ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My ES got dinged!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 10:35 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My ES got dinged!!!

i have a habit of inspecting both sides of the car against the lighting to make sure no new scratches or dings. Also gives me a chance to admire my new car. Just now, 5 mins ago, i went to the office parking garage to get some stuff from my car. As I was walking away, I saw in the middle of the right rear door. It was obvious someone opened their car door to fast and nicked it. It's about 1/2 the size of a dime. At first it looked like a light scrape, but upon looking it at the light, i saw the light bend a bit, which means a DENT! Not very obvious, but now i'll see it every time. DAMN!! I'm so upset. It's gotta be the Bentley parked next to me.... but i have no proof. Am I stuck with this blemish for good or is there a way to clear out very shallow nicks? No paint was chipped but the finish got scratched. *sigh* I know it's bound to happen eventually, but not so soon. It's not even 3 weeks.
Old 08-09-06, 10:46 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

I am waiting for this dreaded occurance myself. As I have only had my 350 less that a week I have the same walk around ritual. My sympathies. Inconsiderate #@!@!# out there!
The dent doctor or similar establishments can take that out usually.
Old 08-09-06, 11:01 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very curious to know if "pop-a-dent" works as advertised.
Old 08-09-06, 11:15 AM
Lex350
Driver School Candidate

Default Me too

Just this morning I was hit on the highway by a piece of a truck tire that was kicked up. It put a 2 inch dink on the front bumper. Luckly it is on the bottom part of the bumper. I have been taking all precations to prevent dink. Oh well. It could have been worse we were going about 80 and the airbag could have opened.

I have a U.L. Blue Onyx. Ouch.
Old 08-09-06, 11:23 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

I have watched them do this on some dents on a Acura TL I once had.
They drill a hole on the door closest to the dent. They take specialized metal rods with varoius curvatures and rub out the dent from the inside out. After that they plug the hole with a plasic black hole plug that almost looks factory. If you get someone that really knows what they are doing you will be hard pressed to find the dent they fixed!
Old 08-09-06, 11:27 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i mean these things are bound to happen eventually. the sad part is i havent even gotten to show my friends in san diego the brand new shiny car. Well as i said, not too obvious....but the location of it makes me look at it often. Just went downstairs again to look at it. Oh well my wife says the 1st one hurts the most. I'll just accumulate more before i go have them all removed at once. My new car paranoia level just went down by a notch, which is not a bad thing.
Old 08-09-06, 11:29 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PDG810810
I have watched them do this on some dents on a Acura TL I once had.
They drill a hole on the door closest to the dent. They take specialized metal rods with varoius curvatures and rub out the dent from the inside out. After that they plug the hole with a plasic black hole plug that almost looks factory. If you get someone that really knows what they are doing you will be hard pressed to find the dent they fixed!
They drill a hole??? man wouldnt you see the plug afterwards because it's silicon and not metal? i assume they also apply some finish to remove the scratch associated with the dent right?
Old 08-09-06, 11:30 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Unfortunately thats the reality when you decide to take your car out for a ride, especially in parking garages. Dent Wizard does great work (if you have them out west) but you really have to weigh the cost of the repair against the severity of the damage. Sometimes it's just not worth it if there is a likelihood it will happen again. Do you have assigned parking? If not, I would suggest parking far far away from the furthest car in the garage everyday.
Old 08-09-06, 11:39 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kaius88
They drill a hole??? man wouldnt you see the plug afterwards because it's silicon and not metal? i assume they also apply some finish to remove the scratch associated with the dent right?
The hole they drill is on the inside edge of the door, above or below the latch depending upon the ding location. The rods they use are fairly long so they can reach pretty far in the door itself.
They usually apply sealant to the hole before putting in the black plug, I assume to prevent rust.
It is not an inexpensive process but if you wait and collect up a few dings it is more cost effective.
Old 08-09-06, 11:41 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My first ding (a hit & run) happened Memorial Day weekend. I feel your pain.
Old 08-09-06, 12:23 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
My first ding (a hit & run) happened Memorial Day weekend. I feel your pain.
Jeff that's end of May! so soon after you got yours also? where was it, and do you plan to get it fixed? I cant justify getting mine fixed yet cus its not severe enough...... but the 1st one does indeed hurt most.
Old 08-09-06, 01:12 PM
Celibon
Driver

Ouch, I feel sorry for you man.
Old 08-09-06, 01:28 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
Unfortunately thats the reality when you decide to take your car out for a ride, especially in parking garages. Dent Wizard does great work (if you have them out west) but you really have to weigh the cost of the repair against the severity of the damage. Sometimes it's just not worth it if there is a likelihood it will happen again. Do you have assigned parking? If not, I would suggest parking far far away from the furthest car in the garage everyday.

dont have assigned parking. since the car is not a virgin anymore, i dont think i'd park it so far far away.... I'm cool now... the sadness/anger has subsided... cant see it unless you bend down, so it's not so bad. It's life...
Old 08-09-06, 01:39 PM
anvan95
Driver School Candidate

Default me,too

Originally Posted by Lex350
Just this morning I was hit on the highway by a piece of a truck tire that was kicked up. It put a 2 inch dink on the front bumper. Luckly it is on the bottom part of the bumper. I have been taking all precations to prevent dink. Oh well. It could have been worse we were going about 80 and the airbag could have opened.

I have a U.L. Blue Onyx. Ouch.

Well ,I understand your feeling,and it happens to me,too.After owing for1 month (500 mils,mostly garage parked),the other day I decided to drive to pickup my wife,on way back,a stone rock ,fr a big pickup ahead ,flying and knocking loudly on top of my left front hood,then it passed away,both of us felt ..so mad,when I got home,I found 3 small nicks in 1-in area,luckily,just the clearcoat gone !! That nite,I felt crazy. The next day,I parked next to my in-law car allday,then thismorning I found 1scratch on the right rear door, I guessed my in-law might open too fast !! I got used to having new car then over the time,it got hit everywhere !! Sooner or later,just over time. The only most horrible event is when some crazy ppl backing up their car slowly and for some unknown reasons ,they hit my car slowly and bending my car body ,especially on the rear back sides,but leaving NO paints cratch,just bending the body, it did happen to my new Maxima then ,3 times in 1 year !! 1 the size of dinner plate,and a soup bowl size. In these cases ,a repair man would use a special tool ,put it on the outside body,and suck out the metal,there is no bit drilling at all. So this time,with these scratches,I try to take it Easy !! Just thinking about the backingup fr some driver fr some grocery parking lot ,scares a hell out of me. Keep watching your car body at public supermarkets, keep away fr big pickup trucks .Thats all we can minimize, about the scratching in parking,take it easy (So easy to say !)
Old 08-09-06, 02:04 PM
Celibon
Driver

Stay away from those big Cadillac's, too. Oh and all coupes.

Quick Reply: My ES got dinged!!!