ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Seats, how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 03:33 PM
uthorns197
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 Seats, how hard?

I'm desperately searching for a new car. My last several cars have been Buicks so I'm used to very basic seating...no lumbar, no fancy stuff. The last car I had with lumbar support, an Acura Legend, didn't stay in my garage very long because the lumbar wouldn't flatten out completely and it killed my back. In those days, the lumbar was pneumatic but not as sophisticated as today's lumbar supports. Based on this, should I consider the ES350?? I like the looks of the vehicle and the price, but I'm concerned about the seating.

My brother has a 2006 RX400h. He has had it for a year. I have driven it only once for three hours on the highway. I found the seats to be very stiff and not particularly comfortable.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-06, 03:38 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No complains here Really, this is something up to a personal taste. Comfort of a seat is a relative thing, what might work for one not necessary the same for the others.

You have to test drive the car yourself to make this judgement. Good luck!!!
Old 08-17-06, 04:28 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ES has one of the softest seats in the industry. This is a Lexus afterall and not a Buick.
Old 08-17-06, 04:57 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I dunno if the UL leather seats are any different than the Premium leather seats, but I gotta say this is the softest leather I have ever touched. The seat is nothing but pure comfort...and the lumbar support is fully adjustable to your liking. The seat extender gives your hamstring area a little more support.... it's really one of the most comfortable cars around.
Old 08-17-06, 05:19 PM
Celibon
Driver

The seat is very soft and comfy for me. Like others have said, it's best that you see for yourself at a dealership.
Old 08-17-06, 06:47 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

The seats are very comfortable and feature lots of adjustment. The seat extender is really great. I sometimes forget how much I enjoy it, so I set it to go back to a 'normal' seat - freak out because i don't like it - then extend it again

I find after two hours of driving or so though the seat seems a little hard on my butt, but I have no idea why. If I squirm around a bit it seems OK again. It's probably just me.

If you really want to try the most comfortable seats in any vehicle, I thoroughly recommend the Volvo S80. Or S60, XC70, V70 or XC90. The S80 is probably the best though. Volvo seats are just crazy - they are the most comfortable I've ever sat in, and sleeping in them is so easy. The problem with Volvo's is that they're not very quiet. The S80 has a smooth engine, great AWD (you can't even tell its AWD until you need it) and super comfortable seats with a fantastic Dolby sound system. What turned me off was the noise at high speed, the interior looking like it was many years old (gaps, etc) and the poor reliability rating.
Old 08-17-06, 08:48 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Buy a Cadillac STS. Its like sitting on a couch. Some people like that but i hate it since there is a chance of me falling asleep while driving!
Old 08-17-06, 08:59 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not hard at all and the leather in the UL is glove soft.
Old 08-17-06, 10:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm, I found the extender useless though. Are those that found it useful, those with shorter legs? I tried it and made no noticeable difference. I can see it move quite a bit but I can't feel the effects as much as the movement seem to imply.
Old 08-17-06, 11:12 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nextourer
hmm, I found the extender useless though. Are those that found it useful, those with shorter legs? I tried it and made no noticeable difference. I can see it move quite a bit but I can't feel the effects as much as the movement seem to imply.
I thought my legs were long - I'm 6ft tall. I didn't think I'd find much use for it, but it does seem to provide support further along my leg than normal. If I set it back to the minimum (normal?) setting, then the seat cushion just feels too short now.
Old 08-18-06, 12:13 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm... I'm also 6 but long in the legs.
Old 08-18-06, 04:04 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, the Volvo S has got to be the noisiest vehicle in its class. My office had one leased for a while and the level of noise at speed just blew me away....compared to my 9 YO ES.

The ES350 seats are just another step up from past gen's....just like the rest of the car. They adjust every which way, but loose. You really need to experience it.
Old 08-18-06, 05:55 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Count me as the odd man out here but I don't particularly like the new seats. I found the seats in the 2002 ES300 to be far superior. I agree that the seat extender is yet another one of those silly "gee whiz" features designed more to impress friends and neighbors than to do anything to improve seating comfort.

Yes, the leather is glove soft and the fit and finish is typical "Lexus superb."

I also agree that if you want state of the art seat comfort, try sitting in any Volvo. They are simply superb. MB seats come in a close second. Lexus missed the mark here and the sad thing is I can't really put my finger on why other than to wonder why the seat bottoms cannot be adjusted up and down front and back. It feels a bit like the seat cushion is canted a bit too forward.

Bottom line, just not as comfortable as the best out there.

Not by far.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 08-18-06 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-18-06, 06:08 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

The seats are very soft, no doubt. The leather is very soft even on the PP. Certainly the softest leather I've ever sat in. I do find them to be very comfortable. I think I've just been spoilt previously by those Volvo seats over some 5+hr trips. On a 5hr trip the ES seats aren't as comfortable for me as the Volvo ones were. For me that makes the ES350 seats the second best seats I've ever sat in, which is still a very, very good thing!
Old 08-18-06, 06:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

All this talk about car seats, reinforces just how subjective seat comfort is. I've owned 2 Volvos and in my opinion the seats in both were fine, but nothing to rave about. The seats in the ES are comfortable FOR ME too. You really have to judge for yourself, hopefully before buying a car, since it will be your butt and back in the seat.

Quick Reply: ES350 Seats, how hard?