ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wind Noise - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 03:04 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK
I'm curious about what I'm seeing on page 336, chapter 5.1, Essential information if your vehicle needs to be towed....using a flat truck.

The graphic shows where to hook the tie-down chains on the underside. The holes look very familiar to those holes that are supposed to have the famous plugs in them.

Since my car hasn't arrived yet, I can't look under it. What do you guys think?
oak,

I have my car and I have looked under there though it is getting dark and it appears the tow holes in manual illustration are drawn as though they are the smaller round plugs up front by the front tires but the illustration is very confusing if they are the areas for tie down as I haven't seen smaller round ones by rear tires.

I'll check in am in better light and report back. See the drawing showing it up on flat bed and triangle shape to ties, in front tire area that would be smaller round plugs but have no idea what rear tie down is.
Old 11-09-06, 12:00 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
oak,

I have my car and I have looked under there though it is getting dark and it appears the tow holes in manual illustration are drawn as though they are the smaller round plugs up front by the front tires but the illustration is very confusing if they are the areas for tie down as I haven't seen smaller round ones by rear tires.

I'll check in am in better light and report back. See the drawing showing it up on flat bed and triangle shape to ties, in front tire area that would be smaller round plugs but have no idea what rear tie down is.
Oak,

The first drawing of underside of car has you think the holes are the larger plugs I have been saying are put in upside down and those may be the attachment points for towing.

The second drawing of the vehicle on the flat bed truck has you thinking it is the smaller plugs, AND, there are two of those adjacent to each other right near front wheels and believe it or not there is one small plug near rear tires which I did not know was there.

So, 2 smaller by front tires, then 2 larger along length of car sort of mid door width and 1 near rear tire, and this is true both sides of car.

The 2 smaller near front and the 1 smaller near rear tire are put in writing side up into hole and those 2 larger ones are put in "upside" down with writing side facing down to driveway not facing up inside hole.

On passenger side nearer rear wheels on a flat metal panel I also noticed two small holes, 1/4 inch diameter with no plugging material of any kind in them and don't know if they should or should not have anything plugging them.
Old 11-11-06, 09:15 AM
brio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 460 has same mirrors as ES350

To try and solve my wind noise problem, I've been noticing mirrors and window seals on many types of cars. The only other car I have found that has the mirrors mounted to the door and not to the window frame aside from the ES350 is the LS 460. I have to assume that the mirror design and placement is not the offender regarding the wind noise problem, if it's also used on the LS460. I am looking forward to seeing how the quality of window and door seals on the LS460 compare to the ES350. I'm sure the side window glass on the LS460 is thicker.
Old 11-11-06, 09:40 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I'm almost positive now that having those plugs installed has cured the wind noise that seemed to come from inside the A pillars.

I originally thought the lower speed wind noise was coming from my mirrors as well. The shims did a good job of fixing that and I no longer have any real wind noise coming from the front of my window. In my case, it wasn't my mirrors that were the problem, even though I thought they were the issue back in the early days. I was sure it was the mirrors. I was wrong.

Brio - what speed does your wind noise start at?

I'm sure the LS seals like a vault. Its one of those things the LS is known for.
Old 03-17-14, 10:30 AM
itsmeyar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wanderer99
These plugs are located just behind the front tires on the ES350.

Drivers side

Passenger side

As you can see, I'm missing two plugs. The plugs that are there seem to fit fine, and have this portion that sticks up and into the car - its not a flat surface. Is this the correct mounting from those that have seen theirs?
Anybody know the part number for the round plug in this picture? I have couple of them missing from my 2007 ES 350. I found the part number for the owal one, it is 90950-01259, but could not locate the round one.
Old 03-17-14, 09:40 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Remove one of your existing plugs.......you should find the embossed part number (or numbers) on it somewhere, I believe. Take it with you to a dealer. It's got to be in the Parts Catalogue/parts list somewhere.
Old 03-18-14, 10:19 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...000/570768.jpg

compare the old one to this group of plugs
Old 08-21-14, 02:31 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Just noticed I'm missing both front round plugs so I don't have anything to compare to the sewell image link. Can anyone share the part number?

Edit:

Update 8/31

After unsuccessfully trying to get the parts from local dealers, I finally used rough measurements of the front round holes and ordered 2 hole plugs that appeared close/right from Sewell. Local dealers said all they had was that same page of pictures and no explanation of which plug went where. Plus, they would have to order. Sewell with CL discount was cheaper by about half, but a slight shipping delay and the shipping costs sort of took away from the cheaper price. But, they arrived quickly.

I had the front round plug narrowed down to 2 plugs. One that appeared to match my rough measurement and another that by the measurements was larger but by the picture looked like the circumference of the neck of the plug might be the right size. Turned out the measurement match is the right one. And it's the same one mentioned in the GS forum by SeattleGS400 and 3dog: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-window-4.html

The correct round plug for the front is 90950-01959. Same as GS models.

The small round rubber plugs embossed with the number 15 on the frame rails are 90950-01518.

Last edited by BC93; 08-31-14 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Determined correct part numbers