ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring
27.33%
Cold engine start noise
24.00%
Wind noise
23.67%
Interior rattles
25.67%
Voice Recognition for climate control
13.67%
I have none of the problems listed above
32.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 07:06 AM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garsarno
It was 40 degrees F this morning and I also had the "lifter" type noise for about a mile after start up. 8/06 build date. A Lexus should not be doing this, esp with only 700 miles. To the dealer for inspection.
I have same problem and 2nd visit to Dealer thursday and willl leave car overnite so Technician can hear when cold start.
I will post results.......................
This is only problem with car......................................................
Please post any fixes for this problem...............................

NYardich from Aliquippa, Pa.
Old 10-25-06, 07:15 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reported this on day 3 of ownership, back in late May. I was advised it was 'normal', but in fairness to the dealer I'm sure I was the first ES350 that they'd even had in for service problems at that time. I don't think there is a fix for this, and no one here at CL has reported having had any engine work done. Despite everyone not being happy with it. I can tell you over time it does change in pitch as things wear. Mine isn't as 'snappy' like clacking sound as it used to be. Its more muted now, but still there as the engine is wearing. I'm 6mths into ownership with 13,000kms now on this car.
Old 11-06-06, 06:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I reported this on day 3 of ownership, back in late May. I was advised it was 'normal', but in fairness to the dealer I'm sure I was the first ES350 that they'd even had in for service problems at that time. I don't think there is a fix for this, and no one here at CL has reported having had any engine work done. Despite everyone not being happy with it. I can tell you over time it does change in pitch as things wear. Mine isn't as 'snappy' like clacking sound as it used to be. Its more muted now, but still there as the engine is wearing. I'm 6mths into ownership with 13,000kms now on this car.
I agree, it can start out as though cannery works full shift with overtime employees brought in and over time it can drop slightly to just full shift no overtime employees involved.

And as time progresses a loose particle sound can be present and heard with deisel knocking tapping, more noticeable at hot making up part of the clacking sound. As if something the size of a BB is loose in there part of the overall deisel like sound.
Old 11-06-06, 07:20 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After driving off this cold morning in PA (32 degrees), the cannery works was present and the transmission shift was off too. I wonder if the regular oil, being cold and hence it's viscosity thicker, does not get to where it needs to go quickly in the engine and transmission. I wondered if using a synthetic, such as Mobil 1 instead in both transmission and crankcase, being thinner in cold flow, would alleviate these problems.
Old 11-06-06, 07:26 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
After driving off this cold morning in PA (32 degrees), the cannery works was present and the transmission shift was off too. I wonder if the regular oil, being cold and hence it's viscosity thicker, does not get to where it needs to go quickly in the engine and transmission. I wondered if using a synthetic, such as Mobil 1 instead in both transmission and crankcase, being thinner in cold flow, would alleviate these problems.
garsarno,

I do not think you can access transmission fluid to change it at all. Seems several have posted it is a sealed system supposedly never needing changing.

As to the cannery works, my am temps here mid summer were at least 72 degrees and higher so oil viscosity associated with temp does not seem to play a role in this.
Old 11-06-06, 08:43 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh well, it was a thought this morning. After driving for 15 miles or so, stopped to get the newspapers. After start up, no noise present. Only in initially when cold. Can't wait for 0 degree weather in January to hear the noise. That's when to have at the dealer - leave it in their parking lot over the weekend and have them start it up Monday morning.
Old 11-08-06, 08:52 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 350 Problems

Originally Posted by Celibon
I'm seeing more people posting problems about their ES350. We all know that it's the nature of this kind of forums to draw posts of problems and make them seem more wide spread than they really are. At the same time, however, to those people who genuinely have a problem, it's 100% defective for them and it kills their enjoyment of a new shiny car.

I would like to see a poll of how many people actually have one or more problems with their car. This is not to make them feel even worse or anything, because if the percentage is unfortunately high, it might help push Lexus to do something.

Preferrably only people who have owned/driven the car for over a month or 2k miles vote. And please make sure you understand and are sure you're having a particular problem. You can find them by going through the threads on this forum or by doing a search.

