ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Torn between UL and Premium

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 07:39 PM
SDLS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between UL and Premium

I really like the looks and features of the UL package, but I can't get past the fact it cost over $2k over a premium and because UL packages are rare it seems dealers are not willing to lower the price that much. I think the main thing I would miss is the ML sound system. I haven't heard it on the ES so I'm not sure how much better it is than the premium sound system. I thought I might use the DVD over ride on the ES, but now I hear Lexus defeated this over ride with a new software revision. My question is, you think I'm missing much by not going UL?

Sam
Old 10-15-06, 09:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you mean Premium Plus and UL?

The ML isn't included in the UL. The main features of the UL are the buttery soft semi-aniline leather, panoramic moonroof and HIDs with dual-swivel adaptive headlights. I would say those are worth the upgrades.
Old 10-15-06, 09:42 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know one person on this board who regrets buying their UL version. And there is a lot of us.
Old 10-15-06, 10:16 PM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by SDLS430
I really like the looks and features of the UL package, but I can't get past the fact it cost over $2k over a premium and because UL packages are rare it seems dealers are not willing to lower the price that much. I think the main thing I would miss is the ML sound system. I haven't heard it on the ES so I'm not sure how much better it is than the premium sound system. I thought I might use the DVD over ride on the ES, but now I hear Lexus defeated this over ride with a new software revision. My question is, you think I'm missing much by not going UL?

Sam
When I bought my UL ES350, ML audio system was on bottom of my list. Now, I can say it is the only feature which I have used and enjoyed the most. I had the same issue that you have now. I thought ML and panoramic glass roof are not worth few thousand dollars more. In my opinion, If you can afford it go for UL. Some people have been able to get 2-4k off MSRP. You can read about prices people have paid in this forum and Edmunds.com. I got my UL $3500 off MSRP just 2 weeks after ES350 came to market. The dealer had to order it because they didnt have the color that I wanted. Dealers will lower the price if you can negotiate with them. They are after your money.
Old 10-15-06, 10:34 PM
SDLS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by savon
When I bought my UL ES350, ML audio system was on bottom of my list. Now, I can say it is the only feature which I have used and enjoyed the most. I had the same issue that you have now. I thought ML and panoramic glass roof are not worth few thousand dollars more. In my opinion, If you can afford it go for UL. Some people have been able to get 2-4k off MSRP. You can read about prices people have paid in this forum and Edmunds.com. I got my UL $3500 off MSRP just 2 weeks after ES350 came to market. The dealer had to order it because they didnt have the color that I wanted. Dealers will lower the price if you can negotiate with them. They are after your money.
I got quoted from a dealer that I usually get good prices, but they aren't budging more than $2K off msrp. I guess I will go back to a broker I know as a plan "b" and see what he can offer.

Sam
Old 10-15-06, 10:57 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i am the only person I know of who got a Premium Plus, didn't like it, and exchanged it for a UL. This happened 3 months ago, and there was a long thread about it. The reasons for the exchange were 1) color 2) package. I took a big hit for my stupid mistake, but looking back now i am glad I have the UL.

Because I have owned both PP+ and UL, I can make the comparison. The UL leather is a bit softer indeed, but you won't notice it that much unless you are totally into leather stuff. The ML sound system is richer, and it takes several hours of playing before the speakers get worked in and the sound gets really good. The DVD video is a nice touch for when you are killing time. The panaroma roof is really worth the price because the rear passengers get extra light and the way the glass roof opens its very high tech. The HD light is useful and so is the sunshade, both of which were missing in my PP+. Plus the 10-spoke UL wheels are kinda cool too. I believe the thigh support extender is UL-exclusive as well. Really worth considering.
Old 10-15-06, 11:12 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SDLS430
I got quoted from a dealer that I usually get good prices, but they aren't budging more than $2K off msrp. I guess I will go back to a broker I know as a plan "b" and see what he can offer.

Sam
Shoot for min $750 over invoice. You might even be able to pull off $500 over at some dealerships. What part of CA are you shopping? If you are in LA/OC, PM me and I can direct you to my salesperson.
Old 10-16-06, 05:34 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
The HD light is useful and so is the sunshade, both of which were missing in my PP+. Plus the 10-spoke UL wheels are kinda cool too. I believe the thigh support extender is UL-exclusive as well. Really worth considering.
My PP+ has the HD lights, sunshade, and the thigh support extender.

It sounds like those who have the UL don't regret their choices, so if you're considering it and the extra money isn't a financial disaster for you then you should go for it. It's far better than thinking, "I wish I had..." a year or two down the road.

After saying that, let me add that I'm quite happy with my PP+ and don't regret my choice at all. But then I never considered the UL when shopping.
Old 10-16-06, 05:34 AM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

I believe the thigh support extender is UL-exclusive as well.
My PP has that.
Old 10-16-06, 06:31 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are HD lights?
Old 10-16-06, 08:08 AM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by amf1932
What are HD lights?
Actually we should say "HID", for High Intensity Discharge (halogen) headlights. They're also a part of the AFS (Adaptive Front lighting System) whereby the headlights turn into corners to give longer views of the upcoming road.
Old 10-16-06, 08:10 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
What are HD lights?
Humm Dinger
Old 10-16-06, 08:19 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

oh ok...i stand corrected. I guess my PP+ didnt have those things but they are available if you want them. I really dislike that sales rep who sold me the PP+. She kinda tricked me. I told her I wanted a PP+ and all its options for $37,500 out the door, and she said no. A week later, she called me saying that an MSM color is available with all my options and I can have it for $37,500. Being such a newbie car buyer, I jumped on the deal, later to realize several options were missing. Believe me, I was really ticked.
Old 10-16-06, 08:44 AM
dreyfus

oh ok...i stand corrected. I guess my PP+ didnt have those things but they are available if you want them. I really dislike that sales rep who sold me the PP+. She kinda tricked me. I told her I wanted a PP+ and all its options for $37,500 out the door, and she said no. A week later, she called me saying that an MSM color is available with all my options and I can have it for $37,500. Being such a newbie car buyer, I jumped on the deal, later to realize several options were missing. Believe me, I was really ticked.
I hate that you have to have such a suspicious and cynical attitude just to buy a car. But dishonest salespeople force us into these adversarial roles. It should be a partnership where both parties are working to get the buyer the car they want at a price that is fair to both buyer and dealer. Instead it's often a race to see who can rip off who and squeeze out the last dollar from a deal. I wish Lexus was different.

Oh, well. In a perfect world...
Old 10-16-06, 09:45 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I hate that you have to have such a suspicious and cynical attitude just to buy a car. But dishonest salespeople force us into these adversarial roles. It should be a partnership where both parties are working to get the buyer the car they want at a price that is fair to both buyer and dealer. Instead it's often a race to see who can rip off who and squeeze out the last dollar from a deal. I wish Lexus was different.

Oh, well. In a perfect world...
I have one word for you:

SATURN

Now if they could just learn how to build a car like a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Torn between UL and Premium