ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Grey Interior Blues....go with Black Mats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 02:27 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grey Interior Blues....go with Black Mats?

I'm coming up on two months with this car and I just can't keep the floor mats clean. And it's not like I drive on dirt roads or anything like that. Far from it. I've already had to deep clean the floor mats twice to try to keep the brown foot marks at bay. But I'm already loosing the battle. There's no question it won't take long before they need to be replaced. Not so much an issue with my previous cashmere cars!

Anyway, I am considering going with black mats after I loose the battle. Actually I had a grommet come apart on me today, which I find unacceptable. I think I deserve a new one!

My car is SGM so I think it may look OK. I could have sworn I saw a pic a while ago of a car with grey interior and black mats. Can someone repost the pic or direct me to the thread?

Anyone else having this issue? Comments or suggestions appreciated.
Old 07-08-06, 05:00 PM
tnfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the tungsten pearl with the gray interior. Had the same issue with the mats. Purchased black as a replacement and they look great to me. Those who ride in the car for the first time do not know the difference. Sorry I have no pictures!
Old 07-08-06, 05:08 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I had the same problem with my gray GS's original mats. I replaced them
with all season mats. The all season mats may not look as luxurious, but
I can live with the way they look and to me they are way more functional.

If you do get these parts, I would NOT buy from the dealer (RIPOFF) and
instead get them from some other more reasonable source like
lexus-parts.com
Old 07-08-06, 07:52 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, I am considering the same solution for my 02 ES. I have the light charcol interior with gray mats. I want to go with black ones next. The passenger and rear mats are virtually spotless. The driver's mat sees the inside of an industrial washing machine about every three months but will need replacing soon. If you go with the black ones, post a pic. If I go first, I'll post up.

steviej
Old 07-09-06, 07:54 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

I also want to get the all weather mats but don't know what color to get with the cashmere interior. Why doesn't Lexus make the custom mats match the color of the interiors. There are 3 interior color choices and 3 mat choices but they don't match. I'm leery of having too many interior colors. I don't think brown mats would go with any of the interior choices. Should I go black or grey (which would at least match the dashboard).
Old 07-09-06, 08:02 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the Tungsten pearl with the gray interior. The Lexus 4 piece gray mats look great in the car. BTW, the Lexus mats also have the hooks for the rear floors too. Our dealer charged $110.00 for the set which I think is fair. The last set of mats I bought direct from WeatherTec (another car) was $85.00 and they were not as tight a fit as these mats made for Lexus.
Old 07-09-06, 10:16 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity (having the SGM with grey mats), what does it cost to replace the driver/passenger matts from the Lexus dealer directly?
Old 07-09-06, 10:53 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Posted pictures in my gallery of interior with black mats and also exterior photos. Not sure how to create a link to my gallery but sure you can figure it out.
Old 07-09-06, 11:35 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Thanks tnfan! Looks very nice. I kinda like the contast actually. Did you get those at the dealer and if so, how much?
Old 07-09-06, 12:15 PM
tnfan
Rookie

I mail ordered them from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. Price was $138 plus shipping which made it $150. Would have cost me about the same at local dealer but I just didn't want to hassle going over to the dealer to order. Picture does not do justice to the way it looks. They look even better than the picture depicts. They contrast really nice with the darker grey dash/trim and look like they are what should have come with this color scheme. I also have the all weather black mats which I hope not to use this winter!
Old 07-09-06, 12:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for pics!!! Since I'm waiting for my Tungsten Pearl to arrive next weekend, for now I can just drool over your pictures Also, sounds like I made a good call by getting black leather interior...
Old 07-09-06, 12:39 PM
tnfan
Rookie

Just a matter of personal preference on the interior color choice. I really like the grey. And I am sure you will like the black. Just don't like the light grey mats. They started showing dirt after the first week of usage. Enjoy your car!
Old 07-09-06, 07:35 PM
redman
Driver School Candidate

To begin, I'm aware lot's of folks have an aversion to "clear" mats - looks like grandma's living room furniture back in the day, etc., etc.

Having said that, we too have Tungsten Pearl with a Grey Interior. And, being "old" Lexus people, we strive to keep our cars garaged and really, really clean. Our new driver's side mat began showing dirt almost from the day we got it. I read a few comments here about those "Wal-Mart Specials" and I got a set - BAD idea! They were very cheap and flimsy and they stuck to your foot and wrinkled up everytime you moved. We then looked at the all-weather Lexus mats and they seemed too bulky and SUV-like. To us, they just didn't look very nice in the ES-350.

Our dealer also had a heavier, much better quality, clear mat that is computer cut especially for this model. I think they cost about $50-60. I know they're vinyl but they look ok, they stay put, they feel fine, you can see the Lexus logo through them, and they really do keep the carpet clean! For info, the lable says: (Protect-a-mat LX-629 4PC 07-07 ES-350 2PC Front/2PC Rear)

Be Well, The Redman