ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Parking sensor beep and voice prompt volume not loud enough (for me)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 11:47 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking sensor beep and voice prompt volume not loud enough (for me)

Sorry if the following has been discussed previously, but I find it somewhat difficult to hear either the parking sensor beep or the voice prompt command voice (when you press the voice command button on the steering wheel) w/ the radio volume at moderate (e.g., 30 or more--yes, this is relative depending on the volume of the source material but I offer that value as a reference point) levels. Even w/ the parking sensor volume set at 6 (max) it is darn difficult to hear that beep if the radio volume level is moderately high (i.e., doesn't have to be at eardrum-bursting levels)...but at least the parking sensor volume can be adjusted--apparently there is no end-user setting that allows you to adjust the voice prompt command volume. And no--even with the adaptive volume control set, the radio volume does not lower or mute whenever the voice command prompt or parking sensor alarm are activated.

IMHO I think it silly of them Lexus engineers to program the nav radio such that the adaptive volume control helps you hear the nav-related prompts easier, but not the voice command or parking sensor.
Old 09-21-06, 11:55 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My feelings exactly!
Old 09-21-06, 01:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Isn't there an option to turn off the voice prompt and have it just beep instead?
Old 09-21-06, 03:00 PM
Lyn06
Driver School Candidate

My teenage daughter set the voice command volume to the maximum level just the other day. She was playing around with the audio control buttons and came across the volume setting for voice command. I think it was set to 4 or 5 and can be set at 7. I told her to set it at the highest because I needed it to be louder. Heck if I can remember how she got there.
Old 09-21-06, 03:18 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I imagine the voice command volume works the same as the GX. I also find that even though the voice command volume is at its highest setting, when I have the audio system on at a normal level, it is very hard to understand the voice guidance for navigation. Lexus should look into this and adjust it so it can go much louder. They must think everyone drives with the audio system turned off.
Old 09-22-06, 02:59 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the LS, when the audio system is on, and the NAVI issues a voice instruction, the driver side music audio mutes during the guidance. I think you can toggle that on/off. Maybe the GX has such a feature?
Old 09-28-06, 02:26 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

It's been awhile but when I had my '05 Solara SLE V6 with nav, the volume for the nav system could be adjusted while the nav voice is speaking. I believe it is the same touch screen nav system as used in the Lexus. The screen looks exactly the same. At that time, you could pretty much make the voice as loud as you want. When the nav system is silent, the volume control only controls the audio system.

It is exactly the same on my Porsche PCM nav, my 2 Mercedes with Command nav systems and my BMW I-Drive nav. The volume control will go as loud as you want it to but can only be adjusted while the voice is speaking. The Porsche guys went the extra mile and put a "repeat" key on the keypad as well to make the process easier.
Old 09-28-06, 12:29 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
It's been awhile but when I had my '05 Solara SLE V6 with nav, the volume for the nav system could be adjusted while the nav voice is speaking. I believe it is the same touch screen nav system as used in the Lexus. The screen looks exactly the same. At that time, you could pretty much make the voice as loud as you want. When the nav system is silent, the volume control only controls the audio system.

It is exactly the same on my Porsche PCM nav, my 2 Mercedes with Command nav systems and my BMW I-Drive nav. The volume control will go as loud as you want it to but can only be adjusted while the voice is speaking. The Porsche guys went the extra mile and put a "repeat" key on the keypad as well to make the process easier.
I'm not talking about the voice specific to nav/route operation (the one that announces the directions, road names, etc.), but the one that speaks out phone book numbers/names and other commands/prompts that are not nav-specific (these are typically heard in response to a voice command that you give)--it is this voice whose volume I am unable to figure out how to adjust. To more clealy explain what I mean--press the voice-command button on the steering wheel of a ES 350; note the volume of the voice (IIRC when you press it, it says "Say a command" or something similar). Now try to find the function that adjusts the volume of this voice--I have yet been able to find it...if it even exists at all (short of perhaps going into the service menu or something). If the nav voice volume control (accessible in the nav menu) is supposed to control the volume of this voice as well...well I guess it must be malfunctioning in my car.
Old 09-29-06, 11:41 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I can't comment on the specific ES350 voice because I don't pick up my ES until tomorrow but on my 745Li, I have a similar voice for voice commands. It's separate from the nav voice and the audio system just like the ES350. On my 7 it's controlled the exact same way as the audio volume and the nav voice volume. When you hear the voice speaking, manually adjust the volume. You have to be quick because you can only adjust it while it is talking. Not sure if it will work for the ES but that's how it works on my 7.
Old 09-29-06, 02:15 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I can't comment on the specific ES350 voice because I don't pick up my ES until tomorrow but on my 745Li, I have a similar voice for voice commands. It's separate from the nav voice and the audio system just like the ES350. On my 7 it's controlled the exact same way as the audio volume and the nav voice volume. When you hear the voice speaking, manually adjust the volume. You have to be quick because you can only adjust it while it is talking. Not sure if it will work for the ES but that's how it works on my 7.
I wish this way of adjustment would be possible on my GX, but it can't go any higher than level 7. This is not loud enough when the audio system is turned on. If the audio system is turned off or is set very, very low, then the voice guidance can be understood.
Old 09-29-06, 03:14 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Oh I'm not doubting and/or disputing that it's possible on your 7...it's just that it's frustrating that on a car like the ES, Lexus somehow managed to overlook that.
Old 09-29-06, 04:33 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, if that doesn't work I guess I have one more disappointment to look forward to. I thought Lexus engineers racked their brains thinking about everything?!?!?!