ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anyone used Urethane film to protect paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 04:44 PM
leolynn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used Urethane film to protect paint?

I'm waiting for my ES 350 in Smoky Granite Mica and black interior.... I've read a couple of comments about this paint being "soft" and showing scratches. Has anyone had their car front covered with this type of film? If so, do you think is is worth the cost at around $1,000? Thanks for you help?
Leolynn
Old 09-06-06, 04:51 PM
rkmah
Driver School Candidate

I have it, but I cannot say if it is worth it as I am not really looking for stuff to run into. Overspray, bugs, sap, etc. clean off real easy, so that part is great. At the $1k price you mentioned I think you better shop around.
Old 09-07-06, 03:00 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop my Lexus dealer uses only installed it on about 1/3rd of the hood so naturally my first rock hit above the film and damaged the paint in teh middle of the hood. The entire nose area is covered as well as the mirrors and I paid $795.00. As rkmah said, it makes it easier to clean off the bugs.
Old 09-07-06, 09:10 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

Just strip off the junk polish and wax that your dealer applied to the car and put on a real protectant like Zaino. I have 5 coats of Zaino on my car (which will last me almost a year) and bugs wipe off with a quick mist of quick detailng spray and a microfiber towel. As far as overspray, just use an automotive clay bar.
Old 09-07-06, 05:51 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3M clear bra on my car. Full front, hood, mirrors, headlights. I know others that have it and are happy wit it. Because my previous car had several stone chips, I feel very happy with my decision to purchase. Came with a 5 year warranty.

However, at a price of $1,000...SHOP AROUND!!
Old 09-07-06, 10:55 PM
UAL
Rookie

I have it on my GS, but didn't go through the dealership. All they do is sub it out to a local company and mark it up. Do a little searching and you'll find a better deal. Do be careful not to use price as a factor. I got caught up between 2 different companies (one being a sponsor here) and didn't go withthe other one due to scheduling. You should definitely look into Premiere here www.premiermobilegroup.com. Tell him Paul with the 650 and GS sent you. I'm more than happy with their work compared to the CL's sponsor.
Old 09-08-06, 04:37 PM
leolynn
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the tip......

Originally Posted by UAL
I have it on my GS, but didn't go through the dealership. All they do is sub it out to a local company and mark it up. Do a little searching and you'll find a better deal. Do be careful not to use price as a factor. I got caught up between 2 different companies (one being a sponsor here) and didn't go withthe other one due to scheduling. You should definitely look into Premiere here www.premiermobilegroup.com. Tell him Paul with the 650 and GS sent you. I'm more than happy with their work compared to the CL's sponsor.
UAL..... Thanks for letting me know about "premiermobilegroup". They will do the same job for $775 and are only about 45 minutes from where I live.
Old 09-09-06, 11:53 AM
ZaKapitan
Driver School Candidate

I did a little research into the 3M clearcoat cover. I like the idea, and I like what I'm hearing. I also have been doing a little shopping as to how much 3M sells the stuff for, and geez it's expensive. So expensive, that it really wouldn't make sense to put it onto the whole car.

However, you CAN buy an entire roll of this stuff, whic will cover your entire car twice, for about $900. If I can put it on myself and figure out how to make the seams invisible, I just might do the entire car, top to bottom, myself... I've got plenty of extra to mess up with, and the whole thing is removable anway!

I mean hey, the training these guys go through is 4 hours of video, and then they call themselves a professional installer. I don't have the laser cutting system to precut the film, but I DO have an exacto knife and two days of being careful

what can I say, I'm a DIY type of guy... and if it's been costing you guys $1000 to protect the front portion of the hood, That just makes it even easier to buy the roll and do it myself
Old 09-09-06, 01:36 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

Mine came pre-coated from the dealer with Xilion(?) clear coat. All of their cars get it, as my dealer says that w/ our sun and the softness of the paint they don't want chance the car not having the extra protection (especially if it sits on the lot for a long time.) & while its only been 4 mo. the paint still looks brand new w/o a single scuff or ding in the land of tourists .. *- )
Old 09-10-06, 07:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, a "little birdy" told me that cost on a 3M clear bra installed is $550. The rest is mark up.