ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Climate control VR fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 09:23 AM
Alien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV replacement for VR problem

Thanks for looking Chuck. What is the name of the dealership that did the swap? And do you remember when it was done (+/- couple weeks is OK). Thanks, Alien.
Old 08-21-06, 10:42 AM
ckon
Rookie

Lexus of Ann Arbor, late July, Ed McDiarmid is the tech.
Old 08-21-06, 02:15 PM
Alien
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV fix for VR problem

Thanks Chuck. Hopefully this will open the eyes of my service rep. I hope everyone (Lexus dealers) are talking to the same Lexus reps when they call to discuss this. Thanks again, Alien.
Old 08-24-06, 12:20 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having our NAV unit replaced (for VR temp commands) it stopped working after 2 days. My wife also says the one touch all doors unlock function is not working anymore either. I'm wondering if the tech reflashed the main computer system that also placed the custom settings back to default. Oh boy, back to the dealer again. We're driving the loaner RX so much I think I'll get it a parking permint for work! lol
Old 08-26-06, 12:21 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingKing
Do you really need these comands to work? Are you guys this lazy? The lexus tech prob are laughing b/c it's a known joke at all dealerships that ES customers are the cheapest customers and always complain the most.
If you're willing to be a sucker and spend upwards of $50,000 for a product that everything doesn't work, by all means, go ahead. I've spent almost $90,000 on Lexus autos (2) and service for them at my dealer. You can damn be sure that every single piece of equipment on that car down to the Led lightbulbs in the cabin and the sensor on the tires is going to work. I chose another Lexus based on multiple factors - including the technology of voice recognition. If I would have known that everything wouldn't work on my car, I would have gone with the Mercedes E350 I was looking at. And yes, I do use multiple commands in my voice recognition.
Old 08-26-06, 12:49 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Please keep this thread to discussion on the Climate Control VR. Thanks.
Old 08-29-06, 06:58 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm scheduled Friday to have my nav unit replaced to correct the climate VR issue and to do some other maintenance (personalized settings, bumper defect fix, rear window area rattle, and front wind noise).

I told the dealer that I didn't want to come back and find out that they had to order a nav unit for me and it will in in X days. He said that they don't carry nav units in stock but that it would only be a day or two to get one if they needed it.

I responded that they did need it because there was a TSB for this issue and that my VIN# was included in the the affected cars. He looked it up, found the TSB, then immediately ordered the part so it would be on hand when I brought my car in. He also said that they would be able to transfer my phone numbers from the old nav unit to the new nav unit so I wouldn't have to re-enter them. Yea!

It was due to the information found on this forum that I was able to avoid having to return a second time to the dealer to replace the nav unit. Information is power. This is the kind of info that makes Club Lexus such a value and a service to myself and other Lexus owners.

Thanks to all involved in this particular thread and keep up the great work.
Old 08-29-06, 08:15 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I'm scheduled Friday to have my nav unit replaced to correct the climate VR issue and to do some other maintenance (personalized settings, bumper defect fix, rear window area rattle, and front wind noise).

I told the dealer that I didn't want to come back and find out that they had to order a nav unit for me and it will in in X days. He said that they don't carry nav units in stock but that it would only be a day or two to get one if they needed it.

I responded that they did need it because there was a TSB for this issue and that my VIN# was included in the the affected cars. He looked it up, found the TSB, then immediately ordered the part so it would be on hand when I brought my car in. He also said that they would be able to transfer my phone numbers from the old nav unit to the new nav unit so I wouldn't have to re-enter them. Yea!

It was due to the information found on this forum that I was able to avoid having to return a second time to the dealer to replace the nav unit. Information is power. This is the kind of info that makes Club Lexus such a value and a service to myself and other Lexus owners.

Thanks to all involved in this particular thread and keep up the great work.
Our replacement unit failed shortly after bringing the car home. Perhaps you can cycle the car on and off several times and drive it around the block a few times while still near the dealership. It seems most people that have had their units replaced the problem is corrected so I'm not sure what is up with ours.
Old 08-29-06, 08:41 AM
ckon
Rookie

I'd like to add that while not all voice commands are equally useful, many are handy to have around. I've recently activated the Bluetooth feature and it works very well with VR.

The VR in general now seems to recognize spoken commands much better than before the replacement of the nav unit. Most commands are now recognized with the first attempt - something that rarely happened before.

Last edited by ckon; 09-01-06 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-01-06, 10:38 AM
currie0522
Driver School Candidate

Default Next candidate

In the help screen, there is a voice command called next candidate. Has anyone figured out where and how to use this command? I've thought it would be a scroll down command, but I haven't seen it work.
Old 09-02-06, 12:24 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Exclamation

I had the new head unit installed yesterday and all of the VR commands for the AC work perfectly. I've already used them several times since yesterday afternoon here in the hot San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.
Old 09-09-06, 06:43 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my car back from service on Friday. The display unit was replaced to fix the VR climate problem and the VR controls work perfectly.

For the record, you will lose your phonebook & speed dial entries but none of your nav entries. It's the display ecu, not the nav ecu that's replaced to fix the problem. It took me about two hours to reenter all my phone numbers.

I had some minor wind noise that the dealer found was due to a missing rubber plug under the car causing wind "tunneling" through the car pillars. Whatever. Things sound the same or maybe better - as I said, it was minor and not the same issue others have mentioned in this forum.

They were also to repair a half-pea-sized gouge that was in the front bumper on delivery. My wife bottomed out the car the second week we owned it - tore up the underside shroud and scraped up the bottom of the bumper pretty good. I purchased the shroud which I was going to bolt on myself. The dealer not only fixed the gouge, he repaired the bottom bumper damage, installed the shroud, and repainted the entire bumper - free! The car looks better than when I picked it up new.

I love that Lexus service.

Last edited by dreyfus; 09-09-06 at 06:56 PM.