ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 12:38 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer fixed my passenger window rattle during the week. They duplicated the problem - just closing the door hard would make it rattle.

Dealers report said 'Removed door panel, window track guide rattles. Resecured and insulated window track assembly'. Worked great for two days. Started up again yesterday. Will take it back again this week.
Old 07-25-06, 02:57 PM
Har
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
Change fuel grades? Sometimes you just want to smack these guys My Avalon has the same engine and at 10,000 miles I developed an oil leak that the technicians could not find while letting the engine run on their hoist. The Regional reps from Toyota figured it out. They explained to me that this engine has a high pressure oil line that feeds the upper part of the engine only on startup then the "regular" oil circulation system takes over. So if oil circulation is critical at startup for these engines then maybe the lack of quick circulation (high pressure line or blocked oil channels in the casting might cause some people to hear "valve clatter" or ticking sounds ?? However, I am no mechanic and this is only a wild guess on my part.

Brio, did your cold start noise ever go away? Mine didn't and we left it at Lexus overnight so that the lead machanic could hear that annoying metal on metal noise. (Brio)Mine sounds like a diesel until warm. I complained to Lexus and was told that cars with "direct injection" have more valve clatter. The noise sounds like the car is malfunctioning.

I received the same response this morning. The sales manager said that the noise is coming from the aluminum injectors and they are loud until they warm up. I am ver surprised that other have not experienced this same noise issue. Alan is your ES still quiet upon start up?

The service manager cold started up a new ES 350 on his lot and it sounded louder than mine!

I was told that "this is normal" and he can't do anything about the noise unless of course a TSB comes out replacing the rails or injectors from aluminum to plastic...Lexus was very sure that it was not an oil circulation but definately the fuel injection clatter.

I'll take my wife's solution and just turn up the audio and stop being so ****...now if I can only solve the wind noise issue-I guess I will wait for my 5,000 check-up.
Old 07-25-06, 03:16 PM
ES350LUV
Driver School Candidate

So...it seems like some cars do clatter upon cold start up and some dont?

I have heard this noise off of other ES 350s (when I test drove it) and thought that they made them a bit noiser this time around...but if some do and some dont....im just afraid that this will turn out like the tranny prob and become something to be fixed later for those few that do make the noise...

Anyone else out there who notices this with their ES?
Old 07-25-06, 03:27 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES350LUV
So...it seems like some cars do clatter upon cold start up and some dont?

I have heard this noise off of other ES 350s (when I test drove it) and thought that they made them a bit noiser this time around...but if some do and some dont....im just afraid that this will turn out like the tranny prob and become something to be fixed later for those few that do make the noise...

Anyone else out there who notices this with their ES?
Mine just started making the noise at about 1200 miles. When it was brand new, there was no noise. The best way to describe the noise is it sounds like a diesel from inside the car until at least a few miles. The car tempurate gauge shows the car is warm within a block (I live in sunny and warm CA.) However, the clatter continues for at least several miles.

Do you guys think this is just the valves? I'm bringing the car back to the dealer tomorrow for other work. I will bring this up. My last loaner es350 didn't have this problem.
Old 07-25-06, 03:55 PM
Har
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by richbutler
Mine just started making the noise at about 1200 miles. When it was brand new, there was no noise. The best way to describe the noise is it sounds like a diesel from inside the car until at least a few miles. The car tempurate gauge shows the car is warm within a block (I live in sunny and warm CA.) However, the clatter continues for at least several miles.

Do you guys think this is just the valves? I'm bringing the car back to the dealer tomorrow for other work. I will bring this up. My last loaner es350 didn't have this problem.

