ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 04:59 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wizhill, I'm really, really sorry to hear about your car. Did the dealer just acknowledge the issue and decide themselves to fix this, or did they call Lexus Corporate first and get some direction on what to do, and how to deal with the customer?

Was there anything that happened before the transmission died that others should watch for as a signal of impending death?
Old 07-17-06, 07:58 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
wizhill, I'm really, really sorry to hear about your car. Did the dealer just acknowledge the issue and decide themselves to fix this, or did they call Lexus Corporate first and get some direction on what to do, and how to deal with the customer?

Was there anything that happened before the transmission died that others should watch for as a signal of impending death?
Hey Wanderer,

It was about 3pm when I dropped the car off today, so I really don't know what they've done yet. Over the phone the service tech told me he hadn't heard of the problem, but once I got there he confided (quietly) that the dealer had seen at least one other, and he knew of the problem from reading CL. I told him that others had simply had their cars replaced, and inquired as to how my car was to be handled. He indicated that he'd have to brief his service manager on the problem and it would be his decision on how to proceed. It sounded like they'd just be replacing the tranny.

I'll be impressed if they replace the car. I'll be satisfied and a tad disappointed if they only replace the transmission. I'll keep CL posted on what happens.

Regarding the impending death of the transmission, I would have to say no. I had witnessed the transmission revving up and having not shifting into second on one other occasion, but it was around 800 miles and it corrected itself. No idiot lights ever came on, either, so I figured it was a fluke. Today when it died there really was no warning, unfortunately.

I purchased the car on May 28 and the dealer had had it for a month before then, so it was definitely one of the first off the line. My guess is that if you have a car produced after the first US deliveries, you'll have no problem.
Old 07-18-06, 01:10 AM
AD&AD
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 350 Severe Transmission issue and VSC warning after 480 miles

Hi,

We bought an ES 350 four days and 470 miles ago. This evening we limped into the local dealer to turn it into the service department. The car is shuddering at low speeds, then over-revving and slamming into the higher gears upon acceleration. This results in a momentary squealing of the tires once the proper gear is engaged. It is also shifting erratically. This started abruptly after 460 or so miles of clean (no issue) driving. NOTE: This condition WILL happen even if you ease away from a stop light at "old geezer" speed and has nothing to do with abuse or mis-use of the automobile in any way shape or form. In fact, we are gear-heads who are meticulously breaking in the vehicle BY THE BOOK.

The service manager said that there is no recall or service bulletin <this is tough to believe>, but he did disclose that there have been few (?) reports of similar transmission issues. He says that the typical course of action is to completely replace the transmission and give the owner a Platinum Warranty package free of charge. Another option involves giving the owner free service (this was a bit vague). He also alluded to a possibility of returning the car, but this was also very nebulous since we are not sure at this point if that meant a "complete unwind of the deal" (dealer speak for full refund), or if it merely meant an "exchange."

At this point, we're awaiting the verdict from the service department since they will be diagnosing the problem tomorrow.

Our car was purchased in Southern California. Per our service receipt, the production date on our vehicle is 05/01/06.
Old 07-18-06, 05:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very disappointed to read of these problems with the new transmission. I was very hopeful that the new transmission would mean the end of these problems.
Old 07-18-06, 05:53 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Sorry to hear that, this is not encouraging. I hope it is an anomaly and not a pattern.
Old 07-18-06, 09:27 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

But it is a pattern!!! with cars built in May and coming to US in early shipments. Of course, this theory is good up until we gonna start driving our cars build in June/July and someone will find a problem But, I hope it wont happen!!!
Old 07-18-06, 06:47 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AD&AD
Our car was purchased in Southern California. Per our service receipt, the production date on our vehicle is 05/01/06.
Hey AD&AD, welcome to CL. I'm sorry to see your first post was a negative one. :-(

Would you mind letting me know what dealership you're dealing with? (You can do it via PM if you don't want to post it publicly.) I’m dealing with the same issue with a dealer in southern CA, and I’d like to know what the other local dealers are doing.

Thanks…
Old 07-18-06, 07:26 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't seem to find the build date on my ES350?? Do you know where it is? On my 2003 ES it was on the door jam.

Alan
Old 07-18-06, 07:34 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Hmm, this topic is getting my attention. I am now close to 400 miles into my ES and I hope I won't be one that have the same type of problems, but I will keep it posted for you guys.
Old 07-18-06, 07:35 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

It is located in the drivers door area on the B pillar. You'll easily see the tire pressure info but this is a black label near the bottom hindge of the rear door facing outward. The date is put in the top right corner of the label, mine reads 0406. So far (1900 miles and no tranny issues for me.
Old 07-18-06, 10:09 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

wizhill mentions that he had slippage earlier on around 800 miles, things seemed OK after that, and now his trans is blown at 2000 miles.

Anyone else witnessed any slippage on their trans at all?
Old 07-19-06, 05:13 AM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Camry/ES350 transmission issues

For more information on this problem visit the Camry forum at Toyotanation:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

From what I gather, the new six-speed auto trannies used in these models are built by the supplier at factories in Buffalo, NY and Japan.

Obviously this has impacted Camry more than ths ES due the earlier arrival of the Camry and it's far greater sales numbers.

As an owner of a new 2007 Camry, I am also monitoring this situation very closely. My wife has a Camry V6 XLE with 1600 miles and no problems - so far.

Last edited by Gromulus; 07-19-06 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 10:31 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't this the reason that cars were delayed at the port? I bought My ES on the new launch date, 4/25.(it was supposed to be the prior week).

What I'd like to know is:

1. What geographical areas are these problems showing up in the most.
2 What is the manufacture date of the cars with the problems.

These two issues would really help narrow it (or broaden it) so it can be determined if there is a pattern here or not.
Old 07-19-06, 02:42 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
It is located in the drivers door area on the B pillar. You'll easily see the tire pressure info but this is a black label near the bottom hindge of the rear door facing outward. The date is put in the top right corner of the label, mine reads 0406. So far (1900 miles and no tranny issues for me.
Thanks......I found it. I also found out that my car was manufactured March 2006.....but I think so far I got a perfect one.....no rattles, all body panels line up perfectly, transmission shifts like a doll........all in all 100% perfect!!

Alan
Old 07-20-06, 09:03 AM
swedell
Driver School Candidate

My car (03/06) developed a shift slippage at around 4,000 miles (described in "transmission problem" thread). They brought a tech over from Japan with new transmission. Drove and analyzed the problem for a week. Replaced entire transmission.

Now at 5,000 miles and doing fine.

Quick Reply: ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)