Need Tint Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 10:41 AM
estreefidy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tint Advice Please

Hi all...

I have a Black on Black coming (someday...). Actually, I should take delivery at some point this week. One of the add-ons that I got as a part of my deal was tint. Given that it is black on black, I am wondering how much tint would look good. Anyone have the black on black with tint (or just black exterior with tint)? If so, I would be curious to get your feedback. I have seen some black cars with dark tint that don't look so good, but then I have seen others that look really good. I think it is the chrome around the doors that sets it off...

I have heard that 35% is a good percentage to consider - not too dark, not too light???

Thoughts?
Old 09-04-06, 11:39 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by estreefidy
Hi all...

I have a Black on Black coming (someday...). Actually, I should take delivery at some point this week. One of the add-ons that I got as a part of my deal was tint. Given that it is black on black, I am wondering how much tint would look good. Anyone have the black on black with tint (or just black exterior with tint)? If so, I would be curious to get your feedback. I have seen some black cars with dark tint that don't look so good, but then I have seen others that look really good. I think it is the chrome around the doors that sets it off...

I have heard that 35% is a good percentage to consider - not too dark, not too light???

Thoughts?
i might not have a black on black, but the 35% is very light and its bery see throughable during the day=no privacy. so i think you should go with little darker if not limo
Old 09-04-06, 06:42 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check pics of my TP w/black interior and 35% tint all around: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234915

Here in NJ, front window tinting is illegal, so I had to go with lighter shade, but black interior makes it appear darker. Since you are in FL, you can go darker. Still, with black-on-black I wouldn't got too dark. Perhaps 20%?
Old 09-05-06, 07:30 AM
estreefidy
Driver School Candidate

Correct me if I am wrong, but the lower the percent number, the darker the tint, right?

In other words, a 30% tint job is not as dark as 20%, correct?

BTW, Twister, love the pics. I will be sure to post some of mine when I finally get the dawg-gone thing!

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-05-06, 09:11 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

30% tint lets in only 30% light, so it is tinted 70%. Yes, you are right, the lower the tint percentage, the darker it becomes.
Old 09-05-06, 02:52 PM
estreefidy
Driver School Candidate

Well, it seems that 30% is what we will end up with. My wife doesn't want limo-like tint (it will be her car), but I have been told by the dealer etc., that on black cars, lighter tint doesn't look quite right. Therefore, it would seem that 30% is a happy medium.

Ultimately, I guess it is personal preference.

CaBlonde, what is your percentage?
Old 09-05-06, 04:12 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I will not do again is to tint the rear window of my cars. If for some reason you want to remove or replace it the defrost wires on the rear glass will come off with the tint. I use the rear shade most of the time during the day and then at night I can lower the shade and more easily see who is behind me. Especially those blue light specials trying to pace my speed
Old 09-05-06, 06:08 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

CaBlonde, what is your percentage?
20% all around, except the windshield, of course. I posted pics a month ago in the Rollcall thread. Since you are new to the forum, you may not have seen them. Here is a link so you don't have to search:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=214896&page=4
Old 09-05-06, 08:12 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

That is interesting. I just figured out that link only works when you are logged in. If not, the pages are in different order.

Here, this should bring you directly to the post and not to the page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=104

and

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=101

Old 09-06-06, 12:52 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by estreefidy
Hi all...

Thoughts?
It all comes down to personal tastes, but if you had to make a decision based on general consensus...more than a few people will say that dark (e.g., 5%/limo) tint--especially if it's the dark-blue tinged tint film--does not look really sharp on a dark-colored vehicle...but if privacy is important to you, then by all means go with limo tint.

Me--I went with 35% on all four doors and rear glass for my SGM; yes, you can still see inside the vehicle during the day w/ 35% tint but IMHO it offers a nice contrast against the SGM color and is dark enough so as to not look like your windows aren't tinted at all. I probably would have been satisfied w/ 20% all-around just for the privacy factor but didn't want to chance drawing unwanted attention from the LEOs.

Sounds like 20% would be a nice compromise in your case--dark enough to offer privacy, but not too dark so as to look "out of place" (for lack of a better description) on a black-colored vehicle.
Old 09-06-06, 01:33 PM
estreefidy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toneman
It all comes down to personal tastes, but if you had to make a decision based on general consensus...more than a few people will say that dark (e.g., 5%/limo) tint--especially if it's the dark-blue tinged tint film--does not look really sharp on a dark-colored vehicle...but if privacy is important to you, then by all means go with limo tint.

Me--I went with 35% on all four doors and rear glass for my SGM; yes, you can still see inside the vehicle during the day w/ 35% tint but IMHO it offers a nice contrast against the SGM color and is dark enough so as to not look like your windows aren't tinted at all. I probably would have been satisfied w/ 20% all-around just for the privacy factor but didn't want to chance drawing unwanted attention from the LEOs.

Sounds like 20% would be a nice compromise in your case--dark enough to offer privacy, but not too dark so as to look "out of place" (for lack of a better description) on a black-colored vehicle.

I think I agree with your assessment. I called the dealer today and told him that I would be happy with 30%-35%. Ultimately, my wife is NOT concerned with privacy... it is more for aesthetics than anything else. Tint just looks cool!

Thanks for the input. It helps a lot to hear what others think!

EStreefidy
Old 09-09-06, 04:34 PM
ZaKapitan
Driver School Candidate

no matter what tint you get, make sure it's a non-metallic tint, like ceramic tint. The metal in the actual tint can mess with your navi and the antenna in the back windshield.