ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is it possible that ML improves over time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 11:59 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible that ML improves over time?

Ok... this is kinda strange.... When i first got this SGM 3 weeks ago, I was not really impressed with the ML sound system, despite all the positive remarks from all the audiophiles here. I consider myself a semi-audiophile, as I have perfect pitch and have had formal opera training before college. I've always been very sensitive to pitches (as opposed to volume). So I couldnt figure out why the sound quality was not optimal to me.... I was thinking maybe im going deaf or something. Upon fiddling with the settings, I found that if you set the high, mid, low equalizer to max setting, the sound quality is considerably better. Then I turned OFF surround sound, and the music began to come to life. Then over the last few days i play music throughout my 2+ hours of commute, and i think for some reason the sound is getting better and better. Is it possible that the speakers require some wearing period to loosen up and operate optimally? I use one song as my testing standard: "Unbreak My Heart" by Toni Braxton. This song really emphasizes the richness of any quality sound system. Anyone would notice tremendous difference playing this song on different systems.
Old 08-11-06, 10:22 AM
dshahs420
Pole Position

2+ hour commute........wow! dont have ML but when i sampled both i actually wasnt impressed with it.......the TL's Elliot Schiener sound system rocks......one of the best i have heard. I doubt the speakers get broken in though....This car making you senile kaius?
Old 08-11-06, 11:39 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dshahs420
2+ hour commute........wow! dont have ML but when i sampled both i actually wasnt impressed with it.......the TL's Elliot Schiener sound system rocks......one of the best i have heard. I doubt the speakers get broken in though....This car making you senile kaius?
nah...im cool. i am totally enjoying this car now that im more used to it. So happy to have such a nice car for once in my life.......so im just being nitty gritty about the details.

2+ hours commute a day (not each way!). I cant wait to go to san diego next month and show my friends this car. The ride near Laguna beach should be nice.....right next to ocean.
Old 08-11-06, 02:05 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Nice, I bet your friends will want to buy an es350 too.

Edit: Happy Birthday!!! Did the wifey get you anthing special?
Old 08-11-06, 02:08 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Kaius88, all speakers have a break in period, regardless of construction type.
They may not be broken in when the car leaves the factory. Normally it takes a few hours of normal audio playback to break most in, or an hour (at most) playing specified frequencies.
Old 08-11-06, 02:36 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Nice, I bet your friends will want to buy an es350 too.

Edit: Happy Birthday!!! Did the wifey get you anthing special?

Unfortunately my friends dont work as hard as me, so they cant afford luxury just yet. But they will once they get their act together...

Thanks for the Bday wish Dshahs. Wife got me a gift cert from amazon.com, my favorite place to shop. In the past she got me clothes, which i dont really like receiving for christmas or bday. One time she got me a GameCube game, but unfortunately, I don't own a gamecube. I'm a Playstation man. So she did the wise thing in giving me a gift cert. And we went to Todai for sushi last night....which made everything just perfect for me. I guess I dont have much to complain now that things are settling.... oh...wait....gotta finish my 2005 taxes by Aug 15th.
Old 08-11-06, 03:41 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

HBD!
Old 08-11-06, 03:56 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, any high quality speakers or headphones will have a break in period. For example, my studio headphones (Sony MDR7506) take about a month...
Old 08-11-06, 03:59 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Kaius88, all speakers have a break in period, regardless of construction type.
They may not be broken in when the car leaves the factory. Normally it takes a few hours of normal audio playback to break most in, or an hour (at most) playing specified frequencies.
thanks pheonix. does it only take a short time to break in those speakers? i cant wait to watch a movie on it. Since it reads DVDs, I wonder if I can copy 1000 mp3's on a DVD-r and have it play as if it were a CD full of mp3's.
Old 08-15-06, 08:01 PM
savior02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Ok... this is kinda strange.... When i first got this SGM 3 weeks ago, I was not really impressed with the ML sound system, despite all the positive remarks from all the audiophiles here. I consider myself a semi-audiophile, as I have perfect pitch and have had formal opera training before college. I've always been very sensitive to pitches (as opposed to volume). So I couldnt figure out why the sound quality was not optimal to me.... I was thinking maybe im going deaf or something. Upon fiddling with the settings, I found that if you set the high, mid, low equalizer to max setting, the sound quality is considerably better. Then I turned OFF surround sound, and the music began to come to life. Then over the last few days i play music throughout my 2+ hours of commute, and i think for some reason the sound is getting better and better. Is it possible that the speakers require some wearing period to loosen up and operate optimally? I use one song as my testing standard: "Unbreak My Heart" by Toni Braxton. This song really emphasizes the richness of any quality sound system. Anyone would notice tremendous difference playing this song on different systems.
sorround sound is really only meant for dvd movies w/ that feature available...