ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My ES / My Whining

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 04:23 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I have read all of your gripes on this almost perfect car, I thought I would add just a few of my own that I noticed.

I have only had my ES for 15 hours, only 3 of those hours playing in the car, but here it goes:

1) The windshield wipers are up too high on the windshield in the down position. My Acura's wipers locked down in the hood. It is a little distracting having them on the windshield so you can see them but I am sure I will get used to it.

2) The NAV screen....... Even if you use the audio or climate controls, after 30 seconds or so, the display will always go back to the "I Agree Disclaimer". Unless you turn the screen off, which it will go to black or you can turn the map on, then it goes back to the map. Is there a way to make it stay on the audio or climate controls until you decide to switch the screen? Not a big deal, just different than I am used to.

BTW, PaJaHa and amf1932......your issues with the button to open arm rest. You guys must have burly arms? I tried flip-flopping my arm all over that center console and didn't even come close to popping that button open with my elbow.

Funny the things we do after reading them in the forum. You should have seen me looking for the manufacturer date on the door jam at the dealership yesterday. The salesman's going
Old 08-02-06, 05:15 AM
Boston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by CaBlonde
Since I have read all of your gripes on this almost perfect car, I thought I would add just a few of my own that I noticed.

I have only had my ES for 15 hours, only 3 of those hours playing in the car, but here it goes:

1) The windshield wipers are up too high on the windshield in the down position. My Acura's wipers locked down in the hood. It is a little distracting having them on the windshield so you can see them but I am sure I will get used to it.

2) The NAV screen....... Even if you use the audio or climate controls, after 30 seconds or so, the display will always go back to the "I Agree Disclaimer". Unless you turn the screen off, which it will go to black or you can turn the map on, then it goes back to the map. Is there a way to make it stay on the audio or climate controls until you decide to switch the screen? Not a big deal, just different than I am used to.

BTW, PaJaHa and amf1932......your issues with the button to open arm rest. You guys must have burly arms? I tried flip-flopping my arm all over that center console and didn't even come close to popping that button open with my elbow.

Funny the things we do after reading them in the forum. You should have seen me looking for the manufacturer date on the door jam at the dealership yesterday. The salesman's going
You can tell the system to stay on the audio screen if you'd like...don't have the car with me but the option is there under"users" or "options" or something similar...it can be done
Old 08-02-06, 08:15 AM
Celibon
Driver

Originally Posted by CaBlonde
You have the same problem I had, which can be easily solved after you read this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229556

Oh and congratulations on your new car!

Last edited by Celibon; 08-02-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 09:33 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Thanks Celibon. Sorry, I didn't notice that thread earlier. This forum is awesome....page numbers to the manual and everything. I will have to try it. I am a little scared I will break it but if you have already successfully done it, I can too. I am still in that initial paranoia stage of owning this car. Does this psychotic behavior wear off eventually?

And Boston, I have pushed every button on that NAV system I could find. Today is the beginning of another day to play with it.
Old 08-02-06, 09:51 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Just read the entire Windshield Wiper thread. Weird how we have different manuals from Canada. If I get enough nerve to do it, I will try your written instructions. If not, the dealer will have to do it. I'm scared. LOL
Old 08-02-06, 10:37 AM
Boston
Driver School Candidate

Wiper instrux not in my manual either...I will check the nav screen when I get home and let you know the procedure if you haven't found it by then...
Old 08-02-06, 11:10 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

I am a big chicken I tried to do it, I just can't figure it out. Not to mention again, that I am a big I will have to wait for the dealer to do it for me.

BTW, I do have it in my manual on page 150. They must have thought I was Canadian. LOL
Old 08-02-06, 11:49 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all this, now I can't wait to get to my car and snap wipers into "canadian" configuration

Its actually funny how you were looking at date code from the start. When they first showed me my car, I rushed to check the hood alignment cause that day I was reading about Kaius88 (my bizarro-bro) having that adjusted in his legendary MSM Salesguy also suspected that I had a few lose screws, cause most of the people rush in to sit behind the wheel of their new car, not to check the hood alignment.

Regarding armrest opening. I think it has to do a lot with your seat positioning. I noticed when I have it upright (90 degree), I tend to bump the opening button. But, when seat is more in reclining position, this doesn't happen.
Old 08-02-06, 01:50 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

I rushed to check the hood alignment.....

I did too. LOL Also, when he was going through the car's features with me and was telling me about how to change the positions of the side mirrors, I TOLD HIM ".....and you need to put it in the right or left position to enable the side mirrors to tilt down when you back up." You should have seen the look on his face. He said, "My, you have done your homework." That is an understatement. LOL

Regarding armrest opening. I think it has to do a lot with your seat positioning. I noticed when I have it upright (90 degree), I tend to bump the opening button. But, when seat is more in reclining position, this doesn't happen.

That explains it. I have very long legs.
Old 08-03-06, 06:04 AM
Boston
Driver School Candidate

CaBlonde, check page 155 of the "Navigation System" manual, not the "Owner's" manual......
Old 08-03-06, 06:36 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I'm actually really skinny, I think it's just the way I sit. I tend to recline the seat a lot but sit up straight, so that only my lower back is touching and I lean on the center console. I've adjusted accordingly and haven't been doing it as much.
Old 08-03-06, 01:30 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Thank you Boston. That solved my little problem. I could have sworn I pushed every button possible that first night.

I didn't even know there was a separate NAV Manual. I barely cracked open the Owners Manual yestesday afternoon.

LOL. Did you know there is a little tray that slides back and forth in the center console? Mine was so far back that I didn't even know it was there until I started thumbing through the manual.

I guess I have some reading to do.

BTW.....just picked up my car from the tinting place. OMG...it looks so HOT!

Old 08-04-06, 06:08 AM
Boston
Driver School Candidate

you're welcome...nah, didn't know about the tray; you see, it's my wife's car & I only have been in it 2x;I'm the one who reads, she's the one who uses...sigh.....btw, I can't find anything about the summer/winter positions for the wipers; snow tire chains,yes but nothing about the wipers...she says the high position bothers her too, so it is on the 5000 mile list to check with dealer..glad the screen worked; by the way, does it "learn" this, or do you have to do this each start-up?....
Old 08-07-06, 09:19 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To keep the Nav screen from switching back to map..

push the INFO button, then SCREEN TRANSITION, turn the feature off and you're good to go. To speed up the voice commands instead of hearing: Please say the command after the beep etc. go to Menu, SETUP, Voice recognition guidance, turn the feature off and you're in business.

If you want to enter destinations while in motion ( at your own risk) go to MENU, VOLUME, and touch the top left corner where the speaker icon is and then the lower left corner then speaker again and lower corner again and you will see a new service menu screen. Hold the override switch down about 5 seconds until you hear a beep. Hit the back button and your system will allow entries while in motion until you switch the ignition off.

Enjoy the Gen 5 Nav. Practice your voice commands and you will be rewarded such as
"nearest Italian food" when you need a pizza fix. "Showlist" will give you your choice of purveyors and then hit INFO and call in your order...

Rock