ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My clearcoat is peeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 07:13 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My clearcoat is peeling

I was washing my car a few days ago and noticed that the clearcoat is peeling on the edge of the hood facing the windshield. My car is Crystal White and is 2 months old tomorrow. I called the dealer and they told me the Service Manager is on vacation this week, and to stop by any time the week after.

What should I expect from the dealer? I took a few photos tonight and I am trying to attach them.

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails My clearcoat is peeling-car5.jpg  
Old 07-31-06, 07:15 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

here is a closeup of the peeling
Attached Thumbnails My clearcoat is peeling-car_closeup4.jpg  
Old 07-31-06, 07:23 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Wow... Never heard of the clearcoat coming off like that. Could it be the sound reduction thing?

Have any idea on what caused it?

Mink92890
Old 07-31-06, 08:28 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Demand the car be repainted. That is outrageous! If it happened on one part of the car it will happen on another. Bad lot of material or your car could have been made on a Monday
Old 08-01-06, 05:39 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Wow that is really bad. Lexus should take care of you, I wouldn't stress to much. I hope this is not a systematic problem
Old 08-01-06, 09:24 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I think you need to inspect every edge of every crevice to see if this problem occurs elsewhere. I suspect there was an initial nick that was amplified over time.... They will sand it down a bit and then touch up with clear coat in that area. That should fix it for good and you won't notice it. There are so many variables that contribute to peeling. You wouldn't happen to park your car near the ocean would you?
Old 08-01-06, 01:49 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

I had a honda accord that in just 1 year started to get a bubble, when I called the dealer they were sure I left bird poo on or something. But with 1 look they agreed it came from under and made arrangements to paint it. My loaner was a civic, but in nice shape.
Old 08-01-06, 02:35 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

Before I bring the car in, I will examine every inch of the paint very carefully. I have no idea what caused this. I have only washed my car a few times and I don't think I ever washed that edge. I do not live near the ocean and have been careful about parking it away from everybody else. When I am home, it is in the garage. There is no way that I could have scraped it with anything. The location of the peeling is in such a strange place -- not a place that anyone would touch. I am guessing it started with a very small hole and maybe the heat and the sun made it larger. My car has about 1800 miles and not many miles have been highway driving so I can't imagine that a rock hit it -- since it is on the edge.

Lisa
Old 08-03-06, 03:05 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

Default another place on the hood

I started looking very closely at the paint on the car and I noticed another place where it is peeling -- on the hood at the corner near the drivers side headlight. I clearly have a defective hood.
Attached Thumbnails My clearcoat is peeling-peel2.jpg  
Old 08-03-06, 10:28 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Maybe something landed on your hood while your car was parked on the street. Living near a construction site, I've seen forklift dropping wood boards and debris quite often. One time I saw a large wood fell and struck a nearby car.
Old 08-04-06, 04:04 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

LEXUS should give you another car. If they repaint the car, its value will be diminished. Call LEXUS CUSTOMER SATISFACTION (800) 255-3987 and demand a replacement vehicle NOW.
Old 08-05-06, 08:35 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Looks like the car had some damage that the dealer tried to hide, I would figure that the truck driver dropped a chain on the hood when the car was in transit
Old 08-05-06, 08:50 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looks like someone repainted the hood to me before lds got the car.
Old 08-07-06, 02:14 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whether it is a repaint or original OEM paint it clearly looks to be a defective paint job. The hood will need to be repainted. If it is a suspected dealer repaint, I would inspect the entire car for more repair work just to be sure there are no other repainted areas. I would then demand to know why you wasn't told it was repainted. If it is a defective OEM paint job, I'd wonder how many other cars came out of the factory with bad paint.
Old 08-07-06, 07:43 PM
lds
Driver School Candidate

Default It was white plastic

Thanks for all of your replies. I went to the dealer today and the service manager solved the problem by peeling off the peel. It was the white plastic that they cover the hood with. I didn't see the peeling until I had the car for about 7 weeks. The plastic was good and tight on the car until the heat and the sun caused it to rip and pop up, looking like the paint was peeling on my Crystal White car. It is a little embarassing, but I am just happy that it isn't the paint. And the service manager was very happy that it was an easy problem to solve.

Quick Reply: My clearcoat is peeling