ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ML Subwoofer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 10:42 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Subwoofer Problems

Ok, elsewhere in these forums some one has mentioned that the sub seems to be bottoming out at even medium volume levels. This is disturbing as I consider myself a bit of an audiophile.
I see this problem occurring for 3 possible reasons:
1. Due to volume level and bass enhancement the amplifier is "clipping" the signal and therefore causing distortion.
2. The speaker itself has reached the maximum excursion level with the given input and therfore distorts.
3. The speaker itself it hitting perhaps the grill above due to the excessive movement. This is much less likely but can't be rulled out until I remove the grill (does anyone know how this comes off?)

If the sub itself is undersized it should be relatively easy to replace and problem is solved. If the channel is overdriven and clipping then an additional mono channel amp can be intorduced as log as it takes speaker level inputs.

Has anyone drilled into this problem and shed some light on what is going on?
Old 08-09-06, 11:30 AM
Lex350
Driver School Candidate

I have only noticed it when using my ipod and an EQ setting that had a high bass level (Rock). I also have the bass level set to a higher level for AUX. With a load bass sound song and the two setting bosting it even more it is extreme. I found that setting the ipod EQ to classical was the perfect balance of bass and sound.

Last edited by Lex350; 08-09-06 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 02:51 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Uhhh......I hate to be picky, but as you can probably tell by my screename, I am somehow "connected" to the lower end of the audio frequency spectrum, as in being a bass player.

Allow me to suggest that the proper spelling for that frequency range is "bass," not "base."

Kinda liek awl thuh peeple on massege boreds thatt yewze "breaks" wen reefering too "brakes."
Old 08-09-06, 03:13 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were a fisherman. Bass as in Fish.
Old 08-15-06, 11:58 AM
savior02
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I'm having the same problem w/ the subwoofer. I wanna take it to sound advise and see what they say/recommend....its weird b.c. for some rap songs I can blast it to max and the bass will sound soooo good alongwith the mids and the highs...but on other rap songs the volume on mid the bass from the woofer will sound distorted and sound like **** while the bass from the mids sound better..it kinda sounds like woofer is popped or it doesn't have enough watt capacity for the amount of watts going in......I dunno what the problem is but it sucks to have to replace a cool ML 8" subwoofer like that one.....or maybe ill take it to the dealer and see what they say....

Last edited by savior02; 08-15-06 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 12:05 PM
PDG810810
Rookie

Originally Posted by savior02
I'm having the same problem w/ the subwoofer. I wanna take it to sound advise and see what they say/recommend....its weird b.c. for some rap songs I can blast it to max and the bass will sound soooo good alongwith the mids and the highs...but on other rap songs the volume on mid the bass from the woofer will sound distorted and sound like **** while the bass from the mids sound better..it kinda sounds like woofer is popped or it doesn't have enough watt capacity for the amount of watts going in......I dunno what the problem is but it sucks to have to replace a cool ML 8" subwoofer like that one.....or maybe ill take it to the dealer and see what they say....
Now I am hearing (From the Lexus Audio Forum) that the sub is 16 ohms impedance. So much for installing an aftermarket sub.
If I decide to replace it I will have to install a new amp along with the speaker. I wonder if there is enought power back there?
Old 08-15-06, 04:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PDG810810
Ok, elsewhere in these forums some one has mentioned that the sub seems to be bottoming out at even medium volume levels. This is disturbing as I consider myself a bit of an audiophile.
I see this problem occurring for 3 possible reasons:
1. Due to volume level and bass enhancement the amplifier is "clipping" the signal and therefore causing distortion.
2. The speaker itself has reached the maximum excursion level with the given input and therfore distorts.
3. The speaker itself it hitting perhaps the grill above due to the excessive movement. This is much less likely but can't be rulled out until I remove the grill (does anyone know how this comes off?)

If the sub itself is undersized it should be relatively easy to replace and problem is solved. If the channel is overdriven and clipping then an additional mono channel amp can be intorduced as log as it takes speaker level inputs.

Has anyone drilled into this problem and shed some light on what is going on?
do you actually have ES350 already? If not, its probably the best to listed to it yourself once you get it...
Old 08-15-06, 04:58 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO if you are having a problem with the subwoofer take it back to Lexus and have them repair it. (Yes I said REPAIR it) Rationale: for the more than $2000.00 the ML system should meet your needs. If it does not the Lexus Brothers need to hear about it. Either that or there is no relentless pursuit of perfection.