ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

“What is that smell?”

Old 08-24-06, 01:40 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default “What is that smell?”

I had other clients in my car yesterday and noticed that she was wearing heavy perfume. In this market, I am fortunate to even have clients so I did not complain. What could I say to her anyway….."Do you mind taking a shower first before you get in my car?" Well, this morning I sat in my car and there it was…….the perfume! It is like that Seinfeld episode with the valet and the BO. I drove with the windows and sunroof open all the way to work. I have been so careful too. I would even transport take out food in my trunk so it would not smell up the cabin. There goes my new car smell. Do you think it will go away?

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of many experiences with clients in my car. I am going to do what Kaius suggested and buy a Yaris to show property in.
Old 08-24-06, 01:55 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaBlonde
I had other clients in my car yesterday and noticed that she was wearing heavy perfume. In this market, I am fortunate to even have clients so I did not complain. What could I say to her anyway….."Do you mind taking a shower first before you get in my car?" Well, this morning I sat in my car and there it was…….the perfume! It is like that Seinfeld episode with the valet and the BO. I drove with the windows and sunroof open all the way to work. I have been so careful too. I would even transport take out food in my trunk so it would not smell up the cabin. There goes my new car smell. Do you think it will go away?

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of many experiences with clients in my car. I am going to do what Kaius suggested and buy a Yaris to show property in.
I am 99.999% sure the smell will go away. Here are the reasons:
1) Your client did not leave any solids/liquids with that smell in your car.
2) The only porous surface that can seep smelly stuff is the butt portion of the seat. Since perfume is usually applied above the waist, nothing should be trapped down the vent holes.
3) Smells are just molecules of the material recognized by your olfactories. Airing the car will definitely get rid of those molecules. Only trapped molecules keep the area smelly.

If you really love your car, you can be its personal deodorizer by breathing in REALLY HARD many times inside the car. You essentially suck up all the smells and turn them into CO2. Or you can wear your favorite perfume and try to overpower that smell in the car.

Seriously, my daughter spilled mango smoothy in the Highlander with all leather interior, and it smelled for 1 week, then the smell was completely gone. Ventilation is the key. I'm sure the Lexus engineers have considered "what if a person passes gas after a Mexican meal, how do we make sure the car doesnt smell bad forever?" Hence, the NEWLY REDESIGNED ES350 INTERIOR!
Old 08-24-06, 03:50 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

My mother & her father both suffer from the same thing.
The problem is that they want to wear enough smell so that it lasts awhile (Which get use to it... It will never happen). They also "burn" the sensativity in their nose. Over time, for them to smell the same level as you, they must use much, much more.

You'll have to explain it too her, or quit taking her. Just remember... People like that can get pissed so...
Learning proper technique to smell nicely is also big. Ladies should dumb down most almost all perfumes. The idea is that perfume itself should only be detectable to someone that's intimate with you in the FIRST place.

http://beauty.about.com/od/behindthe...plmistakes.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Purchase-and-Apply-Perfume
Using an atomizer: Using an atomizer to apply your fragrance can be tricky. Many atomizers distribute too much fragrance to a specific point. To avoid "overdose," squirt the fragrance into the air above or directly in front of you and "walk" into the falling mist. If you choose to spray your body directly from an atomizer, apply it to your body trunk and rub your skin to distribute the fragrance.
Always apply your fragrance before you dress. It is very difficult to remove the scent of perfume from clothing.
Consider the comfort of others when you wear perfume. You may not be able to smell it, but others can.
Apply the fragrance correctly. Less is more; you want to bring people to your attention, not clear the room. Real perfumes usually have a stronger power than colognes. Use either of them with discretion and in good taste.

Last edited by Pheonix; 08-24-06 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 09:46 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a coworker to breakfast last week and she smelled like smoke. I dont like smoke. So I asked her to eat lotsa bacon... was happy that some bacon grease dripped on her. Now the smoke smell is replaced by bacon smell. I like bacon.
Old 08-28-06, 03:22 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the seat belt harness. Going across the chest tends to transfer the perfume onto the harness. A good cleaning of the harness might do the trick.
Old 08-28-06, 05:04 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this morning I sat in my car and there it was…….the perfume! It is like that Seinfeld episode with the valet and the BO.
Just be thankful your experience was not like another classic Seinfeld episode - the one in which "Poppie" (the guy with the bladder control problem) visits Jerry's apartment and sits on his sofa!

Last edited by Lexucan; 08-28-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 10:15 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last vehicle was owned by an elderly couple. It was immaculate and only two years old (Honda), but had this smell that we thought would go away. It didn't. I've since learnt that if you want to keep that new vehicle smell you have to protect it at all costs. Once its gone - its gone. In my case here the elderly couple had the car for a year before I got it. You will probably be OK with the perfume smell after a few weeks I think. I'd clean the leather and seatbelt material as suggested here, just to be sure.

I had a 2000 Avalon that I owned for two years from new and that still looked and smelled like new when we sold it. Keeping the floor mats clean was the biggest thing actually, once you get dirt in the car that can carry odour.

Tip for chinese\mexican\whatever take out food NOT smelling up your car: Put it in the trunk. Put it in another plastic bag in the trunk, a plastic bag that is really large and has thick plastic. I have this large blue Skechers plastic bag and it completely blocks any chinese food smell I put in it.

The fact that I put takeout in an extra plastic bag in the trunk of my car means I really do love my car
Old 08-29-06, 09:23 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just be thankful your experience was not like another classic Seinfeld episode...
How about the episode where the parking attendant leaves unremovable BO! That happened to me when I had an '87 Acura Integra detailed. It had cloth seats and took FOREVER for the odor to go away.
Old 08-29-06, 12:06 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Just be thankful your experience was not like another classic Seinfeld episode - the one in which "Poppie" (the guy with the bladder control problem) visits Jerry's apartment and sits on his sofa!
Bite your tongue Lexucan. lol

I am happy to say that the perfume smell is finally gone. It took a few days but she has her new car smell back again.

Love how Bob thoroughly reads my post. lol Selective reading.
Old 08-29-06, 02:19 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bite your tongue Lexucan. lol
Consider it bitten ...ouch!

I think I would take the lingering smell of strong perfume any day over the sight and smell of pee stains on my new leather seats!......if that happened, I'd have it cleaned and then cover all the seats in clear vinyl like George Castanza's parents did to their livingroom furniture!