Richbutler, I am quite concerned about this issue as, unlike you, live in a slightly colder climate with long cold winters in Maine. If my ES 350 makes noise in 80 degree weather upon start up, I am willing to bet that it is going to sound louder and longer at 10 below. My Lexus service manager and lead mechanic told me this morning that the "diesel sounding noise" was due to the direct fuel injection. I am interested to hear what your Lexus dealer says about your noise issue. Mine said he can't do anything about this unless there is a TSB associated with this issue.
Please keep me(us) posted as I know from experience that winter or at least colder weather is just around the corner in ME.
Old 07-25-06, 04:04 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Another question....as someone else mentioned, are the camry 3.5 v6 engines also making this noise? How about the IS350 too?
Old 07-25-06, 04:12 PM
Har
Driver School Candidate

Another question....as someone else mentioned, are the camry 3.5 v6 engines also making this noise? How about the IS350 too?
This was posted by 4TehNguyen on 7/10/06 :IS350 has that valve ticking noise also its normal

My question is why do some have the noise and other don't? Ala, are you sure you don't have this cold start noise? Possibly because it has been very hot & steamy in Brooklyn?
Old 07-25-06, 04:47 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy to say that my car is as quiet as a mouse when starting up.....and I'm generally a very critical guy when it comes to any noises or sounds that don't seem right.
Old 07-25-06, 06:28 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amf1932 deserves to have a perfect car this time around. From his postings he had issues with his previous ES300. It's only right that he gets a perfect vehicle this time
Old 07-25-06, 06:37 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
amf1932 deserves to have a perfect car this time around. From his postings he had issues with his previous ES300. It's only right that he gets a perfect vehicle this time
Thanks wanderer. This is the main reason I traded in my 2003 ES with only 16K miles. The transmission problems were driving me crazy.
Old 07-25-06, 09:15 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brio
Wind noise is excessive but has anyone noticed a lot of valve clatter on start up. Mine sounds like a diesel until warm. I complained to Lexus and was told that cars with "direct injection" have more valve clatter. The noise sounds like the car is malfunctioning. This is the same engine as the Camry '07 V6 and I am surprised that I have not seen other complaints. This is my second Lexus and for the money, it's a very nice car. Our other car is a Mercedes. It's great to drive but reliability has been poor.

I had that in my acura and believe it or not changing to a thicker oil helped, if you want to stay at the recommended weight, change to redline oil, its a little thicker 5w30 and for some reason or another helped with the chattering/clattering valves. I always put in premium gas so that was happening with premieum fuel.
Old 07-26-06, 09:40 AM
richbutler
Rookie

i got the same response from the dealer that because of direct injection, there is a lot of injector noise upon start-up. the dealer said that if enough people complain, the factory will be inclined to produce a fix via a tsb. my dealer said that this was also a problem on the is350.
Old 07-26-06, 02:45 PM
ES350LUV
Driver School Candidate

So..what is the botton line...

It is just a noise problem or can it lead to other problems or is it related to any engine trouble? Im just really worried....anyone?
Old 07-26-06, 03:02 PM
Har
Driver School Candidate

i got the same response from the dealer that because of direct injection, there is a lot of injector noise upon start-up. the dealer said that if enough people complain, the factory will be inclined to produce a fix via a tsb. my dealer said that this was also a problem on the is350.
What constitutes a complaint? Does the fact that Brio, you and I brought this issue to our dealer as a complaint/concern count, or do we each have to formally complain to a higher power?
If so, who should I (we) call or write to?
Old 07-26-06, 03:31 PM
richbutler
Rookie

i was told by the dealer that this noise is not an engine lubrication issue and will not lead to any longevity issues. the noise is caused by the injectors and our direct injection system. as my dealer mentioned that before the new is350 with direct injection, they never had a problem with engine noise; i know my dealer is eager for this noise issue to resolved too.

i would think that we should complain to lexus corporate about the "normal" operation of their product and that they lexus corporate should issue a tsb to correct this problem. as of now, there is nothing the dealer can do. if lexus corporate hears from enough owners, they will more likely fix this problem. don't forget that the is350, the camry v6, and the gs350 also fall into the same category. lexus/toyota needs to understand that it is their best interest to fix this noise issue.

in addition to notifying lexus corporate, we should have the dealer "write up" this problem too. in case there is a future problem related to this noise, we can show documentation that this occured early into ownership and within our warranty period.

any thoughts?

Last edited by richbutler; 07-26-06 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Noises