ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 08:17 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 477030
So do I take it that "The Flaw" does not permit the display to scroll? Does't that truncated display infuriate you? That 'Best of Ni' could anything or anyone, and we'll never know!
HI,

1. No, you cannot scroll, pity. Even in my wife's Quest w/o Nav you can at least scroll. Mrs Lexus, are you listening?
2. No, I would be more infuriated if I had to live with XM. I really like Sirius and the sound is almost CD quality.
3. "The Best of Night Calls" with Ginger Lynn and Christy Canyon!!! Like I said, you can't do that with XM. No wonder I have such a good time on the ride home from work in the afternoon!
Old 06-26-06, 08:25 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sirius reception is horrendous, at least on the G35 that I've heard it in. XM seems much stonger, as their technology is more advanced.

Also, what fun is listening to a Playboy show on the radio? Not really into wacking my bag listening to girls voices. While I'm driving, no less.
Old 06-26-06, 08:31 AM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

So do I take it that "The Flaw" does not permit the display to scroll? Does't that truncated display infuriate you? That 'Best of Ni' could anything or anyone, and we'll never know!
Nope - It doesn't scroll, it just stares at you with 10 completely infuriating characters. I'm hoping someone comes out with an upgrade that fixes this.
Old 06-26-06, 09:34 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
The Sirius reception is horrendous, at least on the G35 that I've heard it in. XM seems much stonger, as their technology is more advanced.

Also, what fun is listening to a Playboy show on the radio? Not really into wacking my bag listening to girls voices. While I'm driving, no less.
I have not noticed a problem in reception except going under some underpasses. I cannot tell which underpass will cause a problem either. It is only a minor annoynace. Since it uses a digital format the signal is either good quality or non-existant, much better than FM and all that static.

And, the show is quite entertaining, funny, and makes the miles fly by. It's just one more entertainment option that you have available, one that is not available on XM. And, I'm not into doing that either, driving around or not.
Old 06-26-06, 10:58 AM
gportiz
Driver School Candidate

Default No release date

I contacted the Lexus customer support line to ask about the Sirius option for the ES350 and I was told that there is no release date for this option as of yet. According to the support agent, they found some problems with the Sirius kit and are currently trying to work the bugs out. I'm sure it has something to do with the 10-character alpha-numeric display issue.
Old 06-27-06, 11:00 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gportiz
I contacted the Lexus customer support line to ask about the Sirius option for the ES350 and I was told that there is no release date for this option as of yet. According to the support agent, they found some problems with the Sirius kit and are currently trying to work the bugs out. I'm sure it has something to do with the 10-character alpha-numeric display issue.
I'm waiting on delivery next week of my Tungsten Pearl UL, and I asked my dealer if they could do a Sirius install before I picked it up. The dealer verified what you're saying, above, but elaborated on the problem they seem to be having, and it is to do with reception problems. They have kits that will work in the ES350, but apparently these are not the final, model-specific kits that, as noted, have no release date associated with them as of yet. Hopefully in addition to fixing the reception issues, these puppies will be able to display more info on the nav screen.
Old 07-10-06, 01:06 PM
07ES350
Driver School Candidate

Default XM is installed

Originally Posted by nstan20
$903 plus tax to install XM on your new ES350? That is a rip off! I ordered XM for my new ES350 and was charged a total of $499 for the tuner and insallation. Some other posts that I read had XM being installed for less that $499.
I just completed installing the XM Tuner in my wifes car. It was a sinch to install. I think the only hard part was the removal of the plastic panel clips. I ordered the tool to remove them, but I never received it in time, so I used my divot tool instead. It worked just as good.
Thank you very much for your input on the character issue. My XM displays 16 characters.

Thanks again.
Old 07-10-06, 05:40 PM
hperel
Driver School Candidate

Default XM & Sirius

I have XM installed when I bought my car. I hate XM (Sirius is light years better) but I have to deal with it. Is it possible to have both Sirius & XM through my navagation? Would I need two antennas?
Old 07-10-06, 06:07 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hperel
I have XM installed when I bought my car. I hate XM (Sirius is light years better) but I have to deal with it. Is it possible to have both Sirius & XM through my navagation? Would I need two antennas?
I agree that Sirius is waaaaaay better than XM. I'll live with the 10 characters for years before even considering switching to XM just to get a 16 character display.

