ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Homelink won't program

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 04:59 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Homelink won't program

Our only complaint so far is that our Homelink will not work. When you attempt to lock in a code with a remote device you do not get the fast blink to confirm acceptance. It just keeps that slow blink. Tried clearing old codes and also followed the instructions at Homelink but still no fast blinky. Roving code instructions don't work either.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (07-11-23)
Old 05-26-06, 05:16 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What brand of garage door opener do you have....

and how old is it? Are the batteries good in the remote? Newer systems will have a rolling code. Have you programmed a homelink to your system before?

Depress the outside buttons one and three on the cars homelink for about 30 seconds until the LED flashes rapidly. Next select the button to be programmed and hold the remote and homelink button down at the same time sometimes rotating the transmitter to get a good signal. Usually within 10 seconds the LED should flash rapidly.

If you have a rolling code you should go up a ladder to the motor head unit and remove the light cover. You will find a square or sometimes round button that you should press for 2 seconds and release. Quckly (you only have 30 seconds) go back inside the car and push the programmed homelink button for about a second... release...push again and it should be working...if not push once more and that should do it.

Rock
Old 05-26-06, 06:01 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Thanks Rock but I've done it correctly. I even dumped out the codes from the garage opener and reprogrammed my Avalon Homelink just to make sure. Oh well, punchlist item number one.
Old 05-26-06, 06:44 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure this is much help. But I had a problem with my garage door right after I purchased my car. Having the same problem you did coding the Homelink, I asked the garage door repairman to see if he could fix it. Not sure exactly how he did it but he actually used the remote to activate the Homelink. I too have the rolling link technology and had tried training the homelink and the opener with no success. If I remember correctly, he reprogrammed the remote and then used the remote to activate the Homelink. BTW, he first cleared the Homelink codes. Good luck.
Old 05-26-06, 07:27 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I dont have a ES but i do have an RX with homelink and i tried programming it to the garage but i didnt work. i soon found out that it didnt work for that particualr type of garage door, so maybe you car is not compatible with that garage door
Old 05-26-06, 08:33 AM
redman
Driver School Candidate

Just a little more info......Seems I remember seeing something indicating if the opener was 1984 or earlier it probably wouldn't work.

We picked up our ES from Lexus of New Orleans a week ago yesterday. We had our opener with us in the LS400 we left with them, so the salesman just set it up right there on the showroom floor. He said, "There, now if I've done this correctly, it should open when you get home." He did and it opened! We're about an hour and a half from New Orleans; however, if your not too far perhaps you could drop by and see what they can do? Be Safe and Well, The Redman
Old 05-26-06, 10:16 AM
redman
Driver School Candidate

Ooops!

Of course I meant if you weren't too far from "your" Lexus dealer, not New Orleans! I just thought I'd clarify that before someone else does it for me.
Old 05-26-06, 04:18 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Thanks redman, I'll think I'll try taking the remotes to the dealer and see if they have any tricks not in the book. Of course talking my wife into leaving the car with me might be more difficult than it is worth. BTW, the 2 garage door openers are only 2 years old so age should not be a problem, and as I mentioned I can program my 2005 Avalon just fine.

Thanks for the tips guys
David
Old 05-28-06, 03:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You seem pretty adept at the programming...

with your past experience and your Avalon. I have come across possibly two defective Homelinks in 10 years but maybe there have been others. Take your remote to the dealer and try it on another ES if possible, maybe the floor model in the showroom. Hold any button down until the LED flashes slowly then try to program the button holding the remote close and Homelink button at the same time. The LED should flash rapidly within 10 seconds. In some cases you might have to hold it slightly longer. If the second ES works like your Avalon then it must be the Homelink unit itself. They will need to order it as it is not a stocking item and it's for a new model.

Rock
Old 05-28-06, 05:02 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

I took one of the garage remotes to an isolated area near my house and the Homelink DID program. The only thing I can think of is that there is some type of RF interference near my house. I had tried to program the silly thing both in my garage and in the driveway. I'm glad that it is now working but I can't explain why it did not work before.

