ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

S Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 06:33 AM
Mosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Mode?

Can someone give me a detailed description of what the “S” mode does and what it is supposed to be used for? I’ve searched this forum and done some looking around elsewhere and haven’t found a definitive answer.

Thanks
Old 09-26-06, 08:05 AM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

It's a "manumatic" system, which is really common on automatics nowadays. It's like using a manual transmission without the clutch--you just press up or down to change gears. So, you can leave it revving in second gear when the automatic transmission would normally have upshifted. It won't let you do anything stupid, though, like using too low of a gear and revving past the redline or using too high of a gear and stalling the car.

If you're like most people, you'll play with it once or twice, and then never use it again. Mostly it's in place so people who consider themselves sporty drivers can feel okay about getting an automatic transmission. There are uses for it, like if you know you're about to pass someone, you can downshift into a lower gear to get maximum acceleration without waiting the split second for the automatic to downshift. Realistically, though, if you don't use it everday, you probably won't have a good enough feel for the engine and transmission to be able to use it effectively. Plus, the ES does its best to hide engine vibrations and revs from you, making it that much harder to use it effectively.
Old 09-26-06, 08:53 AM
Mosh
Driver School Candidate

Default S Mode?

Carbsumer,

First off, thank you for your reply. However I’m not entirely convinced. Why, at a dead stop, would shifting it from D to S show that it is in gear 4? If what you are saying were correct, it would seem that it would be in gear 1. I’ve read elsewhere that it is a gear limiter so that the transmission won’t go beyond the displayed gear. This seems like a fairly important feature which is why I’m surprised I can’t find any more information on it.
Can anybody else weigh I on this topic?
Old 09-26-06, 09:08 AM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, according to my recollection from the manual, it always starts in 4 or 5. You're also right that it basically is a gear limiter; like I mentioned, the transmission will downshift to prevent you from stalling.
Old 09-26-06, 10:09 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

If you put it in 6 for S-mode, it will behave exactly like D-mode. It's a gear limiter that is perfect for upslope driving. Just keep it in 3 and you're good to go. The engine braking helps prevent you from going too fast downhill and also saves your brakes. I put it in 1 to go up my driveway.... it's a nice feature.
Old 09-26-06, 10:33 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carbsumer
It's a "manumatic" system, which is really common on automatics nowadays. It's like using a manual transmission without the clutch--you just press up or down to change gears. So, you can leave it revving in second gear when the automatic transmission would normally have upshifted. It won't let you do anything stupid, though, like using too low of a gear and revving past the redline or using too high of a gear and stalling the car.

If you're like most people, you'll play with it once or twice, and then never use it again. Mostly it's in place so people who consider themselves sporty drivers can feel okay about getting an automatic transmission. There are uses for it, like if you know you're about to pass someone, you can downshift into a lower gear to get maximum acceleration without waiting the split second for the automatic to downshift. Realistically, though, if you don't use it everday, you probably won't have a good enough feel for the engine and transmission to be able to use it effectively. Plus, the ES does its best to hide engine vibrations and revs from you, making it that much harder to use it effectively.
VERY well stated!

Another "gee whiz" feature (common to many manufacturers these days) included to mollify the faux sports car drivers who are too embarrased to say they bought a pure automatic.

As you say, most play with it once or twice and then never use it again.
Old 09-26-06, 12:15 PM
Mosh
Driver School Candidate

Default Clarification

Wait a minute, Carbsumer.
I’m certainly not trying to pick a fight here. I am genuinely trying to find out what this is all about. You stated two completely separate things. Your first post stated:
“It's like using a manual transmission without the clutch--you just press up or down to change gears.”
In your second post, you stated:
“You're also right that it basically is a gear limiter; like I mentioned…”
These are two completely separate concepts. One allows the driver to shift gears up and down at will and the other allows you to select a top gear that the can be used but does not allow the driver any control of what gear is actually being used at any one time.
I originally thought it was the “shift gears at will” function but my experience with using it leads me to think that the “gear limiter” is the correct answer.

Can either you or PsychDoc explain how it can be used to shift gears at will?
Old 09-26-06, 12:43 PM
ckon
Rookie

I use mine a lot for engine braking and I also have used all of my recent automatics the same way. I'm one of those who would much prefer a standard shift, but can't get one in any of my cars of choice anymore.

This is going to sound snippy and that's not at all what I want it to sound like, but could I recommend that you just go out and experiment with it? You can't hurt it cuz it won't let it do anything stupid.

Chances are that unless you're an old standard shift driver you won't find a lot of use for it, but after playing around with it for a while, at least you'll understand what it does.
Old 09-26-06, 12:57 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckon
I use mine a lot for engine braking and I also have used all of my recent automatics the same way.
That is pretty much how I use it too. Long downhill mountain roads. It takes the tranny out of overdrive and holds the speed closer to 65. I've tried it on some frequently used roads. Without it my speed can quickly get up to 80 going down this particular stretch of road.
Old 09-26-06, 01:03 PM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mosh
Yeah, the comparison to a manual transmission was too simplistic--I thought you had no idea what it did. It's only similar to a manual transmission in that you can use it to manually downshift or hold a lower gear longer than the automatic normally would.
Old 09-26-06, 02:08 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mosh
I’m certainly not trying to pick a fight here. I am genuinely trying to find out what this is all about. You stated two completely separate things. Your first post stated:
“It's like using a manual transmission without the clutch--you just press up or down to change gears.”
In your second post, you stated:
“You're also right that it basically is a gear limiter; like I mentioned…”
These are two completely separate concepts. One allows the driver to shift gears up and down at will and the other allows you to select a top gear that the can be used but does not allow the driver any control of what gear is actually being used at any one time.
I originally thought it was the “shift gears at will” function but my experience with using it leads me to think that the “gear limiter” is the correct answer.

Can either you or PsychDoc explain how it can be used to shift gears at will?
You are right, it's nothing but a gear limiter.
Old 09-26-06, 05:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, unlike the IS, the ES manual mode will automatically upshift?
Old 09-26-06, 05:21 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree.

I use the S mode in city driving when I do not want the engine to go into a higher gear. This allows the operator to keep the revs in the power band in certain situations where it might be advantagous. Recall that max torque is developed at somewhere around 4,700 RPM. Sometimes I like to keep the RPMs up in traffic for making quick lane changes.
Old 09-27-06, 01:05 AM
Mr. M
Driver School Candidate

I notice a delay at gears shifting when using S Mode. how quick do you find the shifting between gears in your car ?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-06, 09:03 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally do not like the way this sport shifter is set up. On my previous Acura, if I was at a stop and put it in the sport mode, I was in 1st gear. If I moved it into sport gear at 70 mph, I went to 5th. On the 350, no matter what speed I am in, when I put it in sport mode, it goes to 4th. I liked the set up on my Acura better.

As you all said above, it seems to be a gear limiter more so than a sport shifter.

Quick Reply: S Mode?