Having both in the nav would take both receivers, each with its own antenna. The hard part will be coming up with a switch or "Y" cable so the two receivers could share the one satellite input to the nav system.
Old 07-11-06, 03:46 AM
hperel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hitsme
I agree that Sirius is waaaaaay better than XM. I'll live with the 10 characters for years before even considering switching to XM just to get a 16 character display.

Having both in the nav would take both receivers, each with its own antenna. The hard part will be coming up with a switch or "Y" cable so the two receivers could share the one satellite input to the nav system.

Thanks for the help, I had Sirius for the past 2 years and music and sports are way better on Sirius then XM forget that Howard is on Sirius.
Old 07-16-06, 09:53 AM
Driver School Candidate

Angry Sirius No More?

Looks like references to Sirius have been taken off most of the ES350 portion of Lexus.com. Looks like it won't be available at all. If that is the case, I am going to break some ***** at my dealership. I know this probably sounds obsessive and a bit pathetic, but I specifically did not buy an Acura TL on the basis that they did not offer integrated Sirius. I was going to wait a while and see what came along and, lo and behold, the ES350 drops to earth with Sirius as an option supposedly available later this summer. I bought the car and I have been patiently waiting for the magic Sirius box to arrive at the dealership. Now it seems as if I have been duped!
Old 07-16-06, 11:58 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Looks like references to Sirius have been taken off most of the ES350 portion of Lexus.com. Looks like it won't be available at all. If that is the case, I am going to break some ***** at my dealership. I know this probably sounds obsessive and a bit pathetic, but I specifically did not buy an Acura TL on the basis that they did not offer integrated Sirius. I was going to wait a while and see what came along and, lo and behold, the ES350 drops to earth with Sirius as an option supposedly available later this summer. I bought the car and I have been patiently waiting for the magic Sirius box to arrive at the dealership. Now it seems as if I have been duped!
I agree with you 100%; Sirius is an absolute must!

Without it there's no Howard Stern and a world without Howard is....well, you get the idea.

Thankfully it doesn't affect me because I have my Sirius set up at home and I tape the entire show every day and listen to it in the car and at home on cassette tapes.

Thank goodness they kept the tape player in the car.

That's one of the major reasons I didn't buy the BMW 530xi last summer, no tape player.

Lexus should be ashamed of itself for not offering Sirius as a factory installed option.

A disgrace!
Old 07-16-06, 12:50 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

I understand the benefits of "factory installed," but as opposed to living without Sirius, what's so wrong with getting the dealer installed unit that so many of us have?

It does have the 10 character flaw, but it is directly connected to the navigation system, plays through the superb ML audio system, responds to the dash buttons and voice commands.

I bought my ES350 at Longo in CA and the dealer installed Sirius came with it absolutely free, including a free nine month subscription. They have it pre-installed in every ES350 on their huge lot.
Old 07-16-06, 02:26 PM
jkekos
Driver School Candidate

Smile sirius rx350 question

We have a 2007 rx350 that is predominately driven by the wife. I want to get SIRIUS intalled. What are my options? I have been reading the post and wonder what is the difference between factor or dealer intalled. If dealer installed will the sirius come through the nav display? Sorry, but I am a Lexus/satellite newbie. Thanks, dean
Old 07-16-06, 04:06 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had a Sirius plug and play for many months. It was installed in my 02 es300. When I ordered my ES350 here in NJ, I decided to go the with the SIrius Lexus option for $486 as a PIO (Port installed option) as it was built in/permanent. . However, when the car came in GUESS WHAT? It never got installed. Think I'm taking my Clarion Calypso with lots of features and going to have it installed in the 07 es350. A company named PANAVISE makes a bracket which is very solid and is very similar in location to my 02 Es300 bracket. The part number is 75136-200. Here's a link if anyone wants to see a pickture of the bracket location :

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/inda...92297922121048

Link is long so you'll have to cut/paste in 2 pieces.

Their brackets are solid steel and very stable.
It's got many holes to mount the plug and play cradles to.
My Clarion cradle has 4 screws holding it to the bracket.

The site also has instructions on how to mount the bracket as well.

Maybe this option would be a good alternative for you guys.....

Quick Reply: Sirius