ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring
27.33%
Cold engine start noise
24.00%
Wind noise
23.67%
Interior rattles
25.67%
Voice Recognition for climate control
13.67%
I have none of the problems listed above
32.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 07:46 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
Regarding steering grinding when you start the car and telescopic steering column extends, I don't have it in GS and never had it in my original ES. But, found it in ES loaners and even in IS250 loaner as well. Is this something you have experienced before?
My es doesnt have the grinding noise. However, the gs350 loaner had a bit of a grinding noise every time I turned off the car....now that I think about it...it was probably the steering column retracting.
Old 11-23-06, 08:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Can't wait for my JD Power survey Just want to add that during the last 2 tranny repairs I went through, I also driven 3 different ES (all 04/06 build). Neither of them had cold start problem, but they had tons of other problems from engine tapping to wind noise, etc. One thing I found very annoying was that weird noise (like some mechanical gear grinding) in the steering column when you start the car. BTW, I always thought my original ES was quiet without a wind noise, up until I start driving GS.

BTW, "driving expectation" is a very relative term. Depending on your previous vehicle, these problems might look so insignificant that ride is perfect. For others, who are changing from one luxury brand to the other, its a big deal. And, there is also a third group of people, like me, who got their eyes open after reading all these post in the forum to realize that what they consider as normal is actually not
We could also add a 4th group of people who were fortunate enough to get a problem free car. IMHO
Old 11-23-06, 08:37 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mentioned that before, when you get a few cases with problems you can consider that as an isolated incident. When you get LOTS of these cases, it becomes a design flow. And, design flow affects every car, just the severity of these symptoms will vary depending on geographic location of drivers and driving style itself. Only time will tell if Lexus will come out admitting that. If this wouldn't be a big deal, they wouldn't keep shipping over their design engineers from West Coast to NJ in both of the cases when my tranny was replaced.
Old 11-23-06, 09:12 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I mentioned that before, when you get a few cases with problems you can consider that as an isolated incident. When you get LOTS of these cases, it becomes a design flow. And, design flow affects every car, just the severity of these symptoms will vary depending on geographic location of drivers and driving style itself. Only time will tell if Lexus will come out admitting that. If this wouldn't be a big deal, they wouldn't keep shipping over their design engineers from West Coast to NJ in both of the cases when my tranny was replaced.
So flying out their designers\techs does tend to suggest that this is a big deal. Does anyone know if this type of thing has happened before with Lexus? Is this the first time anyone has heard of them flying engineers around to diagnose and examine issues first hand?
Old 11-24-06, 05:47 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

When my dealership service run a diagnostics on the car they found a different error code associated with a cold start TSIB. That was one of the main reasons for flying in the first time. The second time, they got seriously concerned about brand new faulty tranny with October build.

I'm also curious if anything like this ever happend in history of Lexus with any of their previous models?
Old 11-24-06, 05:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We could also add a 4th group of people who were fortunate enough to get a problem free car. IMHO
We could also add a 5th group who have issues and compromise by accepting them and oddly want others to compromise too.
Old 11-24-06, 07:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
We could also add a 5th group who have issues and compromise by accepting them and oddly want others to compromise too.
Or a 6th group, None Of The Above.
Old 11-24-06, 08:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Or a 6th group, None Of The Above.
Or a 7th group who have issues and did not even realize they had an issue, as Twister with his trans initially.

Twister, do you realize if not for this great forum you might not be in a GS right now, might not have been till much further down the road if at all?
CL Rules
Old 11-28-06, 12:52 PM
malraymal
Driver School Candidate

I have a loaner 2007 es 350, wow that thing is fast! Can't say much about it...I think lexus could of done a lot better considering the other 2007 models.
Old 11-29-06, 07:04 PM
topgun04
Driver

"I'm also curious if anything like this ever happend in history of Lexus with any of their previous models?"

Yes, the launching of the original GS400 in 98 or so. We bought one a couple months after the launch and we had 3 computer re-programming, replacing the mirror assembly, a new set of tires, + some rattling stuff. But we loved that car and the latte is good at the dealership.
Old 11-29-06, 07:32 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or we could add an 8th group for those that are delusional and think everything is a problem and and design flaw, when in fact, it's working completely normal and as designed.
Old 11-30-06, 05:25 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Or we could add an 8th group for those that are delusional and think everything is a problem and and design flaw, when in fact, it's working completely normal and as designed.

