ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ultra-Luxury worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 12:27 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richbutler
I drive an Ultra with the Nav and ML sound system with all options except for radar and park assist.

I drove an es350 loaner that had leather, wood steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, no Nav, and standard sound.

Wow! What a difference. The leather between the UL and standard leather was really different. Much softer and pliable on the Ultra. The ML sound system vs. stock sound was also really substantial. The panoramic roof on the Ultra also makes this car feel extra special.

Of course the ride, power, and handling on both cars are the same......however I think the Ultra and other options that you are forced to buy with the Ultra really make a huge difference to me!

After driving the loaner, I'm really glad I spent the extra money for the Ultra. It also helped that my dealer gave me a bigger discount on the Ultra vs. the premium with Nav.
You have a UL without Park Assist?

I thought that was standard on the UL.
Old 07-21-06, 12:28 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Park Assist is NOT standard on the UL equipped cars.
Old 07-21-06, 02:19 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
Park Assist is NOT standard on the UL equipped cars.
So I got something extra on my car?

Cool!
Old 07-21-06, 02:30 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
So I got something extra on my car?

Cool!
I got it too!
Old 07-21-06, 02:33 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by twister
Question regarding Panoramic sunroof. Beside panoramic view which I'm sure looks very impressive, how about the functionality? I mean, its damn hot outside (90+ on East Coast), and you gotta have A/C with all the windows up. Of course, this panoramic sunroof is an option lifted right of Scion tC (except on a Scion its a rattling piece of cr*p). Also, its a great value to get in $40+ car while some Mercedes have it in $60+ car. But, does it actually bring you "closer" to a feeling of a convertible car? Wasn't that an idea behind it?

I actually really enjoy the feature where you hold Open button on a FOB and all the windows and sunroof opens up before you get into the car. But, than it so hot outside, I have to roll everything back up and crank up the A/C and butt cooler
The panoramic portion of the sunroof is a slightly larger version of the sunroof in the front except you cannot open it. The panoramic portion allows the rear passengers to see up and bring light to the back seats and gives spaciousness to the back seats. From the back seat, you feel that there is extra head room when the shade is in the open position. You can also slide the sunscreen over the panoramic portion just like the sunroof in the front. There's no extra heat build up and no extra noise.

Plus the roof of the car is ALL glass that is tinted black in areas that you can't see out. Picture the area after the windshield and before the back glass being covered in glass without extra molding trim to interrupt the flow of the roof line. A very nice look in my opinion. I chose silver as the exterior to go with the color of the roof.

Hope this helps....It's one of these features you have to see and experience to understand.

Alan posted a pic of his roof from the inside in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223922

Last edited by richbutler; 07-21-06 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-21-06, 02:48 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

I bought a PP w/Navi, swivel headlights, and park assist. The only UL options I don't have are extra sun roof, ML, ten spoke wheels, and I guess extra soft leather from what others have said. I'm very satisfied but the pioneer stereo is not the best especially for this kind of money. Anyway I saved three grand so I don't mind at all. I guess it depends if you are a music buff or not. I say if you can afford the extras get them, if not don't bother. Bt the way Lexus is not making cars with swivel headlights and parking assist until fall per the dealer rumor going around. Good luck
Old 07-21-06, 05:05 PM
ES350LUV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bash4
I bought a PP w/Navi, swivel headlights, and park assist. The only UL options I don't have are extra sun roof, ML, ten spoke wheels, and I guess extra soft leather from what others have said. I'm very satisfied but the pioneer stereo is not the best especially for this kind of money. Anyway I saved three grand so I don't mind at all. I guess it depends if you are a music buff or not. I say if you can afford the extras get them, if not don't bother. Bt the way Lexus is not making cars with swivel headlights and parking assist until fall per the dealer rumor going around. Good luck
I concur...