The vote is available for multiple choice. If you have 2 or more problems please check all that apply.
Celibon;

Now that you have this data, here is a suggestion for its use:

Send this data to Lexus corporate, in Canada, USA and Japan, via their email addresses with a copy to this forum and ask the following questions:

(1) Is Lexus aware of the existense and extent of these problems.
(2) Has Lexus determined the cause.
(3) Has Lexus developed an effective remedy.
(4) If so when will they so advise Lexus owners and dealers.

JD Power and Associates plus known automotive watch groups should also be copied and Lexus so advised.

Because of the nature and extent of these problems it appears that there is a systemic issue with their design and manufacturing processes. Lexus needs to know this. They have an ethical responsibility not only to prevent this from reocurring, but also to openly communicate its acknowledgement to current owners and customers that it does exist, and take action to satisfy them. This will also alleviate dealers from the sometimes impossible task of trying to remedy design problems and put the responsibility where it lies.

You may want to enlist the help of other CL members; their ideas, senior Lexus contacts, mainstream media contacts and automotive watch group contacts.

Just an idea.
NGG
Old 11-08-06, 02:33 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NGG
Celibon;

Now that you have this data, here is a suggestion for its use:

Send this data to Lexus corporate, in Canada, USA and Japan, via their email addresses with a copy to this forum and ask the following questions:

(1) Is Lexus aware of the existense and extent of these problems.
(2) Has Lexus determined the cause.
(3) Has Lexus developed an effective remedy.
(4) If so when will they so advise Lexus owners and dealers.

JD Power and Associates plus known automotive watch groups should also be copied and Lexus so advised.

Because of the nature and extent of these problems it appears that there is a systemic issue with their design and manufacturing processes. Lexus needs to know this. They have an ethical responsibility not only to prevent this from reocurring, but also to openly communicate its acknowledgement to current owners and customers that it does exist, and take action to satisfy them. This will also alleviate dealers from the sometimes impossible task of trying to remedy design problems and put the responsibility where it lies.

You may want to enlist the help of other CL members; their ideas, senior Lexus contacts, mainstream media contacts and automotive watch group contacts.

Just an idea.
NGG
NGG,

It would be great to think that Lexus would respond in a manner one might think about these widespread issues. I have personally experienced the opposite from Lexus corporate individuals as have several other members who have posted such on here.

With the exception of NAV and transmission there is no interest in addressing those people who have cars with engines making the knocking tapping noise or wind noise complaints, owners are left on their own for these issues with few exceptions being from caring dealers making some attempts for wind noise, but not Lexus corporate. There is even a reluctance in some instances to address transmissions, putting that off by attempting to call it learning as several have experienced and posted on here.

The wind noise has been renamed buffeting as though that makes it acceptable and the engine noise has a variety of explanations assigned to it as if that is supposed to make it acceptable in a vehicle at this price point labled as due to timing chain or due to fuel injection to excuse away this problem and hoodwink those who have it.

The bottom line where wind noise and engine noise are concerned, is those with those issues are stuck with them if they had not caught it prior to delivery of their vehicle.
Old 11-22-06, 07:53 PM
brio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I let JD Power Know ...

