK until 200kms shows that 'something' isn't right in the trans. In my case it took some time to surface, others probably had it right from the very beginning. Some flare more than others. Tolerances
Old 12-26-06, 05:26 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanderer99, good point. Where are the ES's built? Any geo political or work force related issues there that could tie into this? Probably not, but it has happened before...
Old 12-26-06, 06:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlawler
Wanderer99, good point. Where are the ES's built? Any geo political or work force related issues there that could tie into this? Probably not, but it has happened before...
Good question. They're all made in Japan. It would be interesting to know if there's any labor or politcal unrest going on over there.
Old 12-26-06, 06:41 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good question. They're all made in Japan. It would be interesting to know if there's any labor or politcal unrest going on over there.
The ES is made in Japan, however I wonder how the trannys are sourced. Does Toyota in fact make all of the trannys and parts. I suspect the outsource quite a bit. As far as I know, they build cars, not parts.

The reason I say this is because the tranny issue appears random.
Old 12-26-06, 06:42 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Highly unlikely! From my understanding about Japanese auto workers they are the happiest, most contented workers in the world.....especially in Lexus Corporation.
Old 12-26-06, 07:27 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AH we have an office over there, I dont think thats the case, it is percieved rather than real...

but interesting comment above, were are all the tranny parts sourced from, most Japanese auto makers do outsource parts manufacturing to other Rim-PAC nations, and I have been told (no proof) that they may have multiple vendors for the same part, could be total BS also...
Old 12-26-06, 08:42 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
The ES is made in Japan, however I wonder how the trannys are sourced. Does Toyota in fact make all of the trannys and parts. I suspect the outsource quite a bit. As far as I know, they build cars, not parts.

The reason I say this is because the tranny issue appears random.
I think it has been posted in this forum that the trans was from an American supplier, and if I remember correctly this info came from the Camry perspective which is the same as the ES. I believe this was the original trans, and who know what has happened between the apparent a-b-c versions of the trans and where things are now manufactured.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong here though
Old 12-27-06, 07:39 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I think it has been posted in this forum that the trans was from an American supplier, and if I remember correctly this info came from the Camry perspective which is the same as the ES. I believe this was the original trans, and who know what has happened between the apparent a-b-c versions of the trans and where things are now manufactured.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong here though
This doesn't sound very logical! A car that was designed and built in Japan, using a transmission that was manufactured in the U.S., and then sent back to Japan to be installed in the ES. I don't think so.
Old 12-28-06, 09:07 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
This doesn't sound very logical! A car that was designed and built in Japan, using a transmission that was manufactured in the U.S., and then sent back to Japan to be installed in the ES. I don't think so.
I am not sure, however it is possible. Ford used to make Nissan dashes. ZF made transmissions for BMW.
Old 12-28-06, 06:42 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Default Those 160 trans

I believe the American supplier were talking about was located in New York and they were the ones that made those 160 bad trans for the Camry car. As I recall camry was having the there trans supplied here in the US and Lexus was making them in Japan at the same time. After a while all this trans stuff starts to run together.
Old 12-29-06, 01:53 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pardon my ignorance

is this trans spike bad for the engine? dangerous for driving? or just a nuisance?
Old 12-29-06, 04:39 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pardon my ignorance

is this trans spike bad for the engine? dangerous for driving? or just a nuisance?
Doubtful that its bad for the engine, although it's an unknown if it affects durability of the tranny. To me it's just a minor nuisance so I'm willing to wait awhile and see if Toyota can come up with the final fix, but to others it's a rediculous flaw in the car and I don't blame them. If the flair was deemed a safety issue then this whole thing could turn into a recall.
Old 12-29-06, 07:40 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amf1932
Having one supplier, or putting all you're eggs in one basket so to speak, is asking for angry customers. Especially if you're going to market on a global scale and even more so when you're in direct competition with other manufacturers of the same product.

When Toyota first started making cars in the US, they continued to import the major assemblies, like engines and transmissions... The parts content sticker on my car was 75% USA and 25% JPN. Clearly things like starters, spark plugs, alternators etc. are made and assembled in JPN by Denso... But Toyota also has JOINT control over some manufacturing with companies like GM, the 4.7 V8 is poured at the same plant as the Vortec 5.3. The axles on my Sequoia are made by Dana and I used to have a Toyota Truck (aka HiLux) that actually had GM stampings on some parts.

It's futile to try and determine where exactly everything was built. But I highly doubt parts are being shipped back and forth only to cost more in duties for import/export.

While I can't confirm 100%, I believe my transmission was assembled in JPN. I can't see an American worker going around with conji-QC stamps as I've found on my transmission case... It may be hard to see, but there's a blue stamp clearly of Japanese origin in the pic below.

That's not to say Japanese QC'd parts weren't shipped to the US and then assembled... But I gotta believe something like transmission assembly is going to be a lot more involved for outsourcing than it would be to make part "x" for the transmission. In other words, Toyota probably controls all assembly of the transmissions be it in the US or JPN, but there are probably multiple suppliers for the components of the transmission.

Old 12-29-06, 07:49 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BillP
Doubtful that its bad for the engine, although it's an unknown if it affects durability of the tranny. To me it's just a minor nuisance so I'm willing to wait awhile and see if Toyota can come up with the final fix, but to others it's a rediculous flaw in the car and I don't blame them. If the flair was deemed a safety issue then this whole thing could turn into a recall.
I would agree, there should be no effect on the engine as it's no different than revving the engine in nuetral.

However, slipping is not good for transmissions... Problem we all have, nobody can check the quality of their transmission fluid because there's no dipstick!

FWIW - My guy said there will be a long term effect as a result of the flair, he said the long term issue will be noticed around 30K when the trans fluid is due to be replaced... He's expecting to see a lot of gray/brown transmission fluid, the cars that have had replacements (trans/valve body) were cooking the fluid pretty well.

Finally... A week has gone by, my transmission has yet to surface, they called and said it may be a few weeks... Sounds to me like something is coming from Japan.
Old 12-29-06, 10:42 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Hmmm - I wonder if it's a delayed Santa-trans?