ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Questions on Various Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 09:29 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Various Sensors

O.K., I feel stupid for asking this but I have gone over the entire car several times and I cannot figure out where the GPS antenna is for my navigation unit. I am looking for something that looks like the antenna used for sat radio but can't find one. At first I thought it was the unit to the right of my rear view mirror but the manual identifies that as the sensor for the rain sensing wipers. Now that I think of that, does anyone know how the rain sensing wipers work????

Lastly, there are some sensors behind the rear view mirror that the manual recommends not blocking because some features may not work. What are those sensors used for? I have a parking pass that is supposed to be clipped on the back of the rearview mirror but I don't because of what I read in the manual.

I have a prem plus with nav and parking assist.

Tim
Old 09-07-06, 12:07 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tstead
O.K., I feel stupid for asking this but I have gone over the entire car several times and I cannot figure out where the GPS antenna is for my navigation unit. I am looking for something that looks like the antenna used for sat radio but can't find one. At first I thought it was the unit to the right of my rear view mirror but the manual identifies that as the sensor for the rain sensing wipers. Now that I think of that, does anyone know how the rain sensing wipers work????

Lastly, there are some sensors behind the rear view mirror that the manual recommends not blocking because some features may not work. What are those sensors used for? I have a parking pass that is supposed to be clipped on the back of the rearview mirror but I don't because of what I read in the manual.

I have a prem plus with nav and parking assist.

Tim
IIRC the sensor on the rearview mirror is for the auto-headlight feature. There is another sensor below the mirror portion of the rearview mirror--that's for the auto-dimming mirror feature; I know you didn't ask about it but just in case you might have been wondering about what it was for...

Regarding the GPS antenna--I'm gonna guess that it's buried somewhere underneath the front dash; it's not as farfetched as it may sound--the antenna for the factory nav on my GMC SUV is located underneath the dash, which I reckon whose material is such that it doesn't adversely affect GPS signal penetration.
Old 09-07-06, 01:37 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The GPS antenna is located just under the dash to the right and a little rearward of the front center stereo speaker. Getting to it would be difficult (but not impossible).

The rain sensing wipers use the change in resistance of a current (due to water on the glass) sent through a special tape that is attached to the windshield under the large black sensor just to the right of the rear view mirror.