ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 hands-free microphone quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 11:07 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES350 hands-free microphone quality

Just curious if anybody experiencing the same problem when using hands free Bluetooth connection and people on the other side complaining about choppy quality? I know that a microphone is located in the area where overhead lights are. And, I also found that when I have air blowing up, people I talk on the phone with complaining of excessive background noise. So, I usually direct the air down. But now, I'm also hearing complains that voice is breaking up and sometimes get too choppy. And now, its not my phone connection Of course, its something we cannot judge for ourselves, but rather have to rely on from others telling it. So, has anybody else experienced the same complains?
Old 09-06-06, 12:50 PM
Celibon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
Just curious if anybody experiencing the same problem when using hands free Bluetooth connection and people on the other side complaining about choppy quality? I know that a microphone is located in the area where overhead lights are. And, I also found that when I have air blowing up, people I talk on the phone with complaining of excessive background noise. So, I usually direct the air down. But now, I'm also hearing complains that voice is breaking up and sometimes get too choppy. And now, its not my phone connection Of course, its something we cannot judge for ourselves, but rather have to rely on from others telling it. So, has anybody else experienced the same complains?
I have not had such complaint yet. In the manual somewhere it states that if both parties speak at the same time, the voice could break up. Maybe that's what's happening to you?
Old 09-06-06, 12:51 PM
ckon
Rookie

(edited Out)
Old 09-06-06, 12:52 PM
ckon
Rookie

Mine works very well! It's my preferred way to make calls.
Old 09-06-06, 01:19 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

My wife calls me when she leaves from work each day. At that time of day the AC fan goes to high and I can not hear her well at all. Her voice is broken or it sounds like an echo chamber from a poor connection but as soon as she turns off the fan we get crystal clear communication.
Old 09-07-06, 10:55 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Same setup as in the IS and I've had similar issues. The phone connection itself is fine, occasionally I'll lose Bluetooth signal entirely... Sound is degraded by vents aimed up. Quality is generally good although my wife occasionally states she can't hear me... not that the volume isn't good, but that it's breaking up.

I was able to improve this by increasing the "send" setting in the bluetooth settings by +1...

If you have nav you access by holding "info" and going from off to on for the headlights 3 times....

Then select the "bluetooth/tel check" then "handsfree voice quality" then adjust the send level by one....
DO NOT change the "voice quality type" setting.

Holding DISP for 3 seconds should take you out of this menu, or restarting the car....
Old 09-07-06, 01:41 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My callers tell me that the sound quality is better than my speakerphone at home.
Old 09-07-06, 02:02 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Same setup as in the IS and I've had similar issues. The phone connection itself is fine, occasionally I'll lose Bluetooth signal entirely... Sound is degraded by vents aimed up. Quality is generally good although my wife occasionally states she can't hear me... not that the volume isn't good, but that it's breaking up.

I was able to improve this by increasing the "send" setting in the bluetooth settings by +1...

If you have nav you access by holding "info" and going from off to on for the headlights 3 times....
Don't have NAV, but thanks for a suggestion. I will bring this up at my 5k service. I'm sure a similar fix could be applied with a regular non-NAV setup. My wife also tells me that often after she says something, she has to wait a second for an "echo" to clear. It makes sense, there should be a delay between phone receiving your call and being transmitted over the stereo. I will have to test this out by switching places with my wife and making a call from outside. It looks like most of us not aware of any problems because we are on the inside of ES350
Old 09-08-06, 06:44 AM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1

Then select the "bluetooth/tel check" then "handsfree voice quality" then adjust the send level by one....
DO NOT change the "voice quality type" setting.

Holding DISP for 3 seconds should take you out of this menu, or restarting the car....
Thanx for the great info! At the risk of being greedy, could I get you to expound a little about some of the other options on that screen? I'll probably just screw something up if I go digging around in there without a little bit of guidance. Anyplace in particular that I should keep my nosy little self away from?

Last edited by ckon; 09-08-06 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-25-08, 03:06 PM
tommyp6
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know how to increase microphone sensitivity on an ES 350 WITHOUT NAV.

I talk loud and have my Treo 700wx cell phone at full level, but people I call still complain they cannot hear me. The heater/AC fan is turned off and windows are up, too.
Old 07-25-08, 03:24 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

If the climate control fan is anywhere higher than the second position, you're going to get choppiness. You have to manually set the fan speed to no higher than the second position when you're on the phone. After that, you just press "auto" and it goes back to fully automatic function.
Old 07-25-08, 03:56 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Luckily I have the nav...I turned mine up +1 because people couldn't hear me. Now it works fine.
Old 07-25-08, 10:58 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people never know I am in the car until I tell them...
Old 07-28-08, 03:58 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Sounds pretty crappy in our car. But most bluetooth sounds kinda crappy so we haven't complained since it's to be expected.
Old 08-05-08, 03:30 PM
ekkie
Driver School Candidate

Let me put it this way. I've been using Bluetooth for cellphone communication almost since Bluetooth headsets first became available (anyone remember the SonyEricsson T68 and original Jabra headset). I've since gone through about a half-dozen headsets, and I know when the other party has issues talking to me.

My Lexus is rock-solid when it comes to the on-board microphone. Once in a while, there is background noise if I'm in a noisy environment or if the A/C is at full blast, but otherwise, it's my preferred method of communication.

Quick Reply: ES350 hands-free microphone quality