ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 06:57 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Noise

I'm looking for some opinions on tires. I'm really interested in quiet tires. I drove to Seattle and back last weekend and the stock All Season tires are either dead silent or extremely noisy, depending on the road surface. Lexus of Seattle must have a great time taking test drives on I5 just North of Lynwood as they have resurfaced the road and it is just amazing driving in silence at 60+mph.

Is there a better tire that will provide quieter ride on the rough surfaced roads? I'm thinking the Goodyear Comfortreds would probably do a lot better than the OEM tire up here in the North. Even the Tripletreds are probably better.

Anyone swapped for a different tire as yet?
Old 08-17-06, 07:43 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I'm looking for some opinions on tires. I'm really interested in quiet tires. I drove to Seattle and back last weekend and the stock All Season tires are either dead silent or extremely noisy, depending on the road surface. Lexus of Seattle must have a great time taking test drives on I5 just North of Lynwood as they have resurfaced the road and it is just amazing driving in silence at 60+mph.

Is there a better tire that will provide quieter ride on the rough surfaced roads? I'm thinking the Goodyear Comfortreds would probably do a lot better than the OEM tire up here in the North. Even the Tripletreds are probably better.

Anyone swapped for a different tire as yet?
I originally had the michellin all season tires. I had my dealer swap the all season tires for the Toyo Proxes which are summer tires. The handling is much improved, and they are also quieter too! The tread life on these Toyos are approximately half the life of the Michellins...but I don't care. I'll gladly change out the Toyos after 20-25K miles.
Old 08-17-06, 08:40 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nce+ComforTred

Quietest tire I have ever owned. Tread Life is 80,000 miles BUT you will probably see a very slight decrease in fuel economy.
Old 08-17-06, 10:27 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by richbutler
I originally had the michellin all season tires. I had my dealer swap the all season tires for the Toyo Proxes which are summer tires. The handling is much improved, and they are also quieter too! The tread life on these Toyos are approximately half the life of the Michellins...but I don't care. I'll gladly change out the Toyos after 20-25K miles.
Toyo is the tire set for PP+ package. Michelin is the tire set for UL. So you downgraded and got better results???
Old 08-17-06, 11:09 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dshahs420
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nce+ComforTred

Quietest tire I have ever owned. Tread Life is 80,000 miles BUT you will probably see a very slight decrease in fuel economy.

Do you have the Comfortred tires on your car now? On coarse highway roads is there a big improvement? I've seen the ratings at tirerack.com before and it looks like a significant noise rating improvement from the Michelins.
Old 08-18-06, 04:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Toyo is the tire set for PP+ package. Michelin is the tire set for UL. So you downgraded and got better results???
All of the ES's are coming with Michelin's at my dealership. I have heard others on the east coast say the same.
Old 08-18-06, 05:12 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Another Michelin all-season here with PP+ (East Coast).
Old 08-18-06, 06:11 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

PP+ equivalent in Canada, and I have the Michelins. The highways in CAL, Nevada, Arizona, etc, always seemed smoother to me than the roads up North. I imaging the Toyo tires on those southern roads would be very quiet.

But up North with these coarser roads and the Michelin tires, things can get rather noisy.
Old 08-18-06, 07:27 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kaius88

Downgrade... huh? The Toyo and Michilens are just different types of tires, summer and all season tires, respectively. My dealer said that there is no set tire with each package; the brand of tire on each car depends on the tires at the assembly line. Ultimately, it also depends on where the car is being shipped to. You should choose the tire depending on what you are looking for. I'm looking for max performance in terms of grip and ride quietness and never go to the snow. I also gladly sacrafice tread life for better performance. So summer tires are the best fit for me.
Old 08-18-06, 07:51 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. nuff said.

steviej
Old 08-18-06, 07:56 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by richbutler
How many miles do you have on the Toyo's?? Typically summer/performance tires will get louder as they wear. My Toyo's were supper quiet when I got them, but 5000 miles later and I can already notice a difference.
Old 08-18-06, 08:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

moms avalon uses those goodyear triple tred assurance, very quiet, night and day quiet over the OEM junk, traction and ride quality are very good too
Old 08-18-06, 11:33 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

On my old 02 ES300, I had Yokohama Avid H4s. They are directional tires...they are really smooth and quiet. Would have bought the V4s except that Yokohama did not make them in 215/60/16. Yokohoma does make our size 215/55/17 in the Avid V4s and they are very reasonably priced. Once these Michelins are worn out, that's whats going on my 07 Es350. If you look on tire rack, they are very highly rated. Believe you would be extremely pleased with them as well.
Old 08-18-06, 06:56 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Do you have the Comfortred tires on your car now? On coarse highway roads is there a big improvement? I've seen the ratings at tirerack.com before and it looks like a significant noise rating improvement from the Michelins.
I have the Michelin Pilot on one of my other car and have the Comfertreds on my ES330 and there is a BIG difference in quietness with the comfertreds being a lot more quieter. I get lesser gas mileage but then again these tires last for 80,000 miles(i have done it). Never going to have any other tires on any luxury car. Another quiet tire at a great price is the Pirelli PZero Nero + which i have on another car and they are a tad bit better than Michelins plus cost a lot less than the Michelins but my vote is for the Goodyears.
Old 08-18-06, 07:31 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

OK, everyone seems to like the Goodyear Comfortred. Or the Tripletred. For those of you with these tires, do they age nicely, or do they get noisier as they get older and wear down?

Quick Reply: Tire Noise