ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 08:38 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad we're not all in the same area. Otherwise we could meet at a Lexus dealership and all ride along in each others cars to determine who has what problem, and what is normal and what is not. Then we could go and compare this to the sales demo's of the ES350 and just for fun, listen to the engine noise from an RX350.
Old 08-07-06, 01:33 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
There's simply no question that the new engine is louder than either the 3.0 or the 3.3 that preceded it.
Maybe your engine is louder, but mine is NOT!

And, sadly, the sound is not a nice "throaty" growl. It's a harsh, clattering kind of sound. The word "sonorous" does not come to mind when listening to the new engine. Definitely NOT up to typical Lexus standards IMO.
Yup.......you must have something wrong with your engine, because when I tromp on the accelerator, I definitely get a very satisfying "throaty" growl through the dual exhausts.
Also, the exhaust sounds are determined by the engines camshaft grind and the type of mufflers and resonators used in every particular model.
Old 08-07-06, 02:22 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i find it a tad bit louder when the car is cold started. I let it warm up for 2 mins and it gets quieter. i think this is normal for all motor vehicles....just laws of physics.... Things are more stiff from a cold start naturally.
Old 08-09-06, 09:17 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus123
i usually dont carry passengers in the backseat, but today when i picked up my friends and they sat in the back, i noticed the backseat made a loud click when they sat down (just in case you're wondering, no, my friends are not obese ) it's only when you sit down that it makes one loud click sound. there's no noise when you get up. the loud click can be replicated when i push down on any part of the back passenger seats. has anyone else had this problem? is this a problem that the dealer should be able to fix?
That should be a simple fix. They just pull out the rear seat cushion and check the springs. It's most likely a misaligned spring that needs straightening.
Old 08-09-06, 09:20 PM
lexus123
Driver School Candidate

thanks so much! sorry, i deleted my post and started a new thread for it when i realized that this thread was about engine noise and not noises in general. =)
Old 08-09-06, 09:23 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that's what I figured........I didn't know where your post went.......I thought I was going crazy. LOL
Old 08-09-06, 09:50 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Psychodoc says this:
"And, sadly, the sound is not a nice "throaty" growl. It's a harsh, clattering kind of sound. The word "sonorous" does not come to mind when listening to the new engine. Definitely NOT up to typical Lexus standards IMO."
But Consumers guide says this in their road test:
"Among class leaders. Excellent isolation from road and wind. V6 heard only as rich-sounding growl in rapid acceleration."
Who do you believe? I believe Consumers Guide, because I felt the same feeling when accelerating my car!
Old 08-09-06, 10:30 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by amf1932
Psychodoc says this:
"And, sadly, the sound is not a nice "throaty" growl. It's a harsh, clattering kind of sound. The word "sonorous" does not come to mind when listening to the new engine. Definitely NOT up to typical Lexus standards IMO."
But Consumers guide says this in their road test:
"Among class leaders. Excellent isolation from road and wind. V6 heard only as rich-sounding growl in rapid acceleration."
Who do you believe? I believe Consumers Guide, because I felt the same feeling when accelerating my car!
I agree with doc on this one. It is NOT a rich-sounding growl. It would be more credible if Road and Track, Car and Driver, or another more enthusiast car magazine gave it that rating. Frankly, I don't hold the "Consumer Guide" up to that level. Just my opinion.
Old 08-10-06, 06:38 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richbutler
I agree with doc on this one. It is NOT a rich-sounding growl. It would be more credible if Road and Track, Car and Driver, or another more enthusiast car magazine gave it that rating. Frankly, I don't hold the "Consumer Guide" up to that level. Just my opinion.
I see from some of your former posts that you seem to have engine noises that I DON"T have, so therefore, maybe that's why you don't have the, " rich-sounding growl" that I do. hehe
Old 08-10-06, 09:03 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by amf1932
I see from some of your former posts that you seem to have engine noises that I DON"T have, so therefore, maybe that's why you don't have the, " rich-sounding growl" that I do. hehe
hahah LOL There are lots of good things about the es350....but REALLY..... the engine sounds are NOT one of them. After my clicking noises go away after a few minutes of operation, what is left is definitely NOT a growl... If you want to hear a real growl, listen to the G35, the Z, the vette....those are a REAL growl
Old 08-10-06, 09:10 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

The reason these cars have a different sound is mainly because they have a hotter camshaft grind, and, or different muffler baffling. Our sweet 'lil ES's are much more civilized.
Old 08-10-06, 11:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Maybe "the rich sounding growl" is in the ear of the beholder"? Our ES sounds "nice", for a sedate sedan, when you get on it.
Old 08-10-06, 12:05 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

IMO the engine sounds nice at low RPM's- almost a small v8 sound at slower speeds. However, when you really get on it, it actually sounds as if the engine struggles. There is almost a wine. The engine is more than sufficient enough to get the car going but it's by no means a "throaty growl"
Old 09-05-06, 03:54 PM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Knocking sound on cold start only

Originally Posted by Har
This is great information, David, I 'll talk to my serivce manager again and see what he says this time. I may have mislead him by stating it was a pinging sound when I spoke to him on the phone. At the very least , I will push this issue at my 5,000 mile appointment. I am interested to learn if more of you ES 350 owners have this same problem and how your dealer may have resolved this matter. Is it odd that some ES 350s have this problem and others don't? I wonder if it is damaging the engine. I bet it will sound worse on a cold winter start in Maine.
I have ES 350 with 6100 miles on it. Have noticed this sound for the last 3 to 4000 miles. Not sure if it was there when first got it.
I am a perfectionist and don't like the sound.
However it goes away after about 10 minutes. It is more noticable with slow acceleration around 2000 RPM and if I mask noise with loud radio.
Told Service about it and left it overnite so they could listen to it when cold.
They said could not duplicate noise. This is hogwash because it is there every morning I start up. I have gone to only 93 octane gas. Had been using Plus 89 Octane but see no difference.
Other than this car is perfect in all other aspects.
Old 09-05-06, 07:21 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nyardich
I have ES 350 with 6100 miles on it. Have noticed this sound for the last 3 to 4000 miles. Not sure if it was there when first got it.
I am a perfectionist and don't like the sound.
However it goes away after about 10 minutes. It is more noticable with slow acceleration around 2000 RPM and if I mask noise with loud radio.
Told Service about it and left it overnite so they could listen to it when cold.
They said could not duplicate noise. This is hogwash because it is there every morning I start up. I have gone to only 93 octane gas. Had been using Plus 89 Octane but see no difference.
Other than this car is perfect in all other aspects.
Nyardich,
Well, you have had the cannot duplicate claim, but is it better than a claim that it is the fuel injection doing this along with the introduction of timing chains in the Es350, or a piston but the piston is normal?
I have been told both as a supposed explanation for something you should not hear in the car, every day, several times a day if the car cools down between driving.
I had independent second opinions, both said it is not normal, one said it sounds like a rod about to go through the engine block and that my being told fuel injector or piston but piston is normal is pure and total BS. The other said both excessive lifter noise and/or rod or partially collapsed valve or valves as valve sound is not only loud it is also disrythmic.
I have only ever used 93 octane gas.
My car is in the shop right now for this and other issues like excessive wind noise at speed, transmission spikes to RPM, I'll know in the am if the wild stories and explanations will continue for these abnormal conditions.