ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 02:50 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the SoundLinQ system for my Ipod. I am hoping that whoever does the install will do this hack at the same time. These safety features are driving me crazy and in my opinion more likely to cause an accident. Yesterday I tried to use the voice recognition to make a phone call that I did not have on speed dial. After about 10 tries of it getting the number totally wrong, I gave up. It was totally distracting to me to try and read the number off my cell phone 10 times to try the call. I am not very happy with the voice recognition on this system. I really wish there was a way to change a user settinng on these 'so-called' safety features without having to hack your nav system.
What is Lexus thinking here? They know people are going to want to do this. So they ought to make a procedure that we can use if we choose to without tearing the car apart.
Old 06-23-06, 09:26 PM
07ES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cleblanc
I just bought the SoundLinQ system for my Ipod. I am hoping that whoever does the install will do this hack at the same time.
How did the install of your SoundLinQ go? I was thinking on buying the SLX version and doing the work myself, but man I'm afraid of taking apart the head unit surrounding trimming. I looked it up on the Lexus service manual and it seems easy but there are a lot of clips I think I would break off in the process.

Let me know how your install went.
Old 06-24-06, 03:18 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by 07ES350
How did the install of your SoundLinQ go? I was thinking on buying the SLX version and doing the work myself, but man I'm afraid of taking apart the head unit surrounding trimming. I looked it up on the Lexus service manual and it seems easy but there are a lot of clips I think I would break off in the process.

Let me know how your install went.
I haven't done the install. I just ordered it on the group buy. It should be here next week. I am not planning to install myself. Right now I'm looking for an installer who will hopefully do the hack at the same time. To me the car audio features (details screen) is totally useless without the hack. Having the Soundlinq ipod interface and not being able to see the details will really annoy me.
Since you have the service manual, can you please verify me that the wiring is the same as what is posted on the 2IS websites - that you need to cut the pink wire and the white one (with silver lining). Since I don't have the ML stereo, I don't have to worry about the grounding the red wire.
Old 06-24-06, 01:24 PM
07ES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have the service manual, can you please verify me that the wiring is the same as what is posted on the 2IS websites - that you need to cut the pink wire and the white one (with silver lining). Since I don't have the ML stereo, I don't have to worry about the grounding the red wire.
I physically don't have the service manual. I viewed an electronic service manual from http://techinfo.toyota.com/ They charge $10/day, $50/mo. or $350/yr. My subscription will end today. If I find what you are asking for I will let you know.
Old 07-02-06, 03:54 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by 07ES350
I physically don't have the service manual. I viewed an electronic service manual from http://techinfo.toyota.com/ They charge $10/day, $50/mo. or $350/yr. My subscription will end today. If I find what you are asking for I will let you know.
Did you find any info about this? I tried to do the hack today on my ES350 when I had the VAIS unit installed. My backup camera got disabled and the hack didn't work. I'm going back to the installer on Wednesday to see if we can fix it.
Old 07-02-06, 04:16 PM
psp
Pole Position

When I had mine installed on Friday they said that the Nav system hack in the ES is not the same as the IS or other ones that he has seen.
Old 07-02-06, 04:27 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by psp
When I had mine installed on Friday they said that the Nav system hack in the ES is not the same as the IS or other ones that he has seen.
Did he say if there is one that would work? At the very least, my installer will reconnect the wires. But it would be nice to get this working.
Old 07-03-06, 06:28 AM
psp
Pole Position

Did he say if there is one that would work? At the very least, my installer will reconnect the wires. But it would be nice to get this working.
They said they would keep an eye out for one. I'll post if I find out anything.
Old 07-03-06, 06:37 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by psp
They said they would keep an eye out for one. I'll post if I find out anything.
Thanks!
I did download the wiring diagram and verified it is completely different for the ES350. I really wish I had done this before I had the installer try the hack. The speed sensor wire is not pink - it is a light blue wire.
Old 07-03-06, 06:21 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done the hack to allow speed-dependant functions to be allowed... sort of.

First off, I've been unable to get it to work. I've got the wiring and disassembly instructions from http://techinfo.toyota.com/ and took my ES350 apart. I looks really scary but it is actually easy.

Anyway, the speed sensor to the display unit is light blue, and the speed sensor from the display unit to the Nav unit is orange. Cutting the speed wire to the display and routing it directly into the Nav (and cutting the display-to-Nav speed wire) should work, but alas it does not.

Leaving the blue speed wire disconnected from both the display and the Nav allows all the speed-dependant functions to work even if you're moving (expected). The jumping Nav screen is also present (expected) because the Nav needs the speed input to correct the GPS. So far, so good.

But connecting the speed wire directly into the Nav not only corrects the jumping Nav screen (expected), but disallows the speed-dependant functions (unexpected). It's as if no changes were made at all and the entire unit operates as if it were stock.

So I'm still trying to figure out where the display unit is getting its speed information when the orange speed wire between the display and Nav is disconnected. Rats!!

I've got documentation and pictures of everything, but it doesn't make sense to post them until the hack works. In the mean time I'm open to suggestions AND I have my trim pieces scattered all over my garage...

Last edited by dreyfus; 07-03-06 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 09:36 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I've done the hack to allow speed-dependant functions to be allowed... sort of.
Hi...have you had any more luck in finding a hack that will work on the ES350? I'm going back to my installer tonight to undo the hack they did the other day. It would have been nice to try something else while I'm there. I don't want to do just the light blue wire though and have a jumpy nav.
Old 07-05-06, 10:22 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If I come up with a solution I'll be sure to post it. But right now I'm stumped.

I've reassembled my car leaving the speed sensor wire directly connected to the nav and not the display. The car functions just like a stock model. Sigh....