Do you suppose it could be those corkscrew energy saving light bulbs I use around the house? Or maybe one of the neighbors TV dishes?
Old 06-02-06, 08:22 AM
LaredoSam
Driver School Candidate

Default It took me a while to program it, too...

It was a bit frustrating, having easily programmed the garage remotes and a homelink on our previous car, to spend over 20 minutes programming the ES 350's one. The manual is a bit vague, it has 2 programming procedures. Neither of them worked for me.

Apparently, it just takes LONGER - about 30 seconds to find the right rolling code (at least for my garage opener).

From what I remember, you have to hold a programmable button first, till the red homelink LED flashes. Then press and hold the open button on your PORTABLE remote, holding it a couple of inches from the mirror. Release and press again the HOMELINK mirror button.

Alternatively, just keep the portable remote button pressed next to the mirror during the whole procedure.

Also, you have to HOLD ES350's Homelink button for a second or two (as opposed to pressing it momentarily) to activate the garage opener.
Old 06-02-06, 11:15 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Ours is still not working right. My wife got home last night and she was in the driveway and the homelink would not open the garage door for her. This morning her homelink is working fine again. I'm sure it is not the garage door unit because I'm in and out all day long with my Avalon and it has never acted up before. I'll let the techs play with it at the first oil change.
Old 06-14-06, 06:20 PM
robertgmar
Driver School Candidate

Default Teh Solution for me was:

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
Ours is still not working right. My wife got home last night and she was in the driveway and the homelink would not open the garage door for her. This morning her homelink is working fine again. I'm sure it is not the garage door unit because I'm in and out all day long with my Avalon and it has never acted up before. I'll let the techs play with it at the first oil change.
I had a similar problem, I had an old 3rd party opener for my garage door. I tried to program my ES350 from it but it would not work. I reset the whole garage door system etc, even put a new battery in that opener. Went to Sears, spent $40.00 on a new opener, programmed it to open the garage door, I then was able to program my new ES350 and Wife's RX330. Wierd but it worked. Hope that helps..
Old 06-15-06, 06:37 AM
Weas1e
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Homelink Programming Steps

I was having issues as well with programming my homelink. I had thought I tried everything. Read and re-read the owner's guide, checked the garage door opener's website and the homelink website and I was still unable to figure it out.

Then I spoke with my Lexus dealer and he walked me through the steps. It ends up being quite simple .

I should first state that my opener is a rolling code model, which supposedly makes it a little more involved. Also, I started in my driveway with the garage door down. I take no responsbility if you somehow get yourself, your pet or your car crushed under the garage door .

Make sure you have erased all/any codes by holding the first and third homelink buttons until the homelink light flashes quickly (this can take upwards of 20 seconds)

A. Program the handheld garage door opener to your car's homelink button

1. Hold the desired homelink button down you wish to program and simultaneously hold the handheld garage door opener button down until the homelink button light flashes quickly (should only take 5-10 seconds)

B. Program your garage door opener to recognize the new remote/your vehicle's homelink button.

1. Find the Training/Learn button on your garage door unit. You may need a ladder. It usually has a small light above or below it.

2. Push the Training/Learn button. You will have 30 seconds to get back to your car.

3. Go back to your car and push the homelink button you previously programed in A up to 3 times. I pushed it once and released. Then I repeated this. I believe it took 3 times to program it for my Lexus and 2 for my other vehicles.

4. You can stop when the garage door opens/closes.

Hope this helps.

BTW: my garage door opener is a Liftmaster Professional by Chamberlain
The following 3 users liked this post by Weas1e:
dsysana (08-22-19), jmcohen23 (05-03-18), kjhughes (01-02-20)
Old 07-01-06, 06:17 PM
iatacs19
Rookie

Weas1e,

Thank you for your instructions, after much frustration I was able to program my ES350 and it's Homelink.

Quick Reply: Homelink won't program