ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Detailing your ES350

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 11:24 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing your ES350

I never had my car detailed before. What exactly does the job include? Can they buff out swirl marks and give you a nice new finish? Do the re-apply a clear coat? Do the touch-up minor nicks? How expensive is a typical job? Is it worth doing on your ES350 once a year?
Old 08-30-06, 04:24 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaius, you are kidding me right? You have never detailed a car? Really?? Or is this another BS thread...

New clear coat! Now that's funny. Clear coat is done as the final part of the paint process and should only be done in a paint booth by professionals. This is NOT part of the detailing process.

Detailing is a thorough wash, wax, vacuuming, tire treatment, window cleaning, and leather & vinyl treatment. It's about a 3 hour job to do it right. I do mine 3 - 4 times a year. I have a Porter Cable buffer with special pads that do not leave swirl marks. And it makes applying the wax a breeze. I buff the wax off by hand.

Or you can just pay someone to do it.
Old 08-30-06, 05:39 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, as described above, just a wash, wax, vacuum, and tires/windows. Also, in my previous car they washed my engine. I got that done from a guy who does detailing of Lexus loaner cars at my dealership. Prices vary from $100 to $300.

I actually will be taking my ES350 for detailing soon. In my townhouse parking lot, my assigned spot is right in the corner where grass sprinklers are. So, I noticed some yellow spots on my chrome edge around the windows. Took it to a dealership, they took care of it and told me it got acidized probably from the chemicals used in sprinkler (I was very impressed it wasn't their falt and they still took care of it!!!). They recommended me to get a protective wax and chrome coating for the car which I'm planning to do in a couple of weeks. It also a good idea for us here on the East Coast with rough winters and all the salt on the roads.
Old 08-30-06, 05:52 AM
ckon
Rookie

I do some part of a detail every week (or more) to each of my cars.

Not only does it keep them looking good, but it keeps them feeling like new and I LOVE the feel of new cars! My 50,000 mile 4Runner still feels and looks great and is as satisfying to drive as the new ES (in it's own way, of course!)
Old 08-30-06, 05:56 AM
ckon
Rookie

Detailing is what keeps a car like new. I do some part of a detail every week (or more) to each of my cars.

Not only does it keep them looking good, but it keeps them feeling like new and I LOVE the feel of new cars! My 50,000 mile 4Runner still feels and looks great and is as satisfying to drive as the new ES (in it's own way, of course!)
Old 08-30-06, 08:17 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ckon
Detailing is what keeps a car like new. I do some part of a detail every week (or more) to each of my cars.

Where do you find time to do detailing weekly or more? I barely have time for weekly car wash....and I do that at the touchless car wash or Lexus dealer. Then I get somewhat lectured on the IS forum for not doing it myself.

Anyway, I'm currently searching for a good detailer in the Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley. Some quoted me $250 to $300, and they recommend that I have it done at least every 6 months. There's a guy name Lexhost (I think that's the name), and he is in the Simi Valley area, and many CL members get theirs done by him.

Last edited by Cali_Girl; 08-30-06 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:13 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Macklin
Kaius, you are kidding me right? You have never detailed a car? Really?? Or is this another BS thread...
Seriously Mack, before this Lexus, a car is only a mode of transportation to me. I used to wash my car like once every 9 months, and do maintenance only when the car tells me it needs it. The lexus kinda changed my perspective on nice things, so i wanna take care of it. I think i'll do the detailing once a year....makes more sense to me cus it refreshes the car. The time and expense associated with detailing kinda prevents me from doing it more often....we'll see...
Old 08-30-06, 10:19 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Porter Cable buffer with special pads that do not leave swirl marks. And it makes applying the wax a breeze. I buff the wax off by hand.
The Porter Cable is great. Makes detailing a breeze
Old 08-30-06, 10:26 AM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Where do you find time to do detailing weekly or more?

I'm retired!

Seriously, it's just a matter of priorities - keeping my cars looking new has always been one of my hobbies.
Old 08-30-06, 11:29 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually wash weekly, sometimes fortnightly depending on how dirty the car is.
I'd wax twice a year, vacuum the interior and swiffer once every one or two months.

Basically, once you make it a habit, it'll come easy.
Old 08-30-06, 11:58 AM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Basically, once you make it a habit, it'll come easy.

...plus, the more you do it, the less there is to do at any one time.
Old 08-30-06, 12:30 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Just washed my ES this past Sunday--just barely a week after I bought it! Nothing too detailed--just a gentle wash to clean off accumulated dust and a few bug splatters. I must say thought that it didn't take me as long to clean it than it would if I were washing my long-bus Yukon XL Denali--LOL!!!
Old 08-30-06, 12:52 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Seriously Mack, before this Lexus, a car is only a mode of transportation to me. I used to wash my car like once every 9 months, and do maintenance only when the car tells me it needs it. The lexus kinda changed my perspective on nice things, so i wanna take care of it. I think i'll do the detailing once a year....makes more sense to me cus it refreshes the car. The time and expense associated with detailing kinda prevents me from doing it more often....we'll see...
OK, I can understand that. Plus your weather out there on the left coast is more conducive to infrequent washings for sure. I live 3 blocks from the oceanfront. A good coat of wax is the only thing between the salt air and the clear coat.

Now that you have a $40K investiment you need to learn to maintain it. As long as the water continues to bead up you're good.
Old 08-30-06, 01:32 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

OK, I can understand that. Plus your weather out there on the left coast is more conducive to infrequent washings for sure. I live 3 blocks from the oceanfront. A good coat of wax is the only thing between the salt air and the clear coat.

Now that you have a $40K investiment you need to learn to maintain it. As long as the water continues to bead up you're good.
im gonna wax it myself when the weather cools off a bit. It's good exercise and I get to touch every part of the car. This car is gorgeous when its shiny and sparkly.... Definietly gonna clean it real good before I head to san diego next month to show to my friends.
Old 08-30-06, 03:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

When the exterior isn't too dirty and you want a quick wash, I've had good luck with the Mr. Clean Auto Dry Car Wash. Follow the directions, put the car in the shade when done and it drys pretty well spot free, windows too. Maybe a couple of spots that need to be wiped off after they dry. Gotta keep an eye on the replaceable filter to prevent spotting. I use the device more on the exterior windows of the house than I do on the car - It's fast and works great.

Quick Reply: Detailing your ES350