ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ultra-Luxury worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 06:06 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra-Luxury worth it??

So, I am not an ES350 owner yet but.......

I am ready to buy and been looking and looking and was hoping for some insight from Lexus owners. Is the Ultra-Luxury worth the price over the Premium Plus w/NAV?

Also, Black Onyx or SGM?
Old 07-19-06, 06:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UL will give you a different wheels, ML stereo, glass panoramic sunroof, rear power shade and some other minor things depending on the package. So, you have to evaluate those 4 main upgrades from Premium+ to see if they make a difference in your driving experience. You will hear a feedback based on others personal preferences, at the end of the day - you have to decide what is best for YOU. Maybe you should test drive both cars to see how you like it?
Old 07-19-06, 06:31 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

The hard part is finding one in VA (Richmond). I have yet to see a UL come though here yet. Also, the PP I am looking at has the rear sun shade, so the main difference is the roof, wheels and audio.

Can anyone comment on the quality difference between the ML system and the regular system?

Thanks

*Edit*

Are the wheels different between the two or just the tires?
Old 07-19-06, 06:57 PM
nstan20
Driver School Candidate

Big mistake on my part. I had the Mark Levinson in my 2005 ES330 and really enjoyed the sound it projected. Couldn't get the ultra model in the color I wanted so I purchased the premium plus model. What a disappointment in the sound quality from this so called premium radio. If I had the opportunity to do it over again, I would have waited a few months for the ultra model. I love the car but I don't appreciate the poor quality of the radio. I guess I allowed all the other strong features of the ES350 to cloud my decision making process.
Old 07-19-06, 07:12 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the UL package. The only options I don't have are the parking assist and the dynamic radar cruise control. I would highly recommend the UL package. For the few thousand more that it costs, you'll get years of enjoyment and no chance for regret like nstan20 experienced.
Old 07-19-06, 07:15 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the UL package and have not regretted the decision. The sound system is terrific. It is more than just the equipment. They spent time "voicing" and balancing the system for the car. I was listening to a relatively new release through the iPod on the way home and was surprised by the amount of detail and the spaciousness of the sound. Yes, the equipment may not be as good as some of the custom stereo systems you may see on other parts of this forum, but the time the designers spent makes up for some of it.

From my perspective I would have been uncomfortable with a decision to buy less than the best equipped. Even now I regret that I did not get the parking assist and the pre-collision system. I did get the aftermarket back-up sensors installed. I guess if you have not lived with the UL car you might not miss not having the included toys but, riding home today with the stereo at a moderate level, glass roof panels exposed, ventilated seats on, and Nav system doing its thing, I was very pleased with my purchase. Especially when I looked at the tank MPG at 29.3 (alright it was only the first quarter of the tank).

Summary: buy the UL!
Old 07-19-06, 08:40 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

If you could afford the extra cost, UL is worth it. For me, I made it a firm limit that I would only go for a PP w/NAV as the cost of the UL will blow my budget off and I have several other commitments that I have to keep in mind. On the other hand, I have not really seen a car with the dynamic cruise control. Does anyone's ES350 have that and what do you think of it? I believe that option was an extra $500.
Old 07-19-06, 10:37 PM
richbutler
Rookie

I love my es350 with the Ultra package. The only option I don't have is the dynamic radar and the parking assist; neither were available. I regret not getting the parking assist, but I'm used to the dimensions of the car now.

Don't forget that the seats in the Utlra are covered in extra soft leather and the driver's seat has the seat bottom cushion extender. I really enjoy the panaromic roof and the ML stereo. I would not have bought the es350 without the Ultra.
Old 07-19-06, 11:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

While I'm not in the market for the ES350, I can't imagine getting it without the UL package, particularly the ML & Panorama sun roof
Old 07-20-06, 12:34 AM
SWL
9th Gear

Default Glass Roof Worth the price of admission

Originally Posted by rboyle23
So, I am not an ES350 owner yet but.......

I am ready to buy and been looking and looking and was hoping for some insight from Lexus owners. Is the Ultra-Luxury worth the price over the Premium Plus w/NAV?

Also, Black Onyx or SGM?
Having seen both options, the glass roof totally sets this car apart from others. This is not to mention the Mark Levinson sound, optional wheels etc.

I'm glad I went with the UL............

Good luck

SWL
Old 07-20-06, 03:07 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned my UL Editon since May 4th, and as time goes by I knew that it was a wise decision that I bought this model, mainly because I wanted the ML sound system which is only available on the UL's. The only option that was missing on my car was the Radar Cruise Control because it wasn't available at the time of my purchase.....but I don't miss it. I love this car more then any ES's I've owned. This is my 4th. since 1990.
Old 07-21-06, 11:09 AM
richbutler
Rookie

I drive an Ultra with the Nav and ML sound system with all options except for radar and park assist.

I drove an es350 loaner that had leather, wood steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, no Nav, and standard sound.

Wow! What a difference. The leather between the UL and standard leather was really different. Much softer and pliable on the Ultra. The ML sound system vs. stock sound was also really substantial. The panoramic roof on the Ultra also makes this car feel extra special.

Of course the ride, power, and handling on both cars are the same......however I think the Ultra and other options that you are forced to buy with the Ultra really make a huge difference to me!

After driving the loaner, I'm really glad I spent the extra money for the Ultra. It also helped that my dealer gave me a bigger discount on the Ultra vs. the premium with Nav.

Last edited by richbutler; 07-21-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-21-06, 11:21 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question regarding Panoramic sunroof. Beside panoramic view which I'm sure looks very impressive, how about the functionality? I mean, its damn hot outside (90+ on East Coast), and you gotta have A/C with all the windows up. Of course, this panoramic sunroof is an option lifted right of Scion tC (except on a Scion its a rattling piece of cr*p). Also, its a great value to get in $40+ car while some Mercedes have it in $60+ car. But, does it actually bring you "closer" to a feeling of a convertible car? Wasn't that an idea behind it?

I actually really enjoy the feature where you hold Open button on a FOB and all the windows and sunroof opens up before you get into the car. But, than it so hot outside, I have to roll everything back up and crank up the A/C and butt cooler
Old 07-21-06, 11:42 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richbutler
I drive an Ultra with the Nav and ML sound system with all options except for radar and park assist.

I drove an es350 loaner that had leather, wood steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, no Nav, and standard sound.

Wow! What a difference. The leather between the UL and standard leather was really different. Much softer and pliable on the Ultra. The ML sound system vs. stock sound was also really substantial. The panoramic roof on the Ultra also makes this car feel extra special.

Of course the ride, power, and handling on both cars are the same......however I think the Ultra and other options that you are forced to buy with the Ultra really make a huge difference to me!

After driving the loaner, I'm really glad I spent the extra money for the Ultra. It also helped that my dealer gave me a bigger discount on the Ultra vs. the premium with Nav.
You said it all......I agree completely!
Old 07-21-06, 12:22 PM
dp5
Driver

I second what everyone else has said. I have a SGM UL car w/ parking assist but w/o the dynamic radar cruise control. I toyed with the idea of not getting the UL car. I am now very glad that I did. The sound system, higher quality leather and 10-spoke wheels are the primary reasons that I am glad I got the UL. This car is nice at whatever option package you choose but the UL really turns it into a real luxury car that is second to nothing else in its class.

Quick Reply: Ultra-Luxury worth it??