ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Climate control VR fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 08:19 AM
ckon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control VR fixed!

I just got back from having my nav unit replaced to address the problem of the climate control voice commands not being recognized. It looks like the problem is fixed!!

Still doesn't recognize all commands the first time, but it's working WAY better than with the old unit. Apparently, there's a new level of VR programming in the latest units.
Old 07-28-06, 08:35 AM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

My voice control for the temperture setting does not work either. What did you do to fix this?
Thanks
Old 07-28-06, 08:49 AM
ckon
Rookie

The dealer replaced the navigation unit.
Old 07-28-06, 09:36 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Very interesting. I also have had problems regarding the climate commands. When I went in for the 5K service one of the technicians spent some time with me on the VR and climate commands. We went into the diagnostic mode. There is a test in diagnostic to check the sound level of your voice. We ran through that a few times and then exited the diagnostic mode. Tried using the temperature commands and they worked for the first time since I have had the car. But the next day I could not get it to recognize the commands. BTW, the technician had problems getting the VR to recognize the commands. Guess I need to check back with them regarding an upgrade to the VR.
Old 07-28-06, 09:43 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

TNFAN, thats a nice picture.
Is that your backyard in the background?...nice beautiful lawn as far as the eye can see... Would be fun to drive your ES through all that greenery.
Old 07-28-06, 09:50 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Thanks! Not my backyard, just the golf course! Do not think I want to be responsible for mowing it!!

Sorry about the size of the picture. Will work on getting a smaller version done this weekend.
Old 07-28-06, 09:59 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I hope for the ES sake that you are positioned tactically away from tee boxes!
Old 07-28-06, 10:10 AM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by tnfan
Very interesting. I also have had problems regarding the climate commands. When I went in for the 5K service one of the technicians spent some time with me on the VR and climate commands. We went into the diagnostic mode. There is a test in diagnostic to check the sound level of your voice. We ran through that a few times and then exited the diagnostic mode. Tried using the temperature commands and they worked for the first time since I have had the car. But the next day I could not get it to recognize the commands. BTW, the technician had problems getting the VR to recognize the commands. Guess I need to check back with them regarding an upgrade to the VR.
I went through the same routine. The next day, the tech got on a conference call w/ Lexus and they recommended the replacement to the new level. Kind of odd that they can't do a firmware upgrade on a unit, but they just replaced it and it seems to work normally now. Not sure yet, but I think the other commands are recognized a little better now, too.
Old 07-28-06, 12:27 PM
tnfan
Rookie

Will follow up with the dealer and see what happens. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-04-06, 07:07 AM
ncblue
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VR climate control

Yesterday, I went to the dealer because I haven't been able to get my VR-CControl to work. I spent about 20 minutes with a tech without success. He then called Lexus Corp. and the stated that they are aware of the problem and the fix is to replaced a part behind the nav screen. I 'll check back after the part is installed! ( Lexus of Cool Springs)
Old 08-06-06, 12:50 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Default service bulletin

FYI: if you have access to techinfo.lexus.com you can look at the service bulletins. There is indeed one for this exact problem in the 350, and the fix is to exchange the NAV unit.
Old 08-06-06, 02:56 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB is #EL-008-06 Titled "Voice Commands for Climate Control are In Operative"

Applicable vehicles are those vehicles equipped with the Lexus Navigation System produced before the Production Change Effective VIN.

If you have a vehicle below VIN #JTHBJ46G#72022076, your vehicle is likely affected. If it is after this VIN #, the problem was solved. Hence why so many have said "Well, I don't have this problem".

Last edited by jeffofla; 08-06-06 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Last Paragraph: Changed "With" to "Below"
Old 08-06-06, 03:52 PM
tnfan
Rookie

Question

So my vin number is #JTHBJ46G#7200xxxx where xxxx is the last 4 digits of my vin number. I assume then this service bulletin would apply to my car?
Old 08-06-06, 03:57 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tnfan
So my vin number is #JTHBJ46G#7200xxxx where xxxx is the last 4 digits of my vin number. I assume then this service bulletin would apply to my car?
Possibliy. If you are experiencing the same issues, then it would apply because your VIN falls below the stated.
Old 08-06-06, 04:09 PM
tnfan
Rookie

I am experiencing the same issues so guess I'll contact the servcie department and check it out. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Climate control VR fixed!