Or we could add a 9th group, a group which is so delusional they believe that the 2/3 of posts on Celibon's poll from people indicating actual problems with their car are instead from people whose cars are working normally and as designed.
Old 11-30-06, 07:43 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Although acknowledging the transmission problem Lexus' response to my questions sounds like standard canned corporate speak.

Pat

Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
ES 350

Discussion Thread
Response (Jennifer McKee) 11/30/2006 01:34 PM
Dear Mr. Colwell:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

Thank you for inquiring about the ES 350. While a very small percentage of our newly introduced 2007 ES 350s were identified with a transmission issue, we believe our engineers have worked diligently to successfully resolve this issue. Quality is extremely important to Lexus, as is customer satisfaction. The ES is selling extremely well and we have every confidence you would enjoy your ownership experience.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Jennifer McKee
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Customer (Pat Colwell) 11/21/2006 09:03 PM
The new owners of the above are experiencing various issues such as wind noise, cold engine tapping noises and transmission flairs between shifts that have resulted in some TSBs that have not addressed the problem. Even after replacing some transmissions the problems come back.

Does Lexus have any permanent fixes in mind? If so, what is the time line?

I was going to purchase one but if quality is heading the direction of Mercedes Benz I may have to look elsewhere.

Thanks;

Pat Colwell
Auto-Response 11/21/2006 09:03 PM
YOUR QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN SUBMITTED YET!

Try one of the Answers below that has been automatically selected.
If your issue remains unresolved, click the "Finish Submitting Question" button below.

Title: ENGINE Oil Consumption
Link (Do not use for response): https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1064520883

Title: Timing Belt
Link (Do not use for response): https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1075413961

Title: Engine Break-In Period
Link (Do not use for response): https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1075413473

Title: STORING TIPS
Link (Do not use for response): https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1051831352

Title: FUEL Sulfur Odor from Exhaust
Link (Do not use for response): https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1064507761
Old 11-30-06, 08:25 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Patric
Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

Thank you for inquiring about the ES 350. While a very small percentage of our newly introduced 2007 ES 350s were identified with a transmission issue, we believe our engineers have worked diligently to successfully resolve this issue. Quality is extremely important to Lexus, as is customer satisfaction. The ES is selling extremely well and we have every confidence you would enjoy your ownership experience.
Hmmmm... I agree with the canned responses in general - even when discussing things with them over the phone. I've highlighted some things in bold that I'll comment on.

Superior Service - I asked how I'd received superior service given my multiple repair visits with failed or no fixes. I was advised they couldn't comment on that. I then stated that I just couldn't see the difference in service for repair issues being any different to Ford\Chrysler\GM, and asked how I'd received better service from Lexus. I was advised they couldn't comment on other vehicle brands and what they did.

Successfully resolve - Umm... this board has owners that differ on that opinion. The TSIB was a part of that succesful resolution. Please refer to the TSIB results poll. Or go directly to the trans problem by month Poll

Quality - I advised that my vehicle had quality issues, which is why it is in for issues all the time. I was advised they couldn't comment on this either.

Customer Satisfaction - I made it clear that in no way was I satisfied at all, as I'd had issues reported from Day 3 of ownership, and ongoing from there. They were OK with this, and offered nothing more as a resolution than continuing to attempt to repair my vehicle by me continuing to go to the dealer.

Don't get me wrong - I still amazingly like Lexus and they have some awesome products. The ES is just a lemoncake though for some of us, and when we counted on Lexus to stand by us and walk us through to a great resolution.... well, we found ourselves standing alone. Lexus get an A+ for almost everything, but a solid F as far as solving issues with the new ES. I now understand that we're basically Beta testing this vehicle for Lexus, and there will be issues. That's fine - but that's not what I purchased this car for!

Incidentally, my dealer advised me that they've sold nearly a hundred ES vehicles, and I'm the third to date with the trans replaced so far.
Old 11-30-06, 10:16 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I agree that "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" is pretty much useless. They seem to work against the goodwill of their dealer franchises. The substance of the response of "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" is no different than the response you would get from Ford or Chevy....it's just that the "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" people spend most of the time touting how special the Lexus brand is. When I contacted "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" about my transmission issue, the one thing that I remember most is their arrogance.

Quick Reply: What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?