ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Manual nav hack switch

Old 08-20-09, 04:07 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan20
Anyone out there?!?!?!
you connected the wrong sides of one of the wires.....or have a loose connection.....you are supposed to lose the turn by turn guidance when you have a switch in place and turn off the switch to input an entry
Old 08-20-09, 04:53 PM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
you connected the wrong sides of one of the wires.....or have a loose connection.....you are supposed to lose the turn by turn guidance when you have a switch in place and turn off the switch to input an entry
thx man!...appreciate it... i figured you should only lose voice guidance when you flip the switch while moving to input an entry..and you confirmed
Old 08-20-09, 05:41 PM
EyeKutr

Hope it works out, it is nothing serious, something is just wired wrong, GL
Old 08-20-09, 06:55 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
EyeKutr is correct. The turn by turn guidance is disabled only when the speed sensor is disabled. Turning the switch back to normal mode restores all non-hacked functionality.
Old 08-20-09, 08:46 PM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

thx gentlemen!!... i gotta say the lexus forums are the best out there.. hands down!!
Old 11-11-09, 03:37 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav-Hack Switch

Hi Folks,

Seems like the Nav-Hack is a common, easy and useful modification. I really like the idea of the installation of the switch in the upper right position of the switch-cluster (assuming there is room) and I was thinking I would try and source a Lexus switch that would look OEM. I have a Park-Assist disable switch which has a light on it in the upper-left position. Could I find one of these somewhere cheap and use this? The light could then be wired to come on when the disable is active. What do you think? Where could I get one of these cheap?

Andrew
Old 12-06-09, 05:57 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav Hack Only Works for 20 Seconds...

Folks,

OK, I did the Nav hack and here are the results. I have a 2007 ES-350....

1. When the circuit is "closed" current is flowing through the light blue wire to the Nav unit, the map moves smoothly and the programming options are grayed out. This is the normal arrangement.

2. When the circuit is open, current does not flow through the light blue wire, the map moves jaggety and the options are not grayed out. This is the nav hack.

Sounds good, right? Well, here's the catch......

This little scenario only works for about 20 seconds. In other words, after 20 seconds of an open circuit, the nav unit somehow figures out that the car is in fact moving and grays out the input options even though the circuit is still open. You can fool it again by closing the circuit for a moment and re-opening it, but it takes about three or four of these little maneuvers to successfully get through the programming menus.....

So, what is wrong? Are you guys telling me this has worked for everyone except me and and you all only cut the light blue wire? Seems like something else must be done to permanently fool the nav unit. My guess it has something to do with the GPS.

I rechecked all my connections. Any suggestions?

Andrew
Old 12-06-09, 06:43 PM
EyeKutr

Andrew
you are correct. After 20-60 secs satellite signal overrides lack of VSS, hence Nav knows car is moving. You just need to learn to enter the destination faster, I can usually do it with one flip of the switch.
Old 12-09-09, 07:48 AM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Folks,

So basically we now have a "more dangerous" arrangement than if Lexus just gave us full control over the equipment WE PAID FOR. I hate this crap....

OK, so assuming I can't enter in a whole destination in 20 seconds while actually keeping my eyes on the road, and I don't want to be under the gun to do it fast fast fast, is there any other way? Could you disconnect the GPS? If there were no GPS signal, what would theoretically happen? On which wires is the GPS?

Andrew+
Old 12-09-09, 08:03 AM
EyeKutr

Well
you could often use the last destination or marked points feature quickly, remember there is no functionality when moving normally, zip, zero, nada. You could be responsible and pull over. hack is great especially if someone is in the car with you. You could go and buy the nav override kit prestigious society sells.
Old 12-12-09, 03:25 AM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by MonAndrew7
Folks,

So basically we now have a "more dangerous" arrangement than if Lexus just gave us full control over the equipment WE PAID FOR. I hate this crap....

OK, so assuming I can't enter in a whole destination in 20 seconds while actually keeping my eyes on the road, and I don't want to be under the gun to do it fast fast fast, is there any other way? Could you disconnect the GPS? If there were no GPS signal, what would theoretically happen? On which wires is the GPS?
This is where the "hack" in "nav hack" comes in - it isn't perfect by any means.

The 20 to 30 seconds window applies only to entering a destination. The phone book and audio screens are all fully unlocked for as long as your switch is in the disable mode.

I'm not sure the GPS signal goes through that harness, but in theory your idea is sound.

As EyeKutr said, without the hack there is no functionality at all while moving. Usually I have my wife type in a destination while I flip the switch to give her all the time she needs. Not an ideal situation, but far more useful than the default Lexus system. I agree with you that the nav shouldn't have been crippled in the first place. But with laws against texting while driving becoming more and more common, it's doubtful Lexus will ever give us the complete control we wish we had.
Old 09-30-10, 08:59 AM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and my friend must have did something wrong while performing the mod. While switch is off the gps icon doesn't move no matter how long I wait. Also, system looses car position after car was off. I already had to recalibrate it 4 times because it would just think I am 4-5 miles away from my actual position no matter how long I drive. Does it look like GPS signal is no longer fed into Nav unit? I bypassed the switch and problem persists. Which wire feeds the GPS signal? Thanks!
Old 09-30-10, 04:09 PM
cotrone
Driver School Candidate

Wow, how in the world did you figure this out.
Old 09-30-10, 09:54 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cotrone
Wow, how in the world did you figure this out.
another explanation would be calibration of the nav unit after disconnect. How perfect should be actual location versus map alignment for calibration?
Old 10-01-10, 06:19 AM
dreyfus

I've no clue what's going on here because the GPS signal does not go through the harness you should have modified. I'd return to the factory state by undoing any changes and see if that corrects the problem. I've never had any problems with car location and have never had to calibrate, so I'm thinking something else is involved here.

You could try looking at the NAV inputs using the diagnostic mode. This will give sensor as well as satellite readouts which may point towards the problem.

START DIAGNOSTIC MODE
(a) There are 2 methods to start diagnostic mode. Start
the mode by using one of them.
(b) Method 1
(1) Start the engine.
(2) While pressing and holding the "INFO" switch,
operate the light control switch: OFF → Turn ON
→ Turn OFF → Turn ON → Turn OFF → Turn
ON → Turn OFF.
(3) The diagnostic mode starts and the "System
Check Mode" screen will be displayed. Service
inspection starts automatically and the result will
be displayed.
(c) Method 2
(1) Start the engine.
(2) Switch to the "Display Check" screen.
(3) From the display quality adjustment screen,
touch the corners of the screen in the following
order: upper left → lower left → upper left →
lower left → upper left → lower left.
(4) The diagnostic mode starts and the "System
Check Mode" screen will be displayed. Service
inspection starts automatically and the result will
be displayed.

It sounds like all your harnesses might not be tightly connected. Good luck in figuring it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual nav hack switch