I filled out an initial quality survey sent to my home from JD Power. I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the excessive wind noise and sewing machine noise on cold start-up. I would like to follow this up and let them know how I will never buy another Lexus again. I agree with the comments about arrogance. Head office have stuck my dealer with the problem of trying to make me happy. I don't think it's a dealer issue. My dealer is trying as hard as they can to satisfy me. I have no issue with them. As we speak, they are replacing my window seals on the off chance that this may help. My CD player also died today on the way to the dealership. I have driven two ES350 loaners and they each have slightly different issues. The one I have right now has a clicking sound in the steering, the same high level of wind noise, but has a smoother idle than my car. The last loaner had 25% less wind noise than mine. What I don't get, are the people who say they have no problems. I have driven three ES350's and they are all not the Lexus quality of my previous Lexus. Are these happy owners oblivious or older than I am and have lost more of their sensory power than I have?
Old 11-22-06, 08:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't know how old you are, or how much sensory power I've lost, but I haven't had any problems at all with my ES after 6+ months and 5,300 miles of ownership. The car has been fine, and enjoyable to drive. It has met my expectations.
Old 11-22-06, 09:32 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brio
I filled out an initial quality survey sent to my home from JD Power. I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the excessive wind noise and sewing machine noise on cold start-up. I would like to follow this up and let them know how I will never buy another Lexus again. I agree with the comments about arrogance. Head office have stuck my dealer with the problem of trying to make me happy. I don't think it's a dealer issue. My dealer is trying as hard as they can to satisfy me. I have no issue with them. As we speak, they are replacing my window seals on the off chance that this may help. My CD player also died today on the way to the dealership. I have driven two ES350 loaners and they each have slightly different issues. The one I have right now has a clicking sound in the steering, the same high level of wind noise, but has a smoother idle than my car. The last loaner had 25% less wind noise than mine. What I don't get, are the people who say they have no problems. I have driven three ES350's and they are all not the Lexus quality of my previous Lexus. Are these happy owners oblivious or older than I am and have lost more of their sensory power than I have?
I feel your pain. I will probably start a thread soon on Lexus Canada and how they're dealing with us.
Old 11-23-06, 05:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by brio
brio,

I have had the same experience with multiple ES350 loaners as you, varying degrees of general engine noise, knocking tapping, heard in the car, wind noise in EVERY single one of them though it varies in intensisty and all would be described as unacceptable in any other vehicle, but deemed normal for an ES by Lexus.

I have also had the same experience as you where Lexus corporate is concerned.

JD Power has not sent me a survey to fill out.
Old 11-23-06, 06:15 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Can't wait for my JD Power survey Just want to add that during the last 2 tranny repairs I went through, I also driven 3 different ES (all 04/06 build). Neither of them had cold start problem, but they had tons of other problems from engine tapping to wind noise, etc. One thing I found very annoying was that weird noise (like some mechanical gear grinding) in the steering column when you start the car. BTW, I always thought my original ES was quiet without a wind noise, up until I start driving GS.

BTW, "driving expectation" is a very relative term. Depending on your previous vehicle, these problems might look so insignificant that ride is perfect. For others, who are changing from one luxury brand to the other, its a big deal. And, there is also a third group of people, like me, who got their eyes open after reading all these post in the forum to realize that what they consider as normal is actually not
Old 11-23-06, 06:31 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Can't wait for my JD Power survey Just want to add that during the last 2 tranny repairs I went through, I also driven 3 different ES (all 04/06 build). Neither of them had cold start problem, but they had tons of other problems from engine tapping to wind noise, etc. One thing I found very annoying was that weird noise (like some mechanical gear grinding) in the steering column when you start the car. BTW, I always thought my original ES was quiet without a wind noise, up until I start driving GS.
Can you give us a description of what you think about your ES wind noise now that you're in a GS? Does the GS have the steering grinding noise when you start the GS and it pops out?
Old 11-23-06, 07:35 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Not really sure how to describe it. Wind noise in loaners was more explicit, like missing insulation. I never felt that in my original ES car. GS is very quiet inside, you only hear the engine (normal performance sound that is). With that in comparison, I can tell you that my original ES had this buffeting noise. Looking into the design of both of these cars, you can see that side view mirrors in ES are farther back from where GS has it. I think that contributes to buffeting noise. Also, I can hear less road noise in GS. This could be due to tires, perhaps? I was actually expecting more road noise due to a wider tires with a lower profile (not as soft floaty ride as ES). Of course my opinion is probably very biased now considering I just started my GS "honeymoon". Would be very interesting to get someone who is not familiar with either of ES or GS, and give their perspective about wind noise.

Regarding steering grinding when you start the car and telescopic steering column extends, I don't have it in GS and never had it in my original ES. But, found it in ES loaners and even in IS250 loaner as well. Is this something you have experienced before?

Quick Reply: What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?