ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 vs Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 11:33 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get them at MSRP now or even less. Don't buy his bs. Well, used prices have held up but for new cars, MSRP or less. Besides, you still have a 50% credit on 1st Oct onward.
Old 09-29-06, 03:06 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
You can get them at MSRP now or even less. Don't buy his bs. Well, used prices have held up but for new cars, MSRP or less. Besides, you still have a 50% credit on 1st Oct onward.
And even if he was just partially-BS'ing--heck, even at anywhere near that price for that car (say, $26K) I'd rather pay a few thousand dollars more and buy an '07 Camry Hybrid. Sure, the CH doesn't get better fuel economy than the Prius, but one would be really silly to be willing to pay $28K for a Prius with 25K miles (dunno what model year it is since it wasn't mentioned in the post but if it's more than one model year removed, then that price for that car is a complete ripoff--I don't care how highly touted the Prius is) vs. $30K-ish for a brand-new '07 CH.

Actually, if I wasn't so attracted to all the nice extras that the ES 350 offers, I probably would have bought a fully-loaded CH instead...
Old 09-29-06, 03:13 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Oh Well......seeing all the solo Prius drivers zooming down the carpool lane while I sit and wait in nearby lane moving inch by inch during traffic hour makes me wonder if I should get one so I can join the fun.
I understand where you're coming from in that regard...if you can ignore the "danger" aspect, you could always buy a motorcycle; no, they don't get quite the fuel economy of a Prius (but some come very close) nor are their emissions cleaner than hybrid emissions, but unlike a Prius, a motorcycle can scoot by congested traffic even during non-carpool hours (in those states where it isn't illegal, and if done safely and prudently).

I know--motorcycles aren't practical for many folks for a variety of reasons...I was just trying to be a bit humorous here...
Old 09-30-06, 05:25 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mvallido
I guess it will take me a while to accept that an ES is a camry with a lot of upgrades or options. LOL! Unlike the other lexus models where you can tell that it is a LEXUS with or without the badge. In the dark or in the light...
much agreed ^^ll when i take my friends out in it they always comment on my car... i usually tell it its only an oversized Camry...=P
Old 01-15-12, 11:40 AM
Rob757
Driver School Candidate

even though this thread was from forever ago, i like the discussion. im a new owner of a ES350 and a new member to the site. what i would like to know is how similar the suspension is. i want coilovers on the ES for one to reduce the body roll and two to lower the car enough to get rid of the wheel gap. but obviously my problem is finding coilovers for the ES350. i have read and heard about the similarities about the cars but what i dont know is what model of camry has the same suspension as the ES350 or if the model even matters. also if the head lights are any different?
Old 01-15-12, 03:13 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand if an owner of ES350 wanted better handling, why didn't you opt for the IS250 or GS350? It's like modifying a Buick Century to make it handle better when there were better choices to make. The car was never intended to be anymore than a very comfortable mid sized luxury car over and above the Camry. I drove the IS250 a few times and they are a much better platform to modify. Sure, my 2011 takes a corner like the cartoon cars but it was purchased for the ride, comfort and quietness. Just my opinion, please do not take offense. Your car, you can do what you want but it seems you want to make the car into something that it was not born to do. By the way, I still miss my 2007 Impala SS over my 2011 Impala LTZ.
Old 01-15-12, 03:27 PM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

A toyota is a toyota, a Lexus is a toyota with a more $$$ added to the price Tag.That's it.The Es is basically a camry from underneath the shell. The engine is the same as well,but it's a Lexus.Paperwork says it, the dealer says it, and the L on the car makes the statement. If you are comparing value buy a camry and be done with it.
Old 01-15-12, 03:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
I don't understand if an owner of ES350 wanted better handling, why didn't you opt for the IS250 or GS350? It's like modifying a Buick Century to make it handle better when there were better choices to make. The car was never intended to be anymore than a very comfortable mid sized luxury car over and above the Camry. I drove the IS250 a few times and they are a much better platform to modify. Sure, my 2011 takes a corner like the cartoon cars but it was purchased for the ride, comfort and quietness. Just my opinion, please do not take offense. Your car, you can do what you want but it seems you want to make the car into something that it was not born to do. By the way, I still miss my 2007 Impala SS over my 2011 Impala LTZ.
I agree. If its handling you're after there are a lot of other choices out there. In addition to the IS 250 and 350, G37, Acura TL, Maxima, etc. A test drive and some research will point you in the right direction if the ES isn't for you.
Old 01-15-12, 08:33 PM
Rob757
Driver School Candidate

my intention is not to make the ES350 a race car by any means, i understand there are better platforms out there to modify however the ES350 is what i wanted and what i got. my intention is to get rid of the wheel gap im a very attention to detail kinda guy and the wheel gap drives me nuts. my reason for coilovers is cuz it is a lexus and it deserves the best. if lowering the car is all i wanted to do then i wouldn't put as much time and effort into the research, i'd just chop the springs and be done with it however it is a lexus and im going to put the money and time into the car and make it my own. as far as getting rid of the body roll, its a secondary gain. i don't intend on taking 100+ mph turns so i don't think ill have a problem. wheel gap has to go!
Old 01-15-12, 10:33 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to chop the spring Rob, they do have options out there for you. I believe there was a post in the past from a user who used the coils for an 07-11 Camry in the ES successfully. If you're worried about stiffness, you can usually custom order the spring rates from the vendor you purchase from. I'd recommend 6/4 as a good starting point. Don't count on it if you plan on slamming it like me. I find I have rubbing issues quite often haha
Old 01-16-12, 03:44 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do agree, there is a lot of wheel / tire gap in this car. I used to just put taller / wider tires on the stock wheels. Way back when, I had a '74 base Camaro that came with F78 X 14" bias ply tires tires. Installed a set of GR70 X 14" radials on the stock wheels and WOW, what a difference. Thought I was in race car the way the handling opened up.
Old 01-16-12, 04:00 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

this thread is stupid. Can't compare Camry to ES350, they are totally at different levels.
So what if it has similar feel to Camry? Interior build and quality of ES350 is night and day with Camry.
Old 01-16-12, 08:20 PM
Rob757
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
No need to chop the spring Rob, they do have options out there for you. I believe there was a post in the past from a user who used the coils for an 07-11 Camry in the ES successfully. If you're worried about stiffness, you can usually custom order the spring rates from the vendor you purchase from. I'd recommend 6/4 as a good starting point. Don't count on it if you plan on slamming it like me. I find I have rubbing issues quite often haha
totally agree on chopping springs, if i wanted a cheap way out i would have bought a cheap car. im looking into some coilovers from Megan's that are adjustable too, should be just what i need.
Old 01-17-12, 09:33 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob757
totally agree on chopping springs, if i wanted a cheap way out i would have bought a cheap car. im looking into some coilovers from Megan's that are adjustable too, should be just what i need.
You'll enjoy Megan or BC Racing. The Megan guys I've met and they're pretty chill. The BC guys sent me 2 replacement parts from Taiwan in 2 days so their service is great as well
Old 01-18-12, 01:28 PM
Rob757
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
You'll enjoy Megan or BC Racing. The Megan guys I've met and they're pretty chill. The BC guys sent me 2 replacement parts from Taiwan in 2 days so their service is great as well
just put the Megan's on order today, hopefully will be hear by friday and ill repost once installed.

Quick Reply: ES350 vs Toyota Camry