I got the PPP w/ Nav and a few other options but personally the panoramic sunroof was a bit odd to me with the design of the car. And the question really is...after the initial wow factor of the car...is the better sound and the better sunroof with better leather worth the extra money? It was a clear no to me but its your call.
Old 07-21-06, 06:53 PM
calmondo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bash4
FYI, I took delivery two days ago of an ES350 and it has swivel headlights and parking assist. It arrived in port at Long Beach on July 17. In general it was a PP+ configuration. Dealership in Southern California
Old 07-22-06, 12:20 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

Most of the production schedule is pre-planned as well as pre-allocated. Thus the car calmondo got was built a month ago & they don't plan on going back to that configuration until the fall. Their production model is a big factor in the small price increase even with all they added to the 350.
Old 07-22-06, 12:42 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all up to a personal choice. I looked at ES350 as an entry level luxury sedan, and picked Peremium Plus with additional options as all that I need. But you also have a choice to take it to the next level with NAV or go even further with UL package. I was amazed by how much comes standard with PP. I'm not gonna go into NAV discussion, we already talked about it enough. As for UL package, if your sunroof is not open, with exception of better wheels, from outside it will look the same. So, its not something that you get to impress others, but to impress yourself. Therefore, it all up to you to set your pampering limit

Just as a side note, if you care about impressing outsiders, you would go with GS or LS to show people you are driving a more upscale luxury car. I overheard neighbors in my townhouse development already *discussing* my car as "oh, this is ES model, the cheapest entry level Lexus". Let them think that way and to continue driving and complaining about their BMW and mechanical problems every week
Old 07-22-06, 01:06 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Just as a side note, if you care about impressing outsiders, you would go with GS or LS to show people you are driving a more upscale luxury car.

For me...it was never about impressing others. If I could get the features and refinement of the UL es350 on a Camry, I would have bought the Camry. If it was only about impressing others, I would have bought the s-class mercedes.
Old 07-22-06, 01:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

mmhmm. It depends whether you see the ES as an entry-luxury car or a mini LS.

Apparently, Lexus Canada says the top model was designed for current ES owners to move up if they wanted another ES, rather than move to a GS. I don't know but the salesman said he had several people (including his dad) who bought the base ES (ours come with quite a bit of stuff.. I guess it might be the premium? equivalent to the US?) because it was cheaper than their ES300/330s when they bought it and has more equipment.
Old 07-22-06, 06:16 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by richbutler
For me...it was never about impressing others. If I could get the features and refinement of the UL es350 on a Camry, I would have bought the Camry. If it was only about impressing others, I would have bought the s-class mercedes.
I was not directing my comment at anybody specific I just gave an example of different point of view some might consider. Its all about the personal choice and also your own psychology. I know plenty of people who make their decisions not based on any rational thinking but rather on common society standards. They might like a certain car but will not buy it because others will consider it as entry level or not "cool". So, they end up driving bimmers and than complain about warning lights and all the technical problems
Old 07-23-06, 12:54 PM
ES350LUV
Driver School Candidate

I was not directing my comment at anybody specific I just gave an example of different point of view some might consider. Its all about the personal choice and also your own psychology. I know plenty of people who make their decisions not based on any rational thinking but rather on common society standards. They might like a certain car but will not buy it because others will consider it as entry level or not "cool". So, they end up driving bimmers and than complain about warning lights and all the technical problems

Man...I hate to admit it but that was a factor in my first consideration for a new car as well. If the price range was similar, I placed the Benz and the Bimmer as top choice but once I test drove the ES and went over the specs and details...the Lexus took it away. I know so many around me that say the same thing. They thought about this and that car but they ended up with the Lexus and we all feel so good about that decision. Im telling you, there is something about a Lexus that in undeniable.
Old 07-23-06, 01:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

And, sometimes the choice is between luxury and non-luxury cars. Me personally, I bought '05 Highlander for my wife right before our daughter was born. And did I hear an ear full about not buying RX instead. We enjoyed Highlander more, it had more room, and with its ridiculously low price (I got a very good deal) - it was the best value I could turn down. One of my friends was choosing a few years back between Maxima SE and bimmer 3-series. He clearly loved the ride of Maxima better, but ended up going with a much more expensive bmw because it would fit better with *standards* where he worked (business world ).

I actually just had a neighbor asking me about my ES350 because they are counting hours when their lease on a bimmer is up. Everybody clearly agrees - no matter what trim you choose for your ES350, its still the best value all around!!!

Quick Reply: Ultra-Luxury worth it??