ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Navigation Override

Old 09-16-06, 03:25 PM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Navigation Override

One of the most useful posts on this forum was the sequence that brings up a hidden menu that can override the navigation lockouts. This allows POI's to be accessed by the passenger while the car is in motion. However, I have been unable to locate that information in the threads. I thought it would be useful to have a thread that would allow newcomers to access the information. Please provide the link to the previous post or provide the information again.

Many thanks !!!
Old 09-16-06, 05:25 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Press the menu button.

Press the volume icon.

Press the upper left corner of the screen (no icon there).

Press the lower left corner of the screen (no icon here, either).

Repeat the last two screen presses.

In the "secret" menu screen that appears, select Over Ride.

This will disable the navigation lockouts until you turn the car off.
Old 09-16-06, 05:48 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted....

Last edited by jeffofla; 09-16-06 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 06:27 PM
ckon
Rookie

Lotsa good stuff here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=override

Some will work, some won't.
Old 09-17-06, 07:15 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Press the menu button.

Press the volume icon.

Press the upper left corner of the screen (no icon there).

Press the lower left corner of the screen (no icon here, either).

Repeat the last two screen presses.

In the "secret" menu screen that appears, select Over Ride.

This will disable the navigation lockouts until you turn the car off.

I tired this while rolling in traffic at about 15 mph and it locked me out of all NAV systems. Climate and audio still worked. Had to turn the car off to reset. So, I suggest only doing this while car is stopped.
Old 09-17-06, 07:25 AM
gappell
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I have printed the instructions so I will not forget. Tough getting old !!
Old 09-17-06, 11:59 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I tired this while rolling in traffic at about 15 mph and it locked me out of all NAV systems. Climate and audio still worked. Had to turn the car off to reset. So, I suggest only doing this while car is stopped.
This should not have happened. My unit continues to opperate normally after performing this function except you now input addresses, etc. while the vehicle is in motion. The reason for the override in this specific hack is so that you don't have to opperate it only while stopped. What you really suggest is not doing the override at all.
Old 09-17-06, 12:28 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

No, what I meant is that if you perform the override per the directions above while the car is moving, the lock out of all NAV and voice functions occur. If you do it while you are parked, the override works and all functions are available.

So, what I am trying to say is that if you do the HACK, do it while parked...not moving.
Old 09-17-06, 12:33 PM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by MD350
No, what I meant is that if you perform the override per the directions above while the car is moving, the lock out of all NAV and voice functions occur. If you do it while you are parked, the override works and all functions are available.

So, what I am trying to say is that if you do the HACK, do it while parked...not moving.
I usually perform the override while moving - no problem. Try it again.
Old 09-18-06, 02:04 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Isn't it Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-Start?

Oh the lexus is not related to Nintendo or Konami. My mistake.
Old 10-06-06, 02:22 PM
chaunceysf
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Nav override not working for me

I have tried this several times with my new ES350 (UL, Mark Levinson, all the bells and whistles) and nothing happens after I do the "Menu-Volume-UpperLeft-LowerLeft-UpperLeft-LowerLeft" sequence. No screen appears with the override button.

Is there something different between the various nav systems (UL Mark Levinson versus standard)??

I have tried it in all power modes (engine off, engine on, accessories on) and in park and while in gear (stopped and moving).
Old 10-06-06, 02:46 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I have UL and ML and it worked for me, just keep pushing the upper left and lower left corners until it shows up. You may need to continue up and down a few more times than noted above.
Old 10-06-06, 03:59 PM
sarge43
Driver

The limiting factor is the version of the NAV system firmware. Apparently the firmware was updated such that the more recent builds of the car have the version 6 as opposed to the version 5. (This is not the NAV generation version.) This workaround doesn't work on the systems running on the version 6 firmware.

I've seen this issue covered elsewhere on these forums (sorry I don't have time now to search for it) and a user who's technically savvy has been experimenting with using the updated NAV disc data that came on the disc with the updated firmware with the version 5 firmware to see if there are any functionality issues.
Old 10-06-06, 04:57 PM
chaunceysf
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Version 6.1 has shipped and the nav software hack doesn't work with it

Originally Posted by sarge43
The limiting factor is the version of the NAV system firmware. Apparently the firmware was updated such that the more recent builds of the car have the version 6 as opposed to the version 5. (This is not the NAV generation version.) This workaround doesn't work on the systems running on the version 6 firmware.

I've seen this issue covered elsewhere on these forums (sorry I don't have time now to search for it) and a user who's technically savvy has been experimenting with using the updated NAV disc data that came on the disc with the updated firmware with the version 5 firmware to see if there are any functionality issues.
Thanks, Sarge43. I checked out the other forums, and there are a lot of unhappy people who discovered the new version of the nav software has either closed this option off or re-located it to an as-yet undiscovered screen. If we find it, we can post it for those of us who got the latest (but maybe not greatest) upgrade of the nav system. Yes, I confirmed that my three-week-old ES does have version 6.1 running on the nav system.
Old 10-07-06, 08:45 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Isn't it Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-Start?

Oh the lexus is not related to Nintendo or Konami. My mistake.
Yes, doing so will give your NAV system 30 lives...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Override